Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Study suggests a national lockdown one week earlier couldve saved 20.000 lives

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-lockdown-deaths-england-b1778171.html

My bad...

This is a reference to the inaction in the first wave, not the chaos of the new one.

Edited by Litotes

24 minutes ago, Litotes said:

My bad...

This is a reference to the inaction in the first wave, not the chaos of the new one.

yup, the study is about the first lockdown and being implemented a week too late, which i always said it was

2 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

New variant causing concern, even more transmissible.

Before you say "We know"....no. This is another.

Stemming from South Africa.

Anyone who's just been, and/or knows anyone who has, is "requested" to quarantine immediately.

Same mistake again then. Don’t request, people ignore it. March them straight from the airport to a secure hotel and there they stay for 14 days. This is what is needed and has been done successfully in Asian countries.

Edited by nightrider

This is worth getting your head around-just to keep one sane.

Now that we have another variant-there will possible be more.

This is what we find. BioNTec says they can make a vaccine against Cov variant in six weeks. Now that is good news.

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-the-new-variant-of-sars-cov-2/?cli_action=1608748040.476

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2020/12/22/pfizer-biontech-moderna-test-vaccines-against-new-covid-19-variant-spreading-across-uk/?sh=f54062816a34

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/tag/covid-19/

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

Same mistake again then. Don’t request, people ignore it. March them straight from the airport to a secure hotel and there they stay for 14 days. This is what is needed and has been done successfully in Asian countries.

That's sort of what intrigues me about this farce at Dover.

The truckers are going to have to be tested before they can leave.

Bear in mind that some - most? - of the trucks will have 2 drivers to allow for haulage rules and reg's. 

It could end up that one tests positive, and the other not....but the one who tests negative should surely be regarded as a risk as they've spent umpteen hours together.

Those who test positive are supposed to isolate in "local hotels" for ten days (14? not sure).

Who pays for that?

And suppose you were a hotelier?!

And what about food?

Would you really be that pleased about having some hairy-arsed foreign driver who's tested positive in your hotel?!

If anyone could help with a question I'd be grateful. I only intermittently caught Matt Hancock's statement about COVID and the new variant. He sounded extremely grave, and I'm sure he said it's spreading at a dangerous rate.  Is there an epidemiological / medical reason why he waiting to put more areas into Tier 4. 

I didn't catch the whole of the statement, nor the response from backbenchers - so I'm a little confused.

6 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

New variant causing concern, even more transmissible.

Before you say "We know"....no. This is another.

Stemming from South Africa.

Anyone who's just been, and/or knows anyone who has, is "requested" to quarantine immediately.

Perhaps a poorer country like South Africa would not cope as well with the virus, so it would spread faster?

A close friend of mine, who is 65, has payed for a MMR vaccination(£45).

The vaccination was administered at Superdrug in London.

He explained to me that there was some evidence that the MMR  vax gave some protection against Cov-19.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0042682214000051

Furthermore ,he explained that he wasn't going to wait around until

his GP called him for vaccination,"To damn slow.Better some protection now. It's worth a punt".

If Superdrug can dish out all kinds of vaccines. Will they be dishing out Covid -19  vax ?

Edited by petemcewan

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

If anyone could help with a question I'd be grateful. I only intermittently caught Matt Hancock's statement about COVID and the new variant. He sounded extremely grave, and I'm sure he said it's spreading at a dangerous rate.  Is there an epidemiological / medical reason why he waiting to put more areas into Tier 4. 

I didn't catch the whole of the statement, nor the response from backbenchers - so I'm a little confused.

i imagine he didn't want to be the man who really cancelled christmas though it wouldn't have been his decision. 

there has been a fair bit of messaging about the risks associated with indoor mixing so I'm guessing the government are hoping people will generally be sensible and those who aren't wont have paid much attention to the messaging anyway. 

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Perhaps a poorer country like South Africa would not cope as well with the virus, so it would spread faster?

I think the point is that it's spread here.

"Only" 2 confirmed cases in the UK so far, but you tell from Hancock's tone that this has caused increased concern, admitting that the variant has the potential of out-running even the first variant (or at least the first variant we've been told about...)

15 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I think the point is that it's spread here.

"Only" 2 confirmed cases in the UK so far, but you tell from Hancock's tone that this has caused increased concern, admitting that the variant has the potential of out-running even the first variant (or at least the first variant we've been told about...)

Or, maybe they mismanaged the message about the U.K. variant and are hoping that the new bogey monster will distract everyone from their crass attempt at news management 

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

A close friend of mine, who is 65, has payed for a MMR vaccination(£45).

The vaccination was administered at Superdrug in London.

He explained to me that there was some evidence that the MMR  vax gave some protection against Cov-19.

Surely its just a matter that the more vaccinations and illnesses that you have had, it will build up your immune system to all manner of illnesses?

COVID is just another cold virus, so if you have had the cold virus in the past year, perhaps it will help your immune system fight COVID.