Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

Apparently some Chesterfield FC footballers have managed to get a jab. Funny old world....

Not really, I thought everybody knew that the Covid rules don't apply for professional footballers.  They are free to work and holiday abroad, hold large birthday parties, catch Covid, have time off work on full pay to recover and so on.  It's a surprise they want a jab, but perhaps its for a bet, or just to show they don't have to wait their turn for anything like the rest of us.  I think the real reason supporters are not allowed into grounds is to remove the risk of supporters catching Covid from the players!

3 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Not really, I thought everybody knew that the Covid rules don't apply for professional footballers.  They are free to work and holiday abroad, hold large birthday parties, catch Covid, have time off work on full pay to recover and so on.  It's a surprise they want a jab, but perhaps its for a bet, or just to show they don't have to wait their turn for anything like the rest of us.  I think the real reason supporters are not allowed into grounds is to remove the risk of supporters catching Covid from the players!

wouldn't the leftover jabs get wasted ? and if they are in the ground and happy to have the jab is that not better than it getting wasted ?

16 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

wouldn't the leftover jabs get wasted ? and if they are in the ground and happy to have the jab is that not better than it getting wasted ?

That’s exactly why they were given them.

From... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-55936490

She said the players and staff members were given the Pfizer vaccine, which is stored at sub-zero temperatures and has to be used up after being thawed .

It comes after a thousand doses of Pfizer vaccine - worth £12,000 - had to be thrown away in Warwickshire because a parcel was left unrefrigerated for two-and-a-half hours.

"They are very precious vaccines and we are trying desperately not to waste them," said the NHS staff member who was threatened.

"They had to get there within 15 minutes or it would have gone down the drain

I find it much more concerning to hear about the amount of angry phone calls and even threats that the staff received because of it.

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

From... https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-derbyshire-55936490

I find it much more concerning to hear about the amount of angry phone calls and even threats that the staff received because of it.

Yes really don't see the issue, it is much better than them going to waste, obviously think the staff working at the vaccination centres should be given more priority than players but if they are only getting wasted then crack on.

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

Concerning yes, surprising no.

Never underestimate the stupidity of some members of the general public, like the ones who attacked the home of a paediatrician thinking she was a peadophile.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

Unfortunately this pandemic has occurred at a time where social media (and possibly other forms of media) is rife with mistruths. Virtual witch hunts are seen, by some, as normal and socially acceptable.

The police often get slated for "over-reacting" to online threats but these threats are real and if left undealt with, can escalate rapidly.

12 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

Yes really don't see the issue, it is much better than them going to waste, obviously think the staff working at the vaccination centres should be given more priority than players but if they are only getting wasted then crack on.

I don’t have a problem with that although I’m more supportive of the centres who contact local police etc.  It’s the people who are deliberately cheating the system to get vaccinated whilst some over 75s are patiently waiting 

13 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

I also don't get this.

People seem to think we live in a perfect world.

To spell it out, say a venue gets 1000 vaccines. So they invite 1000 people, what if 50 don't turn up (for any reason whatsoever - their friends car who is taking them breaks down), and only 950 turn up?

Waste 50?

Or invite 1050 and hope 50 don't turn up?

What if they all turn up, and 50 then will complain that they wasted a day.

Just get a megaphone and shout in the street that there are 50 leftover, come and get it! And it reduces the numbers of people in future who will need it, bu 50 (x1000 places around the country)

This country has shown itself up as being the thickest nation in the world in recent months, IMO.

Including me, who now can't work out this new quoting system haha

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

Edited by *_ash_*

5 hours ago, catmiss said:

I don’t have a problem with that although I’m more supportive of the centres who contact local police etc.  It’s the people who are deliberately cheating the system to get vaccinated whilst some over 75s are patiently waiting 

If you read the reported quotes from staff at the centre involved, these football club players and staff were the last on the list of people they tried contacting who could arrive in time. Staff who are working 12 hour shifts, only for people to question their judgment from the comfort of an armchair.

Never mind, I'm sure they will treat everyone respectfully,  despite it not being reciprocated by some.

55 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

If you read the reported quotes from staff at the centre involved, these football club players and staff were the last on the list of people they tried contacting who could arrive in time. Staff who are working 12 hour shifts, only for people to question their judgment from the comfort of an armchair.

Never mind, I'm sure they will treat everyone respectfully,  despite it not being reciprocated by some.

I don't think it's a bad thing to ask why they were on the list. I mean, if they lived next door or the next street over to the surgery (they might, who knows!) then fair enough. But I can't help but think other people might have been just as close and more deserving. 

Does not justify being aggressive to nhs admin staff though.

Halls party with 150 students stopped in Sheffield. 

'Some partygoers fled through fire exits and set off alarms when officers were called to the Ranmoor Student Village in Sheffield.

South Yorkshire Police said one officer was injured amid the rush to leave.

The organisers have been fined £10,000 and more than 30 fines of £800 were issued'.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55950930

13 minutes ago, Janus said:

Halls party with 150 students stopped in Sheffield. 

'Some partygoers fled through fire exits and set off alarms when officers were called to the Ranmoor Student Village in Sheffield.

South Yorkshire Police said one officer was injured amid the rush to leave.

The organisers have been fined £10,000 and more than 30 fines of £800 were issued'.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55950930

I wonder if anybody has any idea if these fines for students are actually paid?

Students now rack up debt as student loans, which are only paid back if the individual earns more than a certain amount, and the rate of payback is limited as well.  I wonder if these fines are just added on, or whether there is some "attachment of earnings" or something that has to be paid first?

They are "fixed penalties".

Only half is due if paid within 24 days.

If paid within 28 days ... no criminal record.

If not paid within 28 days, magistrates may convict and you get a criminal record.

Plenty of incentives to pay it.