Coronavirus - Part Two.

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Germany are part of the EU27 bloc  vaccine program.  At the moment only one vaccine being  Pfizer has been approved for use in the EU.  This week the EU increased their order by 100 million doses making it a total of 300 million doses for all of the EU27 bloc. In the same week the UK regulator approved the rollout  of a second vaccine for the UK being the Oxford/AstraZenca in which the UK have ordered 100 million doses just for UK people.  The rollout of the  Oxford/AstraZenca vaccine starts on Monday.

Yes, I fancy a bet. Are you prepared to put your money where your mouth is?

Certainly.

9 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I’ll join too. The EU have messed this one up a bit.

But we've ordered alot, we haven't got alot. We haven't got a network set up where we can vaccinate people in serious numbers. 

4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Tell me how much you are prepared to wager.

Yes, we have ordered a lot and supply is going to be a bigger issue than setting up a network to vaccinate the people in serious numbers which is one reason why the gap between the two doses  given to individuals has been increased.

It's the main reason, one great swathes of the medical community are uncomfortable with.

And there's still time for a U turn, but they've got the schools one to do first.

Tenner for your chosen charity?

So now the UK has decided it knows better than the creators of the vaccine, and are not doing the 2 jabs think in the recommended timescale, who is liable if it all goes horribly wrong?

I hope that the Government is willing to shoulder any blame.

But good old teflon Boris will blame someone else I am sure.

7 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The UK vaccines regulator MHRA who have the responsibility  to approve vaccines before they  can be given out have recommended the gap between the two doses can be a maximum of 12 weeks. The UK Government are following the advice of the vaccine regulator in a time of a national emergency.  The thinking behind the decision is that more lives will be saved as a consequence of having a longer period of a time between individuals having two vaccines which will allow more individuals to have one vaccine dose during a period of time.  I'm gob gobsmacked the Government are being criticised for following the advise of the UK vaccine regulator in order to save more lives.

Well, if Pfiser made it and recommended a much shorter gap, I'm with them.  They developed it so surely they know more about it than the regulator.

Just been revealed that the Government want all primary schools in London to remain shut after Christmas.  It comes after the Education Secretary said only on yesterday that he is “absolutely confident” there will be no further delays to school reopenings

Covid: All London primary schools to stay shut after government U-turn | ITV News

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" Greeting Card by garigots | Redbubble

Edited by Mister M

11 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Just been revealed that the Government want all primary schools in London to remain shut after Christmas.  It comes after the Education Secretary said only on yesterday that he is “absolutely confident” there will be no further delays to school reopenings

Covid: All London primary schools to stay shut after government U-turn | ITV News

What a useless incompetent halfwit.

Edited by Mister Gee

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Oh my goodness, what a surprise. I never saw that coming.

27 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

What a useless incompetent halfwit.

I think he's almost outdone Chris Grayling in the uselessness stakes. 

That really does take some doing!

Please can someone enlighten me? 

With a potential shortage of vaccines and/or people to administer them, I cannot see for the life of me why over 80 year olds should be given priority. Surely it makes sense to vaccinate the front line workers first, especially medical and care givers. These are the people who are keeping this country running at the moment; the ones in most danger from catching the virus, and who we literally cannot do without.

So why are they not first in the queue? 

The only logical  reason I can think of, is because this is an untried and untested (properly) vaccine and the elderly are expendable if it all goes wrong.

Please, someone, prove me wrong. 

Edited by Anna B

14 minutes ago, Anna B said:

With a potential shortage of vaccines and/or people to administer them, I cannot see for the life of me why over 80 year olds should be given priority. Surely it makes sense to vaccinate the front line workers first, especially medical and care givers. These are the people who are keeping this country running at the moment; the ones in most danger from catching the virus, and who we literally cannot do without.

The only logical  reason I can think of, is because this is an untried and untested (properly) vaccine and the elderly are expendable if it all goes wrong.

They are being vaccinated. I know several doctors who have already received their first dose.

16 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I am sure that part of the reason follows the outcry over the deaths of the elderly in care.

When it comes to priorities everyone will have their opinions and certainly front line workers and those most at risk at various age levels would be at the head of most.

Just another question if anyone is expert in the field.

I understand that the limiting factor regarding vaccines at the moment is the amount available.

Is this due to production capacity,or is there  a constituent in the process that limits production.

If it is the former can we expect rapid investment and licensing  to step up production.

Edited by RJRB

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It’s all a Tory conspiracy to get rid of our older generation quicker.

Isn’t that what you want to hear?