Coronavirus - Part Two.

Hi Bargepole23, I think this one is on Calver road, just before you get to JE James cycles on Bramall Lane.

Hope your parents get sorted soon👍

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

I’ve just received the standard ‘Shielding’ letter with all the usual advice above and beyond the  legislated rules but with the additional information that I will be offered vaccination by mid February although I’m only in my mid 60’s. As a non xenophobic boomer I don’t care if the vaccine comes from Timbuktu, if it’s been approved by British regulators I’ll have it wherever they want to put it! Most of the ‘boomers’ I’m in touch with feel the same so please don’t tar us  all with the same begrudging tone your post implies 

Apologies Catmiss, you're right - I could have phrased it better. I wasn't trying to tar all boomers, just the ones in the article.

According to Heeley Green Surgery I'm due mine probably  next week. It will be administered at Belgrave Medical Centre. As a boomer, I don't rely care which one I get-the sooner the better. But, and I don't want to offend anybody,perish the thought;what really gets on my pip is all the virtue signalling ,surround those boomers who want to exercise some choice.

The following is worth knowing.

https://www.prevention.com/health/a35118263/astrazeneca-vs-pfizer-vs-moderna-covid-19-vaccine/

Stay safe .

Edited by petemcewan

Further apparently good news with the approval of a third vaccine.

My concern at the moment is the efficacy of any current vaccines to combat the new strain as effectively as for the first wave.

This has been referenced today by Grant Shapps regarding new travel requirements for incoming passengers to the U.K.

Hopefully the scientists can keep pace with whatever mutations occur in the virus.

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I get the fact that it's their body, but do we need to add another load of admin to inform people which specific vaccine they are getting? Do they care who provides their yearly flu vaccine or where they mask they wear comes from?

there could be scenarios where knowing which vaccine you had may be more critical than the time it takes a doctors receptionist to pick up the phone. 

7 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

Hi Bargepole23, I think this one is on Calver road, just before you get to JE James cycles on Bramall Lane.

Hope your parents get sorted soon👍

Thanks Westie, turns out they have both been jabbed this morning at that surgery, said it was very quick and easy.

3 hours ago, andyofborg said:

there could be scenarios where knowing which vaccine you had may be more critical than the time it takes a doctors receptionist to pick up the phone. 

OK. I'm not aware of any restrictions which are applicable to one vaccine and not the other. What are they?

4 hours ago, andyofborg said:

Just been for my first jab and it is put on the card which vaccine you have had along with batch number and the date and time of the vaccination

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Thanks Westie, turns out they have both been jabbed this morning at that surgery, said it was very quick and easy.

OK. I'm not aware of any restrictions which are applicable to one vaccine and not the other. What are they?

no idea, but if there is then you know

Looks like London is in the eye of the storm:

UK Covid deaths reach new daily peak and set to stay there a month | World news | The Guardian

Covid-19: 'Major incident' declared by London Mayor Sadiq Khan - BBC News

It's just been on the news that epidemiologists are expecting the peak to be around 22nd January. The consultants on the radio broadcast that I was listening to were clear that along with the new, extremely transmissible variant of Covid, people's behaviour like we saw just before Christmas is responsible.

In light of this, I wouldn't blame a Government minister for being really direct and specific about what's caused this spike. In fact it wouldn't be a bad thing, as some people just don't have the sense they were born with :rant:

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

no idea, but if there is then you know

But the vaccine you are given will be part of your NHS record. So why would you need to know in advance? I didn't ask what flu jab I was given. Why would I?

5 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I'm so grateful that we don't need to worry about whether we can afford to get vaccinated, or admitted to hospital if we're very ill, or have to worry about the excess on an insurance policy. The NHS is not perfect, but we have enough to worry about, and affordability is one less thing we have to think about. Thank you so much Nye Bevan.

27 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm so grateful that we don't need to worry about whether we can afford to get vaccinated, or admitted to hospital if we're very ill, or have to worry about the excess on an insurance policy. The NHS is not perfect, but we have enough to worry about, and affordability is one less thing we have to think about. Thank you so much Nye Bevan.

Well said.