Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Sounds to me like the passengers are saying, "this is a joke, we might have Covid!"  Errrr, yeah, so why did you fly then? when they are 

And is it essential for the Mirror to have it's hacks at the airport questioning people?

I'm also pretty sure that the UK is a Covid-hit country.

Other countries are not just letting people fly in, however it seems that  anyone can come, to the UK. It was the same back in March people were flying into this country including several flights a day from the USA, Why are we in a lockdown yet people are allowed into the country?  I read yesterday Peter Andre wanted to go to visit his elderly parents back in Australia but Australia will not allow him to.

It is a joke.

17 minutes ago, iansheff said:

You would think that being in lockdown that the Government would be monitoring people coming into the UK. According to the link below, people spoken to by the newspaper who have arrived here have not had their temperature taken or  been quizzed about forms they had filled in.  Is it any wonder we are in such a mess.

Plane passengers from Covid-hit countries shocked at no UK virus test - 'it's a joke' - Mirror Online

When the public inquiry happens, I think the open borders policy, & lax Covid rules will be highlighted and interrogated.

I've been listening to LBC a great deal during this pandemic, & people from the world over ring in to say what their policies are.  Some South Asian countries (I forget which ones) demand that people entering the country are mandated to have a test. If positive they are taken to a hotel where they are locked down for two weeks, and CANNOT leave the hotel. 

You would've thought that our Government, who got an 80 seat majority, by stressing the need to 'get Brexit done', which was voted for largely because people wanted much stricter control of our borders, would've been alive to this.

But apparently not :huh:

1 minute ago, iansheff said:

Other countries are not just letting people fly in, however it seems that  anyone can come, to the UK. It was the same back in March people were flying into this country including several flights a day from the USA, Why are we in a lockdown yet people are allowed into the country?  I read yesterday Peter Andre wanted to go to visit his elderly parents back in Australia but Australia will not allow him to.

I don't know. 

Why weren't they tested before they flew?  

Why is it essential that the Mirror sends people to the airport to ask?

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

So your mother in law is a UK national aged 80 but currently in the EU? If it helps, of my parents my mum is the youngest at age 85. She is due to have hers on the same day (tomorrow) as my dad who is 91. Dad has underlying heart condition which is well managed, otherwise healthy. Mum has high blood pressure. People of the same age in the neighbouring borough got theirs about 2 weeks earlier, so there is disparity between areas (possibly different CCGs)

Exactly right, besides being a S-postcode resident very near Sheffield, and many thanks for that follow-up post, Delbow

Looks like she'd be getting vaccinated very soon if she was (back-) in the UK. But then, looking at the news as well, she'd also be (back-) under a severe lockdown , when we are actually relaxing measures here from next Monday (...not that I actually agree with that much, but well...). what to do, what to do, <sigh>

At any rate, we'll continue efforts with the insurer, the Consulate and I've pinged our GP here as well.

The vaccination seems to be a "hit and miss" affair. 

My mother who's 95 with health conditions and living totally independently hasn't had the vaccination nor word of when/where she will receive it.

My mother-in-law who's 97 in a care home with no health conditions whatever is receiving the vaccination this week.

Duffems

My partner's parents, same age as mine, are also getting theirs today and tomorrow, in a different area again. So it certainly seems that phase 2 is well underway here. But yes, lockdown until the end of Feb probably. Are you in France? Cos Macron seems as clueless as Johnson on Covid.

1 minute ago, DUFFEMS said:

My mother who's 95 with health conditions and living totally independently hasn't had the vaccination nor word of when/where she will receive it.

My mother-in-law who's 97 in a care home with no health conditions whatever is receiving the vaccination this week.

Duffems

Care home residents are among the first to have it, your mum should be close behind. It does seem that some areas have been quicker out of the blocks than others.

20 minutes ago, DUFFEMS said:

Duffems

I have had both my injections, the last one today. I think it is what Delbow says, it just depends where you are and what your surgery is like.

49 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It is a joke.

When the public inquiry happens.......

What pubic inquiry?

49 minutes ago, Mister M said:

54 minutes ago, Delbow said:

(...) Are you in France? Cos Macron seems as clueless as Johnson on Covid.

(...)

No. And not really. Macron is not Merkel-good on Covid, sure. But he's not Johnson-bad, by a country mile (besides not actually being in executive charge: that is Jean Castex).

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Sounds to me like the passengers are saying, "this is a joke, we might have Covid!"  Errrr, yeah, so why did you fly then?

And is it essential for the Mirror to have it's hacks at the airport questioning people?

You know who isn't? South Korea. I'll dig out a link describing what you need to do when you land at one of the airports.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Sounds to me like the passengers are saying, "this is a joke, we might have Covid!"  Errrr, yeah, so why did you fly then?

Journalists (particularly investigative journalists,) are meant to hold the great and the good (and politicians) to account. 

They have uncovered many a scandal such as the MPs expenses.

They presumably are checking to see if if Boris's diktats are being followed or just more hot air.

31 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Journalists (particularly investigative journalists,) are meant to hold the great and the good (and politicians) to account. 

They have uncovered many a scandal such as the MPs expenses.

They presumably are checking to see if if Boris's diktats are being followed or just more hot air.

It’s the Mirror vox-popping at an airport not the Washington Post reporting on Watergate.

32 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You know who isn't? South Korea. I'll dig out a link describing what you need to do when you land at one of the airports.

I’m not saying people shouldn’t be tested on entry but, to me, it does seem the wrong way round.  I take issue with the apparent dramatic denouncements of the few passengers actually quoted (who seem to be British citizens or live here anyway).  If they think they are positive they wouldn’t and shouldn’t have flown in to begin with.  Can the UK government unilaterally say to the US, for example, no-one can get on a UK bound plane without first having a Covid test?  That seems the sensible thing to do; test people before they fly.  Not after they’ve arrived. 

The article concludes:

Officials are considering banning UK residents from returning home without a clean Covid-19 test, the Mirror understands.

The Government is finalising plans to tighten restrictions, which are expected to include pre-flight tests for anyone entering the country.

Edited by Arnold_Lane