Coronavirus - Part Two.

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I think he's almost outdone Chris Grayling in the uselessness stakes. 

That really does take some doing!

He’s totally deranged, remember this?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/defence-officials-baffled-by-armed-tractors-and-gavin-williamsons-other-bizarre-plans-svjpqtbqt

12 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

I wasn't aware of that....Just makes you wonder, if he was given free rein, what mad ideas he'd dream up for school children!

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I wasn't aware of that....Just makes you wonder, if he was given free rein, what mad ideas he'd dream up for school children!

When he became a whip he bought one because he didn't understand that job either.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hidden-message-of-the-whip-on-his-desk-p8hpqgmmg

Edited by Mister Gee

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Oh my goodness, what a surprise. I never saw that coming.

Just two days ago I said to our lass "I see Gavin Williamson is absolutely confident the schools in London will be going back. They won't, then". It's become so predictable, as soon as a confident government announcement comes out, you can start ticking off the days until the about turn. It would be quite funny, but if the government's announcements are worthless then that discourages people from following advice that keeps them and others safe.

2 hours ago, Delayed said:

It’s all a Tory conspiracy to get rid of our older generation quicker.

Isn’t that what you want to hear?

No, I want to understand what the government are thinking and why.

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Because the over 80's are the most vulnerable group.  The over 80's are being given the Pfizer vaccine first along with NHS workers to avoid wastage of Pfizer vaccine batches which have to be stored at  a very low temperature. Our country has a moral duty to give the vaccine to the eldest members of our society first who are the most vulnerable. 

Agree - and to add that vaccinating older vulnerable people can help prevent the NHS being overwhelmed - it's currently touch and go as it is - the fewer people needing hospitalisation the better.

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No, I want to understand what the government are thinking and why.

There are loads of NHS staff getting jabs along with the over 80s. You keep the people most exposed to covid safe, you get the people most likely to die from it vaccinated too. Its not all of one group.

In other news, it appears we've only got 500k of the Oxford vaccine ready. India has 50m doses ready. Any ideas why? Apart from the obvious?

14 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

There are loads of NHS staff getting jabs along with the over 80s. You keep the people most exposed to covid safe, you get the people most likely to die from it vaccinated too. Its not all of one group.

In other news, it appears we've only got 500k of the Oxford vaccine ready. India has 50m doses ready. Any ideas why? Apart from the obvious?

They’re going to mess this up as well then?

Edited by Mister Gee

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

The UK vaccines regulator MHRA who have the responsibility  to approve vaccines before they  can be given out have recommended the gap between the two doses can be a maximum of 12 weeks. The UK Government are following the advice of the vaccine regulator in a time of a national emergency.  The thinking behind the decision is that more lives will be saved as a consequence of having a longer period of a time between individuals having two vaccines which will allow more individuals to have one vaccine dose during a period of time.  I'm gob gobsmacked the Government are being criticised for following the advise of the UK vaccine regulator in order to save more lives.

I would always go with the people who made it and who know what it does.

Hasn't the government rejected the advice (sp) of the (so called) experts enough times before?

Seems to me that they pick and choose when they decide to believe the recommendations...

But, hey, if the government is willing to go against the advice of the manufacturers, and to bear the brunt of the legal cases that might apply, well that is what is called risk management, and is what they are willing to bear - including the loss of jobs, then they make the choices... I just hope that we don't see increased deaths because of this decision, and then honours and gongs for deaths.

I see the whiplash has started - aboutturns from Williamson, how long before Teflon Johnson says it was someone else's fault?

Edited by Litotes

8 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

The Government are also going against the advice of manufacturers and saying that the 2nd dose doesn't have to be from the same vaccine as the first.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/health/coronavirus-vaccines-britain.html

To quote from the article linked to above;

"The new guidance contradicts guidelines in the United States, where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has noted that the authorized Covid-19 vaccines “are not interchangeable,” and that “the safety and efficacy of a mixed-product series have not been evaluated. Both doses of the series should be completed with the same product.”

Some scientists say Britain is gambling with its new guidance. “There are no data on this idea whatsoever,” said John Moore, a vaccine expert at Cornell University. Officials in Britain “seem to have abandoned science completely now and are just trying to guess their way out of a mess.”

Seems a fair assessment of Johnson's Covid "strategy" since day 1.

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

To quote from the article linked to above;

"The new guidance contradicts guidelines in the United States, where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has noted that the authorized Covid-19 vaccines “are not interchangeable,” and that “the safety and efficacy of a mixed-product series have not been evaluated. Both doses of the series should be completed with the same product.”

Some scientists say Britain is gambling with its new guidance. “There are no data on this idea whatsoever,” said John Moore, a vaccine expert at Cornell University. Officials in Britain “seem to have abandoned science completely now and are just trying to guess their way out of a mess.”

Seems a fair assessment of Johnson's Covid "strategy" since day 1.

Yeah, I did read that one. That can't be sensible can it? They're  made in two different ways.