Coronavirus - Part Two.

Apelike.

It's an ethical issue for those deciding to run a trial which involves a placebo.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

In theory, a lockdown should only last two weeks. Anyone with the virrus should report all contacts and the app would also report close contacts. If everyone had been obeying lockdown rules, the virus should be gone IN FOURTEEN DAYS.

Some countries have zero COVID, some countries are still struggling.

In theory yes. However, the problem with Covid is the asymptomatic people passing it on to other asymptomatic people, passing it on to vulnerable people, etc, etc. If it was a virus that had obvious symptoms then a two week lockdown would probably work.

Apelike.

It's an ethical issue for those deciding to run a trial-in the first place- which involve a placebo.

The for and against arguments push one to pick a side.

For me the Utilitarian justification for invoking a placebo arm in a clinical trial. Is that it provides erroneous ethical guidance for decision making to  those constructing a clinical trial.

That is what I think.

13 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Apelike.

It's an ethical issue for those deciding to run a trial-in the first place- which involve a placebo.

That may be the case I agree but once the trial takes place the people in that trial know that they may or may not be given a placebo. The have signed up to the trial knowing that so for those in the trial it cant be an ethical issue.

It would be an ethical issue if my doctor gave me a placebo without me knowing but in the above case people know beforehand what the trial involves.

Edited by apelike

Watching BBC Breakfast news this morning & it was reported that all care & nursing homes in England should have their residents vaccinated by the end of February. 

That's the residents taken care of however, the staff are a different matter.  One large care provider, (think they mentioned they were called 'Vida Care'?), a spokesman said that around 30% of their staff refused to have a vaccine & there was nothing they, as an employer, could do about it. 

26 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Watching BBC Breakfast news this morning & it was reported that all care & nursing homes in England should have their residents vaccinated by the end of February. 

That's the residents taken care of however, the staff are a different matter.  One large care provider, (think they mentioned they were called 'Vida Care'?), a spokesman said that around 30% of their staff refused to have a vaccine & there was nothing they, as an employer, could do about it. 

If that's the case,   it shows that those staff who refuse to have the vaccine are not very caring after all.

A very selfish attitude .

49 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

If true, emergency legislation is surely needed so something can be done. We will never get out of lockdown with attitudes like this.

21 minutes ago, francypants said:

If that's the case,   it shows that those staff who refuse to have the vaccine are not very caring after all.

A very selfish attitude .

I agree.

What I find really sickening is that for nearly a year, people in care homes have been separated from their relatives and friends on the basis to keep the residents and homes free from COVID; yet some staff are refusing to have the vaccine, so potentially they could be carrying the virus, and spread it about the home.

I don't think anything can be done about this, but it is completely unacceptable.

Edited by Mister M

I am still at a loss as to why people are refusing the vaccinations in such numbers. Do they know something I don't? 

Having said that I still don't think the vaccinations should be compulsory.

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I am still at a loss as to why people are refusing the vaccinations in such numbers. Do they know something I don't? 

Having said that I still don't think the vaccinations should be compulsory.

Idiots who listen to other idiots "there must be something in it and I'm not being tracked by Bill gates". 

2 hours ago, whiteowl said:

In theory yes. However, the problem with Covid is the asymptomatic people passing it on to other asymptomatic people, passing it on to vulnerable people, etc, etc. If it was a virus that had obvious symptoms then a two week lockdown would probably work.

But if everyone is in lockdown, even the people without symptoms should not be mixing with others. So lockdown for 14 days and it will not spread.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

I agree.

What I find really sickening is that for nearly a year, people in care homes have been separated from their relatives and friends on the basis to keep the residents and homes free from COVID; yet some staff are refusing to have the vaccine, so potentially they could be carrying the virus, and spread it about the home.

I don't think anything can be done about this, but it is completely unacceptable.

Having the vaccine doesn't stop you from transmitting the virus to others, just protects from having severe symptoms and effects.  So it's far more important to get the residents vaccinated.

Maybe they feel they won't have any serious effects and want to take the chance?

20 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Is there a "postcode lottery" for people in Sheffield being able to get the Covid vaccine? My mum, who lives in the Hillsborough area,  is in her 80's. She's housebound & wheelchair bound with both legs amputated above the knee. She also suffers from COPD.  She has been assessed as being "extremely clinically vulnerable" and has daily Carer visits to look after her needs. She's not been contacted at all, or offered the Covid vaccine. I called her GP surgery, who told me that the vaccine would need to be done by a District Nurse visiting mum in her home. I called the District Nursing Service, who told me that they are not doing the jabs. A couple of mum's friends, who live in Mosborough, are still in their 70's and have no major underlying health issues, have already received both their first and second jabs.

How come reasonably fit and healthy people in their 70's have received both jabs in one part of Sheffield, yet an 80-plus, severely disabled and clinically vulnerable person who lives in another part of the city hasn't even been offered the first jab yet? Surely this is wrong? 

Perhaps because her friends could get to a vaccination centre?  I don't know what's happening with community services regarding the vaccine, but perhaps they have to wait for the Oxford/Astra Zeneca, which is easier to store and transport?

Edited by Becky B