Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

What pubic inquiry?

Boris Johnson and various Ministers in the last year have made reference to the fact that there will be a full independent public inquiry into the handling of the pandemic.

Surely as a country we are entitled to that at the very least...?

12 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Boris Johnson and various Ministers in the last year have made reference to the fact that there will be a full independent public inquiry into the handling of the pandemic.

I'm sure they will limit the terms of reference to suit them. Or just drop it all together. 

6 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm sure they will limit the terms of reference to suit them. Or just drop it all together. 

They may try, but there will be an almighty ****storm if they dare.

They know the British public too well.

"You promised us a full independent enquiry!"

"Look, some Muslims. Some of them are Bulgarian"

"What?! Where?!"

🙄

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

10 years minimum, if at all.

6 hours ago, Mister M said:

Yes, I believe we are.

But what we don't want is an expensive whitewash which is what tends to happen.

More and more people are getting really angry at being fobbed off and lied to.

Hope the government takes heed.

6 hours ago, Delbow said:

See above.

Indeed....

Edited by Anna B

No, as I have already pointed out in the past on here. What was stated is that they will hold an official inquiry into the coronavirus handling which is not the same as holding a full independent public enquiry. The latter has been asked for by various bodies but has not been agreed to as the PM or Government minister are the only ones who can authorise one. A full public enquiry if held will be very expensive and also take years to come to any conclusion, think the Blair and the Chilcot one. Announced by Brown in 2009 with its publication and conclusion only published in 2016. not forgetting also that we are still in the middle of this pandemic.

Some info:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/public-inquiries

Edited by apelike

7 hours ago, Arnold_Lane said:

It’s the Mirror vox-popping at an airport not the Washington Post reporting on Watergate.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t be tested on entry but, to me, it does seem the wrong way round.  I take issue with the apparent dramatic denouncements of the few passengers actually quoted (who seem to be British citizens or live here anyway).  If they think they are positive they wouldn’t and shouldn’t have flown in to begin with.  Can the UK government unilaterally say to the US, for example, no-one can get on a UK bound plane without first having a Covid test?  That seems the sensible thing to do; test people before they fly.  Not after they’ve arrived. 

The article concludes:

Officials are considering banning UK residents from returning home without a clean Covid-19 test, the Mirror understands.

The Government is finalising plans to tighten restrictions, which are expected to include pre-flight tests for anyone entering the country.

You know who has crowds at the cricket? Australia. You get off a plane in Australia, taken to a hotel under the supervision of armed police and put in hotel for 14 days in quarantined. If you leave the hotel within those 14 days, you go to prison for up to 2 years. Heathrow has empty hand santatising stations.

1 hour ago, altus said:

Utterly stupid. Still, at least it means others will get vaccinated sooner.

Not really, because when I went for my first vaccination I had to wait in the queue for 1 and a half hours. When I went for the second one I walked straight in. When I asked the nurse why there was no queue and she said people were not turning up. I asked her why they were not given to other people and she said that they had got to be referred by their doctors and apparently once the vaccines have been put into the syringes they go off after a few hours. which means if the people do not turn up the doses are discarded. 

Our doctors rang me the day before to ask if I was going.

Edited by Kidorry
Added text.

9 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

Not really, because when I went for my first vaccination I had to wait in the queue for 1 and a half hours. When I went for the second one I walked straight in. When I asked the nurse why there was no queue and she said people were not turning up. I asked her why they were not given to other people and she said that they had got to be referred by their doctors and apparently once the vaccines have been put into the syringes they go off after a few hours. which means if the people do not turn up the doses are discarded. 

Our doctors rang me the day before to ask if I was going.

Oh, that doesn’t bode well ☹️
On a slightly different note, I’ve been wondering if there’s been a bit of complacency since the vaccinations have started to roll out and maybe that’s contributed a bit to the increase in cases?

It’s just something I’ve noticed with some people, who perhaps haven’t fully appreciated the challenges of rolling the vaccinations out, particularly in light of the new variant (not to mention future variants for which the vaccine could be ineffective).