Coronavirus - Part Two.

41 minutes ago, tatybaby said:

The way to make the lockdown stricter is by stopping any click and collect options in any shops not selling food. Schools should be open to only keyworkers children like the first lockdown and masks to be worn in public places as well as outdoors.

There are far too many cars still out and about on the roads because some shops have managed to get round the loophole of click and collect and remain open.

I'm a retail worker for a huge company with over 400 staff in the building. Still working click and collect orders for items which are not classed as essential and its difficult to keep away from eachother when doing these orders when it is always so very busy. The company want all the staff to work and not be furloughed again.

If Boris wants to tighten things again. Stop click and collect for shops that don't sell food so that workers are kept safe and away from other people to ease the burden on the NHS.

My bold. 

There was a Headteacher on the tv tonight who said that the list of essential / key workers had become so large that more & more children were now attending school under this rule.  She even said that children were being being dropped of at school by parents who were actually working from home or off work at home after being furloughed. 

Attitudes seemed to have changed from earlier in the pandemic, when many parents were refusing to send their children to school for fear of the children catching the virus & demanding schools were closed.  Perhaps home schooling fatigue has set in for many? 

On the face covering aspect, Morrisons & Sainsbury's are now introducing a mandatory requirement to wear face coverings in their store with no exceptions, except for those with medical exemptions.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55618408

"Sainsbury's also said it would refuse entry to those not wearing a mask or who were shopping in groups." 

One wonders how the medical exemption will be determined & if the mandatory face coverings will also be required by their staff? 

Edited by Baron99

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

There was a Headteacher on the tv tonight who said that the list of essential / key workers had become so large that more & more children were now attending school under this rule.  She even said that children were being being dropped of at school by parents who were actually working from home or off work at home after being furloughed. 

On the face covering aspect, Morrisons & Sainsbury's are now introducing a mandatory requirement to wear face coverings in their store with no exceptions, except for those with medical exemptions.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55618408

"Sainsbury's also said it would refuse entry to those not wearing a mask or who were shopping in groups." 

One wonders how the medical exemption will be determined & if the mandatory face coverings will also be required by their staff? 

I agree with what you say about the schools and keywokers. The list is now so cast that people are getting confused.

I have a junior school at the bottom of my road and its still as busy as ever since the start of this 2nd national lockdown.

I understand that there are some parents that are still working from home but that does not mean they are classed as a keyworker which enables them to use the school as a babysitting service which is what the government wants to happen.

They keyworker list needs to be only NHS. GP surgery workers, Grocery shop workers. Care workers etc. 

Homeware shops selling soft furnishings and furniture should be closed to the public and click and collect.

With still too many people out and about going into work this pandemic will not ease until there are less people moving around.

1 minute ago, enntee said:

I am aware that there are those that disagree quite strongly, but if there is to be an enforceable regulation for face masks, there should be no exemptions.

I think in Thailand, there's been a system where there are cameras using facial recognition in bigger shops and if you aren't wearing a mask, the doors don't open. 

Honestly, it's a bit of cloth round your face, grow up an wear a mask.

1 hour ago, tatybaby said:

I agree with what you say about the schools and keywokers. The list is now so cast that people are getting confused.

I have a junior school at the bottom of my road and its still as busy as ever since the start of this 2nd national lockdown.

I understand that there are some parents that are still working from home but that does not mean they are classed as a keyworker which enables them to use the school as a babysitting service which is what the government wants to happen.

They keyworker list needs to be only NHS. GP surgery workers, Grocery shop workers. Care workers etc. 

Homeware shops selling soft furnishings and furniture should be closed to the public and click and collect.

With still too many people out and about going into work this pandemic will not ease until there are less people moving around.

Etc who? The list is huge tbh. Food and drinks manufacturing and distribution, packaging manufacturing and distribution, wholesalers, cleaning contractors, fuel production and distribution, public utilities operation and maintenance, national infrastructure operations and maintenance, public transport ops and maintenance.......etc.

The only workers who have been added to the "key workers" list are Brexit transition workers.

As for the seemingly high traffic volume compared to the March lock down will be down to workers who can't work from home. I have to travel too and from work and I use my car.

10 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

As for the seemingly high traffic volume compared to the March lock down will be down to workers who can't work from home.

Presumably they are the same people who couldn't work from home last time, so that doesn't explain why the volume of cars has shot up.  Nobody seems to be able to logically explain it, unless it is simply down to people ignoring the rules. 

If this is so, perhaps the police are right to stop people in cars and ask where they are going and why? Perhaps it would be easier for them to check number plate recognition for people at beauty spots etc far away from registered base and then ask them.  That way there is a far greater chance of finding wrongdoers and fine them.

Pretty straightforward mate, more places are open that were shut in march. Covid secure places like ours don't need to close. I work in the motor industry before you ask.

1 minute ago, Dardandec said:

Pretty straightforward mate, more places are open that were shut in march. Covid secure places like ours don't need to close. I work in the motor industry before you ask.

Thanks for the answer - been bugging me a bit recently when I can't cross roads as easily as in previous lockdown.  

Well, given they want less social mixing, I reckon closing more down again that will be next on the agena, at least until all the over 75's, NHS etc are given the option of a vaccination.  After that, if/when  hospitalisations start to come down, maybe more easing will be on the cards again as things start heading in the right direction.

2 hours ago, enntee said:

I am aware that there are those that disagree quite strongly, but if there is to be an enforceable regulation for face masks, there should be no exemptions.

If there are exemptions, the policy is not worth a light. If you can’t wear one, get your shopping delivered.

Pfizer vaccine appears to work against variant and S.A variant. Caution , The report is a pre-print and has not yet been peer reviewed. But if true,then this is very good news indeed.

https://www.livescience.com/pfizer-vaccine-effective-new-mutation-coronavirus.html?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210111

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-the-new-variant-of-sars-cov-2/

Masses of opinions in the above link. Well worth a browse through  if you want to jog along with the Profs and Experts.

Edited by petemcewan

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Presumably they are the same people who couldn't work from home last time, so that doesn't explain why the volume of cars has shot up.  Nobody seems to be able to logically explain it, unless it is simply down to people ignoring the rules. 

If this is so, perhaps the police are right to stop people in cars and ask where they are going and why? Perhaps it would be easier for them to check number plate recognition for people at beauty spots etc far away from registered base and then ask them.  That way there is a far greater chance of finding wrongdoers and fine them.

More jobs fall into the ‘essential/critical’ worker category.  It is mentioned in this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55627864

I do have sense that a lot of people are being more blasé about the lockdown than in March. Partly through lockdown fatigue and partly through a sense of complacency as the vaccines start being rolled out. But, the most significant difference is I think that more people are having to go to their workplaces and more places are open such as takeaway food/coffee, click and collect etc. The government are making noises about tightening up restrictions in supermarkets but what about all this non-essential stuff!! We all need to buy food but  we don’t need a lot of the other stuff that is open.

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

7 miles now looks like the limit.

Did he ride there though? 7 miles isn't far, on a bike... 

The risk of transmission outdoors is much lower than where people are congregating indoors. 

I feel dirty now. I can't believe I'm even slightly defending the incompetent idiot 😬