Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 hours ago, petemcewan said:

El Cid,

Did they die as a consequence of being vaccinated ? Or did they get infected and were vaccinated to late?

I believe they died of COVID which they had picked up before the vaccine had time to build anti-bodies. So the goings on in Gibraltar should help us learn about the vaccine, if we can discus it sensibly.

El Cid,

Thanks for the reply. That is so sad.

I think we have to be wary of the tactic used by antivaxers.

Anecdotal "cause-and-effect" rumours that erroneously tie a person's untimely demise to the fact they recently got a COVID-19 vaccine.

4 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

El Cid,

Thanks for the reply. That is so sad.

I think we have to be wary of the tactic used by antivaxers.

Anecdotal "cause-and-effect" rumours that erroneously tie a person's untimely demise to the fact they recently got a COVID-19 vaccine.

I have a few friends that are delaying getting the vaccine, some of them are vulnerable and are the ones that need it the most.

We dont really know where COVID comes from. Test and trace should be much better, it is costing people their lives and the economy is leeching money.

12 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I have a few friends that are delaying getting the vaccine, some of them are vulnerable and are the ones that need it the most.

We dont really know where COVID comes from. Test and trace should be much better, it is costing people their lives and the economy is leeching money.

Are people tested before the vaccine with those quicker tests or just given the vaccine? 

41 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

Are people tested before the vaccine with those quicker tests or just given the vaccine? 

In Gibraltar it was stated that they were tested for COVID first, not heard if they do that in the UK

1 hour ago, MuteWitness said:

From the people I've spoken to, they ask if you have any covid symptoms and if not, give you the jab. No tests done.

Tinfoilhat,

That's exactly what happened to me.

I could have sent you down there instead of me for the jab.

No ID required. Name and address and DOB.

Stick your arm out and you are done. So it goes.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

In Gibraltar it was stated that they were tested for COVID first, not heard if they do that in the UK

I did mention on here a while ago that I though it was a sensible thing to do a test first but it was shouted down rapidly by people on here as a waste of time and money.

On another note about vaccine efficacy in the over 65's... I notice Macron has been given some grief over his claim that the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab "doesn't work as expected" and appeared to be "quasi-ineffective" in the over-65s. He also gets it wrong by claiming it could "accelerate the mutations". 

3 hours ago, apelike said:

I did mention on here a while ago that I though it was a sensible thing to do a test first but it was shouted down rapidly by people on here as a waste of time and money.

People are tested before a stay in hospital, but not before a visit to the dentist. Are will we still short on vaccines?

So perhaps a COVID test for a simple vaccination would be overkill, those giving the vaccine could wear full PPE

7 hours ago, West 77 said:

Delaying getting the vaccine when offered is an unnecessary risk to health and life.  We know that COVID is potentially life threatening to individuals that catch the virus and those it may be spread to.  The vaccine program is the best way out of the COVID crisis to save lives and get the economy growing again.

I'm glad you've said that. 

Backbench Tory MP Steve Baker, who is incredibly influential on a lot of Conservative MPs, and head of the ERG has been sabre rattling right throughout the period of the pandemic how the lockdown restrictions should be lifted, so that if enough people get infected then 'herd immunity will be achieved', which from what I've heard from health experts on the radio isn't true anyway.

As a member of the CRG (made up of 70 or so Tory MPs)  he threatened the PM that if he didn't lift lockdown then he would face a leadership challenge. Quite remarkable that a man with such views has so much power....

Edited by Mister M

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

People are tested before a stay in hospital, but not before a visit to the dentist. Are will we still short on vaccines?

So perhaps a COVID test for a simple vaccination would be overkill, those giving the vaccine could wear full PPE

I was thinking more that if an older at risk person had the vaccine but already had covid does that make recover less or more likely ? Im sure they must have tested it on those who already do have covid.

2 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

I was thinking more that if an older at risk person had the vaccine but already had covid does that make recover less or more likely ? Im sure they must have tested it on those who already do have covid.

I understand that they are seeking volunteers, even now. I guess they are still researching verious things. I guess they havnt had the time untill now.