Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Annie Bynnol

I really do not mean to be rude. But it appears to me that you are moralising.

If so, you can take it up with , The Terrence Higgins Trust and NHS and the local council.

https://www.tht.org.uk/hiv-and-sexual-health/prep-pre-exposure-prophylaxis

I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

I would be much happier sticking to the topic of Covid, pointing  how a very contagious virus can be controlled by vaccination.

Using an example of a totally different virus, with totally different characteristics which  has no available vaccine even after 40 years, with 2 million new cases and 700 000 deaths annually is pretty  awful example of an alternative to vaccines 

Still like Glasto in Endcliffe Park, Weston Park much more quiet, little S/D at the former, with groups of, mostly men, walking together, not good

9 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

Still like Glasto in Endcliffe Park, Weston Park much more quiet, little S/D at the former, with groups of, mostly men, walking together, not good

They could be family. People police themselves these day's

Possible treatment for those with an impaired immune system and those having immune suppressing treatments. Good news for them.

In the campaign against Cov-19 nobody must be left behind,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55022288

Edited by petemcewan

Possible treatment for those with an impaired immune system and those having immune suppressing treatments. Good news for them.

Sounds good if it works - could also be of use when people are very ill with Covid in that it says it acts immediately. 

This is good news.

This is a protection for a very specialized group of people in the rich parts of the world.

Hopefully similar, affordable, accessible, cheaper and longer lasting ways of protection can help others in similar situations around the world.

Meanwhile if everybody who can take the current and updated versions of vaccine they will be better protected.

3 hours ago, petemcewan said:

@petemcewan - interesting, but the article is 4 months old!

Annie Bynnol.

Hopefully similar, affordable, accessible, cheaper and longer lasting ways of protection can help others in similar situations around the world.

I absolutely agree with you.

After 4 months it's possible that AstraZeneca (and others) have made some progress with the treatment.

I'll dig into it and see what I can find.

Edited by petemcewan

Some of these therapeutics look promising.

interferon delivered by nebulizer, (Synairgen); AZD7442, a long-acting monoclonal antibody combination that will be studied as both an infusion and an intramuscular injection (AstraZeneca); and Camostat mesilate, an orally administered serine protease inhibitor that may block SARS-CoV-2, 

AZD7442 is AsraZeneca trial.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/four-potential-covid-19-therapeutics-enter-phase-2-3-testing-nih-activ-2-trial

Edited by petemcewan

Amazing how AstraZeneca are on the tip of everyone's tongue nowadays after being virtually unheard of for many years. I worked for them all my working life, although they started out as ICI Pharmaceuticals before divesting from ICI and renaming as Zeneca, and then later merging with Swedish firm Astra. 

When I worked for them their share price virtually never got over £30 but is currently at £74 - although I try not to take that personally. It even got over £90 late last year!

Nobody ever seems to have a good word to say about pharmaceutical companies until they see how utterly reliant we are on their efforts. All people tend to see is just how much they charge for some of their drugs. What they don't see is how much the best scientists cost to employ and retain or how much money is invested in the discovery, development, registration and clinical trial of a product before the relatively tiny window of opportunity opens up to profit from it's sale before the patent runs out and the generic copyists take over. This doesn't of course apply to their current efforts for Covid but it'll do them no harm in the long-run, maybe even re-focus their future portfolio.

The irony for employees (and pensioners) of AZ is that they upped sticks from Cheshire and relocated to Cambridge to be part of a 'life-science' hub working closely with Cambridge Uni. And then they end up in partnership with Oxford Uni for the Covid vaccine! 

2 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Amazing how AstraZeneca are on the tip of everyone's tongue nowadays after being virtually unheard of for many years. I worked for them all my working life, although they started out as ICI Pharmaceuticals before divesting from ICI and renaming as Zeneca, and then later merging with Swedish firm Astra. 

When I worked for them their share price virtually never got over £30 but is currently at £74 - although I try not to take that personally. It even got over £90 late last year!

Nobody ever seems to have a good word to say about pharmaceutical companies until they see how utterly reliant we are on their efforts. All people tend to see is just how much they charge for some of their drugs. What they don't see is how much the best scientists cost to employ and retain or how much money is invested in the discovery, development, registration and clinical trial of a product before the relatively tiny window of opportunity opens up to profit from it's sale before the patent runs out and the generic copyists take over. This doesn't of course apply to their current efforts for Covid but it'll do them no harm in the long-run, maybe even re-focus their future portfolio.

The irony for employees (and pensioners) of AZ is that they upped sticks from Cheshire and relocated to Cambridge to be part of a 'life-science' hub working closely with Cambridge Uni. And then they end up in partnership with Oxford Uni for the Covid vaccine! 

It was the R&D that left for the new Cambridge site,   Alderley Park and Macclesfield are still employ thousands.

I remember hearing that it was not for profit but have since heard investors like Google will make a lot of money.