Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah that would be great. However in reality its completely unfeasible.

You cannot simply "stop" people from travelling.

People have jobs to return to, they have commitments, they have split families and  responsibility to care for, they have 1001 potential arguments of legitimate purposes why they need to get somewhere and anyone putting up a barrier to that is going to be met with robust challenge, controversy and even legal action -which is only going to tie up the already stretch public services even more.

It is an extremely difficult balancing exercise.  Whilst of course I agree that has to be some form of control there are also extremely limited resources to manage it all and an extremely limited amount of public acceptance of any such control methods.

It is quite clear, fueled by the pot stirring media, that there is obvious warring conflict.....with 50% of the population blaming the government for overreacting, crippling the economy and unreasonably disrupting their lives for some "piddling little flu" ......against 50% of the population  blaming the government for not acting quick enough, decisive enough nor hard line enough by failing to lock people down in their homes 24/7 until all risks are totally eliminated.

They can't do right for doing wrong and people will always make their own decisions on whether they are going to tow the line.

Yep agree. I guess all roads then lead towards a longer lockdown, Matt Hancock mentioned tougher rules for a couple of months today so guess we’ll hear more soon after Xmas day.

Time to get the decorating done in Jan and Feb methinks!

24 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yeah that would be great. However in reality its completely unfeasible.

You cannot simply "stop" people from travelling.

People have jobs to return to, they have commitments, they have split families and  responsibility to care for, they have 1001 potential arguments of legitimate purposes why they need to get somewhere and anyone putting up a barrier to that is going to be met with robust challenge, controversy and even legal action -which is only going to tie up the already stretch public services even more.

It is an extremely difficult balancing exercise.  Whilst of course I agree that has to be some form of control there are also extremely limited resources to manage it all and an extremely limited amount of public acceptance of any such control methods.

It is quite clear, fueled by the pot stirring media, that there is obvious warring conflict.....with 50% of the population blaming the government for overreacting, crippling the economy and unreasonably disrupting their lives for some "piddling little flu" ......against 50% of the population  blaming the government for not acting quick enough, decisive enough nor hard line enough by failing to lock people down in their homes 24/7 until all risks are totally eliminated.

They can't do right for doing wrong and people will always make their own decisions on whether they are going to tow the line.

Back in wartime, there was no shortage of stories and tales of those who rebelled against the system and took a stand against the rules. Bear in mind that was a period when actually must governments had the respect of their public and ultimate superiority.  

In modern times 2020 when governments or any public bodies are lothed, distrusted, ignored and constantly challenged by their public more than ever - trying to get the people to fall in line is going to be even more of a challenge no matter how legitimate the reasons.

It was only just around a month ago, the same time that London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, had managed to argue the importance of the London in the scheme of things, their importance to the economy & how important it was that Londoners, didn't suffer any further restrictions in the run up to Christmas, that convinced the Govt to put the City & London boroughs into Tier 2, while cities like Sheffield had to go into Tier 3, even though we had a significant lower 'R' rate than any of the London boroughs, simply because the Yorkshire region as a whole had an 'R', comparable to the London region?  Work that one out? 

Having successfully won the right to have London classed as Tier 2, having watched the 'R' rise again in the London area & see a new strain of COVID develop, Khan is now moaning about the area being put under the more stringent measures of the new Tier 4.  Khan surely bears some responsibility for what has happened? 

It strikes me that if London was put, as it should have been a month ago, into Tier 3, they wouldn't be having the problems that they are facing now?

Edited by Baron99

16 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

It was only just around a month ago, the same time that London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, had managed to argue the importance of the London in the scheme of things, their importance to the economy & how important it was that Londoners, didn't suffer any further restrictions in the run up to Christmas, that convinced the Govt to put the City & London boroughs into Tier 2, while cities like Sheffield had to go into Tier 3, even though we had a significant lower 'R' rate than any of the London boroughs, simply because the Yorkshire region as a whole had an 'R', comparable to the London region?  Work that one out? 

Having successfully won the right to have London classed as Tier 2, having watched the 'R' rise again in the London area & see a new strain of COVID develop, Khan is now moaning about the area being put under the more stringent measures of the new Tier 4.  Khan surely bears some responsibility for what has happened? 

It strikes me that if London was put, as it should have been a month ago, into Tier 3, they wouldn't be having the problems that they are facing now?

The most stupid thing is that half empty restaurants and bars in London do not drive the UK economy, the Finance sector does.

It was a false argument for Khan to claim otherwise.

I do think part of it is London panicking about the potential  economic damage as they haven’t seen anything like that in a lifetime.

In the North sadly we are more used  to it so perhaps behave a little more pragmatically.

30 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Basically i think so, they were seen as special, now they are reaping what they have sown

1 hour ago, Westie1889 said:

Yep agree. I guess all roads then lead towards a longer lockdown, Matt Hancock mentioned tougher rules for a couple of months today so guess we’ll hear more soon after Xmas day.

What about better testing, if the tests are unreliable, have two tests.

Better tracking of contacts, encourage people to download the app. More help for people that need to isolate.

London going into lockdown is a step in the wrong direction. I dont know if Boris is controlling the media, but I hear nothing to counter to what Boris is doing.

Edited by El Cid

2 hours ago, enntee said:

The virus is only spreading faster because people are incapable of following very simple advice.

Incapable of following very simple  following advice starts at the top. (Boris),    Thats why we are in this mess.

I hope the tracking device is still attached to Dominic Cummings car.

Just caught part of a BBC radio news broadcast at 8pm.

Did I hear correctly?

Travel to France and Belgium banned from 10 pm tonight.

No goods either...

Also, Scottish police manning border points between England and Scotland, with the intention of stopping cross-border traffic.

Edit : you can now add Ireland, Netherlands and Turkey.

It's all kicking off now...

Edited by RiffRaff

Flights now banned to

Germany 

Sweden

Switzerland

Kuwait

Italy

Dare say that list will grow by the hour

There was an anti lockdown protest again in London this weekend gone.

We ought to follow the Aussie route if dealing with the organisers

El Cid

You may find this interesting.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0092867420308175#bib3

Especially Para 3 in the Main Text.

Still, these data do not prove that G614 is more infectious or transmissible than viruses containing D614. And because of that, many questions remain on the potential impacts, if any, that D614G has on the COVID-19 pandemic

I'm holding onto this:

The same team found clinical evidence to suggest that people with this variant had more virus particles in their upper respiratory tracts than people with other variants. That said, despite this extra “viral load,” their illness appeared to be no more severe.

Taken from the link you provided.

Edited by petemcewan