Coronavirus - Part Two.

So, we were promised a slightly leaky lifeboat , the Government then  played fast and loose with the science  so it became half a leaky lifeboat.   We are standing in line in the agreed order of need - though there are various groups and occupations  trying to jump the queue and rumours that the lifeboats may be delayed. Is that about right?

1 hour ago, Common Tater said:

So, we were promised a slightly leaky lifeboat , the Government then  played fast and loose with the science  so it became half a leaky lifeboat.   We are standing in line in the agreed order of need - though there are various groups and occupations  trying to jump the queue and rumours that the lifeboats may be delayed. Is that about right?

I know 3 people who are registered at the same surgery - 2 in their early 70s, and 1 who's 93.

They are related, and bear the same surname.

None of the 3 have underlying health conditions.

This particular surgery is using a different surgery as a "hub" for vaccinations.

If they're innoculating alphabetically - all other things being equal - they should appear next to each other on the database, you'd think.

The 70 year olds had their jab last week.

The 93 year old is still waiting to be notifiied about his.

Is that what your rather cryptic post is meaning?

10 hours ago, nightrider said:

Vallance has already been quoted as stating that the 89% efficacy they claimed with one dose is not correct and that in fact we now know it will be lower (but not as low as 33% quoted in the Israeli study - that study has mostly used elderly patients and its well known the vaccine won't work as well for them).

I still think it was a mistake to ignore Pfizer's advice on two doses. The above suggests a big "we don't actually know", just as Pfizer told them a month ago when they revealed this strategy. We will just have to hope these vaccinations were not in vain and we have to start again.

I was quite happy, trusting the Government, to go along with the one vaccine policy. But I thought that they were doing it to get the most vulnerable one vaccine, not the ones less likely to die.

The most vulnerable should get 2 doses of vaccine, then move on to the other groups.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I was quite happy, trusting the Government, to go along with the one vaccine policy. But I thought that they were doing it to get the most vulnerable one vaccine, not the ones less likely to die.

The most vulnerable should get 2 doses of vaccine, then move on to the other groups.

My bold - yes the most vulnerable should get the 2 doses, then move down to the next set (2 doses in 3 weeks) and so on.  It looks to me as if we are giving the over 80's hope that they are OK for the next 12 weeks, when they probably aren't after the first 3 weeks.  How many will we lose to Covid in this time?

5 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

I know 3 people who are registered at the same surgery - 2 in their early 70s, and 1 who's 93.

They are related, and bear the same surname.

None of the 3 have underlying health conditions.

This particular surgery is using a different surgery as a "hub" for vaccinations.

If they're innoculating alphabetically - all other things being equal - they should appear next to each other on the database, you'd think.

The 70 year olds had their jab last week.

The 93 year old is still waiting to be notifiied about his.

Looks like some are "jumping the queue", or those administering the quesues are either ignoring the order laid down by the Government, or are incompetent.

El Cid and Thirsty Relic,

Thank you for your insights.

This whole affair is like riding a Roller Coaster  through the tunnels of the Chost Train-sickening and frightening,

Can this bunch of murderous clowns(Government ) do anything right?

My inclination when dealing with medication is to follow what it says on the leaflet.

For one brief moment ,I thought the government had the people's best interest at heart-but sadly not so.

Dishing out the vaccinations is a matter of life and death for the recipients. Consequently it has to be done correctly-we're  not lab rats to be experimented upon.

Who is in charge of it all- uncle Fester from the Adams Family ?

Edited by petemcewan

6 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The Government are taking advice from the MHRA and are not operating a one vaccine policy.  They are delaying the time between the two doses in order to save more lives.  The  flu vaccine given each year to the most vulnerable is only about 60% percent   effective in a good year and saves tens of thousands of lives every year.  If someone catches the corona virus three weeks after being given the first dose the likelihood is even the most vulnerable will have enough protection to prevent them needing hospital treatment.  It's a no brainer given the current circumstances to give more people the first dose of a coronavirus vaccine sooner which is only possible by delaying the time between  individuals  receiving the second dose.  

Your thoughts on the Israeli findings?

Chance to make your own mind up vis-a-vis delaying the second dose.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/01/20/revisiting-the-uks-strategy-for-delaying-the-second-dose-of-the-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine/

The current UK strategy with the Pfizer mRNA vaccine is, in our view, a non-randomised, uncontrolled population experimental study without pilot data. The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JVCI) and Public Health England should be prepared to revisit and, if necessary, reverse their decisions based on emerging scientific evidence.

Edited by petemcewan

Just showed a report on Calendar that while many over 80's have been vaccinated in Sheffield with some surgeries coming to the end of that cohort,  at least one surgery, (didn't catch the name), are yet to start their vaccination program. 

They also interviewed a doctor from the Heeley Green surgery, who has now been told that they won't receive an vaccines for at least 9 more days, this at the same time when Sheffield Arena is supposedly due to open for as a mass vaccination centre.  However, on top of this, the number of vacancies supplied to the Yorkshire region as a whole are to be reduced & redirected to other parts of England, as we have been far ahead of these other regions & they need to catch up with their vaccinations. 

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Thank you. BBC has been swamped with inauguration stuff and must have missed this. That's a reassuring article if I'm honest.

Lots of differing opinions on COVID, is it the USA that are vaccinating law enforcment first. Strange, but then it is America.

It seems the experts are dividing on the timing of the second vaccination. But if the vaccine struggles to protect for 12 months, maybe the timing of the second vaccination doesnt matter.

17 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Lots of differing opinions on COVID, is it the USA that are vaccinating law enforcment first. Strange, but then it is America.

It seems the experts are dividing on the timing of the second vaccination. But if the vaccine struggles to protect for 12 months, maybe the timing of the second vaccination doesnt matter.

According to white house sources, trump had no vaccine plan at all and it's down to individual states on who gets what.

28 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

I'm not qualified to make my mind up.

The BBC spend all their time, saying why didn't the government do this or that earlier

Well this report is 6 hours old

10 months after all my family bought one after reading a report from a lung expert in USA

Shame it doesn't allow comments, because I would post one!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55733527