Coronavirus - Part Two.

23 hours ago, El Cid said:

If the rate was 1%, that would be 1 death per 100

So a rate of 0.03% is 3 deaths per 10,000

For £4,500  would you risk it?  I wouldnt want my family to risk death at those odds.

£4,500 to a young person probably a life changing sum of money.

young people generally believe they are immortal and thoughout history old people have viewed young people as expendible and sent vast numbers to their untimely ends in various messy and unpleasant ways  this is no different. 

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

The chance of death?

drug trials bring with them the chance of death or serious inconvenience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35766627

4 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

Drug companies pay loads of people in medical trials, what makes this any different ? 

There is no difference between this and any other clinical trial in terms of compensating study participants for their inconvenience and covering expenses.  As petemcewan says, it's unethical to do otherwise.

33 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'd do it for £4500.

Fine - only 89 more needed.  Your country thanks you.  Just contact them, with a copy of your birth certificate............

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Fine - only 89 more needed.  Your country thanks you.  Just contact them, with a copy of your birth certificate............

Too old!

Pleased to see things seem to be going swiftly in some areas.

I followed up a text from my surgery, yesterday, and am booked for first jab next week.

I am in Risk Group 7.

6 hours ago, enntee said:

Pleased to see things seem to be going swiftly in some areas.

I followed up a text from my surgery, yesterday, and am booked for first jab next week.

I am in Risk Group 7.

had mine yesterday, very quick and efficient. 

I got in early in the session before the needle got too blunt.

My 83 year old mum - housebound, wheelchair-bound  and extremely medically vulnerable due to COPD- finally received her first Covid jab last Saturday - 13th April. It was done on a home visit  by a District Nurse and went well. The nurse was really lovely and kind and our old mum is very relieved to have finally got her jab. All is well so far. However, I am quite upset that she was left so late in the vaccination programme, My bothers and I had to make quite a few calls to her GP's surgery and to 119 before she was eventually included in the jab programme.  I thought that the old,  medically vulnerable people were supposed to get priority - but this didn't happen in my mum's case. In the meantime, vile criminals like Rose West, Gary Glitter & Levi Bellfield had already been vaccinated. Don't get me wrong - I know that prisons are confined spaces and that it makes sense to vaccinate the inmates, in order to protect them and the staff who have to look after them. I'm not saying that vile criminals shouldn't be vaccinated  - I'm just saying that totally innocent old biddies, like my mum, should have been given some priority...which just didn't happen.  

3 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Ministers have resigned for less, people have been sacked for less.

I won't hold my breath on this one though...not the Tory way.

There will no accountability, no apologies and at his desk (hiding from the media) Monday morning.

Thirsty Relic,

Just a thought experiment .

Two facets of  the ethics involved when considering Compensation. .Medical trial ethics experts  separate ,Payment from Compensation.

So, we are dealing with Compensation.

The two facets  are the following:

If the compensation is too low . Then in marches,  Exploitation.

If the compensation is too high. Then in marches, 

Incentives.

Over to you. You are temporarily  the Head of the Ethics Panel for this  Challenge Trial.

Avoiding the two ethical traps-too high,too low.

How would one arrive at  four and a half grand as  being the solution?

Edited by petemcewan