Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Each GPs surgery and local authority will be different. I live in the Leeds area, cities will be easier to vaccinate.

OK - but have all residents and staff in care homes in Sheffield had the vaccine, as he claims?  Even if you give take it that he is referring to those who are willing to accept the vaccine?

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

He then goes on to say

"Between October and December, GP surgeries in Sheffield vaccinated 80 per cent of the over 60's with the flu vaccine"

I suspect a typo here - presumably he means over 80's.

Actually I was invited for a flu jab for the first time last September and at the time I was only 60. I don't live in Sheffield but I think the NHS had made a decision to try to prevent as many flu cases in the 'elderly' as possible. Since that time my wife has also been invited and she's only 57!

3 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Actually I was invited for a flu jab for the first time last September and at the time I was only 60.

In fact I was vaccinated in AstraZeneca's multi-storey carpark in Macclesfield. You couldn't fault the organisation, it was like a military operation.

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Scenes of large queues at Heathrow airport have emerged for a second day, sparking concerns over the lack of social distancing.

AeoEFwpG?format=jpg&name=900x900

ITV News on Twitter: "Scenes of large queues at Heathrow airport have emerged for a second day, sparking concerns over the lack of social distancing. https://t.co/LBV2XxqLk4" / Twitter

I thought one of the key reasons for Brexit was to control our borders. Seems that the Government are unable to even get that right :rolleyes:

I'd say that's a great example of controlling our borders.  Nobody gets just to stroll through. 

Ever been to the US? 

Don't forget, this is a Coronavirus thread, not the Brexit thread & perhaps the Border Force are actually doing their jobs deligently, checking where people are from, not originally travelled from one of the countries currently on the no-fly list & entered via a third country, they have the correct entry documentation, their passports match their faces. 

They just might end up protecting the UK from further COVID? 

Edited by Baron99

24 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Actually I was invited for a flu jab for the first time last September and at the time I was only 60. I don't live in Sheffield but I think the NHS had made a decision to try to prevent as many flu cases in the 'elderly' as possible. Since that time my wife has also been invited and she's only 57!

All over 50's are now eligible for a free flu jab. Have been since last  year.

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

At the cost, what, £22bn, if have thought it would be perfect. We're talking about the possibility of fraud over £500 while ignoring the really big score.

As proven in this thread, the "tories" amongst us are more concerned about a few people fraudulently claiming 500 quid than the tens of billions spent on a failing track and trace system.

Oh well, lets keep locking down repeatedly, crippling the economy, as the poor can't afford to isolate... As long as Dido Harding gets richer... 🙄

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

My 93 yr old relative hasnt had his vaccination yet. The doctors practice told him they dont have enough supply. I am hoping that is just an excuse, although they should really be honest.

Its a nurse that will be coming to his house, so that could mean things take longer.

I've heard the situation is different all over the country, probably even from vaccination centre to centre.

Some places are almost on to their second cohort, others have barely started the first. But I'm sure it will even out in the end, and everyone who wants one will get one.

11 hours ago, Dardandec said:

All over 50's are now eligible for a free flu jab. Have been since last  year.

i had mine before christmas, it made me feel old :(

59 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

i had mine before christmas, it made me feel old :(

Got a letter for one, tbh i dont want to go, im quite lucky that flu never hits me that bad and i dont have any underlying health issues, personally speaking i'd rather they spent the time and money on getting the covid jab out there rather than faff around with me who never goes to the drs and never ever gets bedridden with flu

21 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Got a letter for one, tbh i dont want to go, im quite lucky that flu never hits me that bad and i dont have any underlying health issues, personally speaking i'd rather they spent the time and money on getting the covid jab out there rather than faff around with me who never goes to the drs and never ever gets bedridden with flu

I felt the same about the Covid vaccine - I had very mild symptoms from the virus itself, I'm very fit and well in general,  presumably I now have some level of immunity towards it, and I felt it was more important to vaccinate the more vulnerable.  Especially as the vaccine only reduces the symptoms you get, it doesn't stop you carrying it and potentially passing it on to others.

I mean, I've still had the first jab, but I didn't think I should be high up the list to receive it.

23 minutes ago, melthebell said:

you should go, i dont suppose having flu and covid at the same time would be a pleasant experience and it should help keep you out of hospital should you get flu and it hits you hard.

I have memories of a flu crisis of about 15-20 years ago when we were all encouraged to get vaccinated against then as we were told it was far worse than previous years, people were dying from it, and it was a one-off.  Many did get vaccinated, and have been under pressure to get their "annual" flu jab every year as a result.  I didn't get one and remain healthy (and arguably healthier than those I know who keep getting it annually).

My suspicion is that those who get the Covid jab will be expected to have an annual Covid jab in addition to the annual Flu jab in future.  Given the news today that the vaccine doesn't stop you from passing the virus on,  I think that removes the need for most people to have the vaccine.

When the "vulnerable" groups of those over 80's, over 75's, and those "shielding" have been vaccinated, the hospital lists will go down and I think we need to get back to normal asap.