Coronavirus - Part Two.

Can anybody else remember hearing on the news that you can catch the covid virus twice and it can be worse the second time around, I’m sure it was on the news?   I feel it is one more complication having to test for the virus before you can have the vaccine.  Also will there be enough test kits?  

1 hour ago, apelike said:

It may delay the uptake but that's all and the resources are mainly there anyway otherwise there would be no vaccinations going on at the moment.  Blood testing for antibodies just takes longer that's all although its not as simple as getting a jab in the arm. 

But what data are these professional bodies relying on to form that conclusion? By vaccinating those that have already had it it means that any data regards future protection from antibody response without having the vaccine is lost.

What does that testing kit check for and how many are you checking?

Blood testing will require resources, meaning people and money. Could those resources not be better used in some way to speed up sticking needles into arms?

Delay the uptake, that sounds like the opposite of what we should be doing.

Post 3345 reported a while ago that the Government was under pressure to only give one dose of the vaccine each, rather than 2.  The source of this advice was named as one Tony Blair - former PM.  The advice was given short shrift by posters at the time.  I wonder what posters think now that Boris is putting it into practice? 

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Post 3345 reported a while ago that the Government was under pressure to only give one dose of the vaccine each, rather than 2.  The source of this advice was named as one Tony Blair - former PM.  The advice was given short shrift by posters at the time.  I wonder what posters think now that Boris is putting it into practice? 

Link? because I haven't seen that, although I admit I only scan-read the BBC news app.

35 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

They are giving two doses still. They’ve just increased the interval between the two doses to get more people through the first jab more quickly.

8 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

They are giving two doses still. They’ve just increased the interval between the two doses to get more people through the first jab more quickly.

Thanks, @Pettytom I'd still like a valid link from @Thirsty Relic, though.

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

Can anybody else remember hearing on the news that you can catch the covid virus twice and it can be worse the second time around, I’m sure it was on the news?   I feel it is one more complication having to test for the virus before you can have the vaccine.  Also will there be enough test kits?  

But that is just the news spinning it. The scientists and people in the know have been saying the opposite in that they don't know at this moment in time how long immunity will last either from naturally occurring antibodies from previous exposure to the virus or from the vaccine itself. They do know that in some people who have had it they do have some immunity but no one as yet can put a figure on it and that is why data is important in this new situation.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Blood testing will require resources, meaning people and money. Could those resources not be better used in some way to speed up sticking needles into arms?

But it may also mean less people will initially need the virus which also costs money and resources to create and administer.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Delay the uptake, that sounds like the opposite of what we should be doing.

Not really, what we should be doing is targeting those who are vulnerable which we are already doing.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I think the numbers given in #3345 are wrong? As pointed out in post #3347

Tony Blair is also wrong as he is assuming that by being vaccinated it stops it being spread by vaccinated people hence wanting younger people vaccinated earlier. It seems a common misconception that being vaccinated stops those vaccinated people from spreading it especially also given only one dose.

Edited by apelike

19 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks, @Pettytom I'd still like a valid link from @Thirsty Relic, though.

OK RollingJ , here is post#3345 that I quoted:

On 23/12/2020 at 12:19, El Cid said:

The Government is being urged to give as many people as possible an initial dose of a Covid vaccine - rather than preserving stocks so there is enough for second jabs.   The numbers are "straightforward". You give one dose you get 91% [protection] you give two doses and you get 95% - you are only gaining 4% for giving the second dose

and the next post that references it:

On 23/12/2020 at 12:40, altus said:

A bit more perspective on that - Coronavirus: Vaccinate more people with one dose, urges Tony Blair.

Sorry it took so long - had my tea then struggled in my first use of multi-quote

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

OK @Thirsty Relic - but see apelike's post just above yours - total fallacy in that 'quoted' post.

Yeah - apelike's claim that  "less people will initially need the virus" is total fallacy 😎