Coronavirus - Part Two.

21 minutes ago, Becky B said:

Did he ride there though? 7 miles isn't far, on a bike... 

The risk of transmission outdoors is much lower than where people are congregating indoors. 

I feel dirty now. I can't believe I'm even slightly defending the incompetent idiot 😬

Ah, but did Johnson really need to visit Bristol in person?  I suppose the visit falls under ‘work related’ travel so is not breaking any rules but there’s a lot of talk about acting in the spirit of lockdown and, to me anyway, that journey and meeting people in person in Bristol was not essential.

I don’t believe there is any limit on how far people can travel during outdoor exercise and if they are genuinely exercising I can’t see much point in there being a limit on time or distance as the risks are tiny when done within guidelines.  This government has done a lot wrong in the pandemic but one thing they have got right is recognising the importance of exercise.

13 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

There was a Headteacher on the tv tonight who said that the list of essential / key workers had become so large that more & more children were now attending school under this rule.  She even said that children were being being dropped of at school by parents who were actually working from home or off work at home after being furloughed. 

Attitudes seemed to have changed from earlier in the pandemic, when many parents were refusing to send their children to school for fear of the children catching the virus & demanding schools were closed.  Perhaps home schooling fatigue has set in for many? 

On the face covering aspect, Morrisons & Sainsbury's are now introducing a mandatory requirement to wear face coverings in their store with no exceptions, except for those with medical exemptions.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55618408

"Sainsbury's also said it would refuse entry to those not wearing a mask or who were shopping in groups." 

One wonders how the medical exemption will be determined & if the mandatory face coverings will also be required by their staff? 

Well in the Morrisons near me pretty much none of the staff wear face coverings. The tills do have a plastic shield, but I am skeptical the virus only travels in a straight line and would not simply drift on air currents all over the place!

11 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Presumably they are the same people who couldn't work from home last time, so that doesn't explain why the volume of cars has shot up.  Nobody seems to be able to logically explain it, unless it is simply down to people ignoring the rules. 

If this is so, perhaps the police are right to stop people in cars and ask where they are going and why? Perhaps it would be easier for them to check number plate recognition for people at beauty spots etc far away from registered base and then ask them.  That way there is a far greater chance of finding wrongdoers and fine them.

The risk of transmission outside is extremely low. I doubt that is what is driving the pandemic. No point focussing on people going for a walk in the countryside - makes a nice headline, but won't stop the virus spreading which is mostly caused by indoors settings. As others have said far to many companies think their workers are key workers. Perhaps because financial support for shutting down is not good enough?

8 hours ago, redruby said:

The government are making noises about tightening up restrictions in supermarkets but what about all this non-essential stuff!! We all need to buy food but  we don’t need a lot of the other stuff that is open.

I agree. Homeward and soft furnishings retail shops are not classed as essential at all...yet some if not all the staff from those companies are being told yo go into work as they can do click and collect to get money in the door.

Buying a wardrobe or some cushions is not really an essential item to live right now. Food is!!

I am one of those staff members being told to keep going to work in a non essential shop for click and collect.

Whatever happened to the safety of the employees during this pandemic???....its now about getting money through the door.

7 minutes ago, tatybaby said:

I agree. Homeward and soft furnishings retail shops are not classed as essential at all...yet some if not all the staff from those companies are being told yo go into work as they can do click and collect to get money in the door.

Buying a wardrobe or some cushions is not really an essential item to live right now. Food is!!

I am one of those staff members being told to keep going to work in a non essential shop for click and collect.

Whatever happened to the safety of the employees during this pandemic???....its now about getting money through the door.

You presumably don't want your employer to go belly-up and leave yo without a job?

41 minutes ago, tatybaby said:

Them getting money through the door keeps you employed and puts money in your bank account.  Just how exactly do you think it works. Have you not seen what's happening to the wider retail industry?

I'm sure they are doing all they can to try and make the workplace safe including investing lots of time and money adapting new procedures. They are also facing a difficult balance between safety and the practicalities of keeping the business open and running.

If you don't like it - leave and be unemployed instead.

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

The risk of transmission outside is extremely low. I doubt that is what is driving the pandemic. No point focussing on people going for a walk in the countryside - makes a nice headline, but won't stop the virus spreading which is mostly caused by indoors settings. 

But there are "pinch points" at many outdoor places - car parks, ticket machines, narrow paths, gates, ice cream vans.

I went for a walk on the beach on Saturday which was quiet and people well spaced.  Except at all the above points where they milled like sheep.

24 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

But there are "pinch points" at many outdoor places - car parks, ticket machines, narrow paths, gates, ice cream vans.

I went for a walk on the beach on Saturday which was quiet and people well spaced.  Except at all the above points where they milled like sheep.

I think the chance of contracting it in a few short minutes outdoors is absolutely minimal.

Hoppers on Eccy rd is a real danger zone, long ques, funnelling people passing in to a narrow pavement, its very expensive as well

16 hours ago, enntee said:

I am aware that there are those that disagree quite strongly, but if there is to be an enforceable regulation for face masks, there should be no exemptions.

Obviously you have no breathing problem issues, etc

1 hour ago, Brooker11 said:

I think the chance of contracting it in a few short minutes outdoors is absolutely minimal.

Yes I believe so. Even with the pinch points people won't be there anywhere near long enough to make a big risk. 

Now this is what you call a lockdown!

All people forbidden to leave their homes after 05.00 this Thursday...for 11 days! Very few exemptions, apparently.

Not even supermarkets will be open - folk will have to rely on deliveries.

This is the way it is in Lebanon.

4 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Now this is what you call a lockdown!

All people forbidden to leave their homes after 05.00 this Thursday...for 11 days! Very few exemptions, apparently.

Not even supermarkets will be open - folk will have to rely on deliveries.

This is the way it is in Lebanon.

Is this a joke? There is no way the supermarkets have capacity to deliver food. You'd be lucky to even get a slot in the next 2 weeks if you tried now! And panic buyers will strip the shelves bare if they have announced this.

I hope you mean this is in Lebanon, not that we are copying something that was done in Lebanon?!

Edited by nightrider