Coronavirus - Part Two.

New variants? New vaccine? This bacteria is more clever than we think. The empire strikes back. ;)

10 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Surely its just a matter that the more vaccinations and illnesses that you have had, it will build up your immune system to all manner of illnesses?

COVID is just another cold virus, so if you have had the cold virus in the past year, perhaps it will help your immune system fight COVID.

so - the more illnesses that you have, the less likely you are to have the next one?  I would have thought that was the exact opposite of the case.  According to your logic, the people who have had the most illnesses (those we sought to shield initially) should not be shielded, and we should shield those with little or no history of illness!  They should be the ones sent out to do shopping etc for the super-healthy!

IF COVID is just another virus and having had a cold in the past year protects against COVID, why hasn't the Government advice being to sleep in drafts and catch cold before you catch COVID?  Additionally, as the COVID fatality rate is higher than the flu, why not tell the elderly/at risk people  to stop having the flu jab and hope to catch that as its safer?

IF the FLU vaccine (that we've all been recommended to take for years) works), then how come you need a new one every year?  Clearly those that take it are not immune to the FLU, so it doesn't work.  It would seem therefore that the COVID vaccine doesn't protect against COVID.

If the COVID vaccine works, will we still need a new one every year/few months as new strains develop as per the FLU one?  Will those immunised will need annual jabs?  If so, have they been told this?

Given the difficulty in getting medical attention for many issues during "flu vaccination" season as well as the current crisis, after the wide rollout of COVID jabs has happened will we find going forward that even more NHS time is devoted to COVID jabs as well as FLU jabs, at the expense of patients with other issues?

1 hour ago, Dardandec said:

New variants? New vaccine? This bacteria is more clever than we think. The empire strikes back. ;)

Its a virus not a bacteria!

6 hours ago, Dardandec said:

it's a virus not a bacteria and evolution has been making new versions of all sorts of oranisms for 3 billion years, it's got quite good at it,

5 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

IF COVID is just another virus and having had a cold in the past year protects against COVID, why hasn't the Government advice being to sleep in drafts and catch cold before you catch COVID?  Additionally, as the COVID fatality rate is higher than the flu, why not tell the elderly/at risk people  to stop having the flu jab and hope to catch that as its safer?

colds are caused by rhinoviruses and they are a totally different breed to the coronaviruses having one is unlikely to help against the other,

IF the FLU vaccine (that we've all been recommended to take for years) works), then how come you need a new one every year?  Clearly those that take it are not immune to the FLU, so it doesn't work.  It would seem therefore that the COVID vaccine doesn't protect against COVID.

the influenza virus is quite promiscuous and that means you get new strains every year. the virus makers look at what varients are around at a partiular time and make a vaccine to match. 

the influenza virus damages the lining of the lungs opening them up to all sorts of other opportunistic infections and it's these which can be fatal or at least severely damaging to the vulnerable groups usually advised to be vaccinated.

if you catch flu and survive then you will most likely be immune to that strain, however the next strain may be different enough so you have no immunity.

If the COVID vaccine works, will we still need a new one every year/few months as new strains develop as per the FLU one?  Will those immunised will need annual jabs?  

no one knows yet.....

I wish Tony Blair would leave decisions about vaccinations to scientists instead of making well meant but potentially harmful suggestions. 

37 minutes ago, redruby said:

I wish Tony Blair would leave decisions about vaccinations to scientists instead of making well meant but potentially harmful suggestions. 

Does anyone pay attention to what he says anymore?

I can't say I'd let him colour any decisions I make regarding vaccination. I'd much rather rely on advice from our beloved Prime Minister.

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

Does anyone pay attention to what he says anymore?

I can't say I'd let him colour any decisions I make regarding vaccination. I'd much rather rely on advice from our beloved Prime Minister.

His views are still getting media attention and there are enough ill  informed views about vaccines circulating without adding this into the mix.  Johnson has made umpteen mistakes in the pandemic but doesn’t make an ex Labour PM beyond reproach.

Edited by redruby

8 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

so - the more illnesses that you have, the less likely you are to have the next one?  I would have thought

< .... snip, a load of ill informed and potentially dangerous stuff.>

Maybe you should go a bit of reading. I’m not being sarky, by the way, there is so much confusion in your post that you really do need to find out more. 

Here are some sources to start you off:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/

Have a read, follow the links. Have a happy Christmas too 😀

8 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

14 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

That's sort of what intrigues me about this farce at Dover.

The truckers are going to have to be tested before they can leave.

Bear in mind that some - most? - of the trucks will have 2 drivers to allow for haulage rules and reg's. 

It could end up that one tests positive, and the other not....but the one who tests negative should surely be regarded as a risk as they've spent umpteen hours together.

Those who test positive are supposed to isolate in "local hotels" for ten days (14? not sure).

Who pays for that?

in countries that do this the person who has to quarantine has to pay.

3 hours ago, andyofborg said:

it's a virus not a bacteria and evolution has been making new versions of all sorts of oranisms for 3 billion years, it's got quite good at it,

colds are caused by rhinoviruses and they are a totally different breed to the coronaviruses having one is unlikely to help against the other,

Colds are caused by both coronaviruses and rhinoviruses. And the former is hypothesised by some scientists to give some immunity against covid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold#Viruses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus#Infection_in_humans

Edited by nightrider

El Cid.

I cannot answer you first question.

But without boring you with the whole of the first link I provided.

The following is taken from the Discussion section.

The objective of this study was to evaluate the proof-of-concept of a new SARS-CoV vaccine strategy based on a standard measles vaccine engineered to express the SARS-CoV spike protein. This strategy might provide a safe recombinant vaccine to protect from SARS-CoV in the regions that might become affected by SARS-CoV re-emergence.

I put the thread on because it demonstrates to me how some people don't wait around. They get up and get the get go-and take charge of their future.

We can't get a straight answer as to how many people have already been vaccinated. So my mate thought ,"bug... " that. If it's good for a mouse. It might give me some protection".

The mRNA vaccine s will more than likely  outstrip this MMR vax.

But,Hey Ho,Jingle Bells. When needs must.

Edited by petemcewan

9 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

Surprised that there was on 50 cases week ending 20/12

I'm I reading this right as it can't be 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notifiable-diseases-weekly-reports-for-2020

But there was a 2% increase expected the following week to 51 and a further 2% rise the next week. The good news is that 2021 will see it plummet to 1 case in the first week.