Coronavirus - Part Two.

Apparently some experts think people mixing at Christmas will be offset by schools and some workplaces being closed. I hope these aren’t the same experts that said kids don’t spread covid and going to work is ok because workplaces are ‘covid secure’ 😂

1 minute ago, redruby said:

Apparently some experts think people mixing at Christmas will be offset by schools and some workplaces being closed. I hope these aren’t the same experts that said kids don’t spread covid and going to work is ok because workplaces are ‘covid secure’ 😂

surely thats guesswork and luck.

Real experts would look at where the vast majority of transmissions come from, if its schools and they are shut fair enough, but if its friends and family indoors then we are up the creek. Like pubs, instead of showing the scientific data for shutting pubs etc Hancock the other day started dribbling about care homes and tough decisions. Me thinks there isnt scientific data to show pubs should be shut

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

surely thats guesswork and luck.

Real experts would look at where the vast majority of transmissions come from, if its schools and they are shut fair enough, but if its friends and family indoors then we are up the creek. Like pubs, instead of showing the scientific data for shutting pubs etc Hancock the other day started dribbling about care homes and tough decisions. Me thinks there isnt scientific data to show pubs should be shut

Probably  because pubs have generally only been open in summer so a lot of customers could drink outside, windows / doors could be open etc.

12 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Probably  because pubs have generally only been open in summer so a lot of customers could drink outside, windows / doors could be open etc.

Id like him to show the science though rather than change the subject onto care homes

Have you noticed that nobody has even mentioned New Year's Eve as regards the celebrations yet?

Let's face it, if Christmas is meant for kids, NYE is primarily an adult job...

Given we're losing about 2500 people a week at present, how's about circa 75k by the middle of January if the suspected/threatened case increase is right?

3 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Have you noticed that nobody has even mentioned New Year's Eve as regards the celebrations yet?

Let's face it, if Christmas is meant for kids, NYE is primarily an adult job...

Given we're losing about 2500 people a week at present, how's about circa 75k by the middle of January if the suspected/threatened case increase is right?

Northern irelands got a full lockdown from boxing day till a week or so into january as they think januarys gonna be bad otherwise

I just wished the Government's advice on Christmas was 'We've already got a vaccine that's being rolled out to the most vulnerable. Let's postpone the get togethers that usually happen at this time of year, and instead protect the NHS and save lives."

10 hours ago, melthebell said:

Saw a video on youtube the other day with various nurses being interviewed in the US and why they wont wear masks out in public, despite the fact they do at work (cos they have to)

You just cant make it up, sadly i cant find the same video as im not subscribed

There’s quite a lot of UK care staff who are reported to intend to refuse the vaccine. If they are as a result prevented from working who is going to provide care for the most vulnerable elderly people who have already been let down so badly? Also who gives informed consent for those deemed incapable of making their own decisions? If family decline vaccination will care homes have to ‘evict’ vulnerable residents?

Just now, Mister M said:

I just wished the Government's advice on Christmas was 'We've already got a vaccine that's being rolled out to the most vulnerable. Let's postpone the get togethers that usually happen at this time of year, and instead protect the NHS and save lives."

I agree entirely. A couple of extra holidays at Easter and a proper lockdown now would save thousands of lives.

That said, I have both of my adult kids back home now. Both tested negative twice, as are all of their close contacts. So Christmas won’t be a total wipeout for us. I guess the Government need credit for that. 

1 hour ago, catmiss said:

There’s quite a lot of UK care staff who are reported to intend to refuse the vaccine. 

But that is their decision as it only affects them and not others. What people need to understand is that by having the vaccine all it does is stop the person who is vaccinated from suffering from it. It does not mean you cannot still transmit the virus on to others, and that is a problem. It is not known at the moment if vaccinated people can still be asymptomatic spreaders, simply because there are several types of vaccine available and they are all new.

21 hours ago, melthebell said:

its ok working class "tories" saying it can be lowered, what about people on it that still have the same bills and food to pay? do they get lowered?

With the chancellor saying its extended to April i presume theyve looked and believe it can go on longer, and needs to go on?

Rather than working class "tories" willy waving

Some still not getting furlough at all.  Should have made zero hours employers pay a percentage of the average monthly wage of their employees.

21 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

Some still not getting furlough at all.  Should have made zero hours employers pay a percentage of the average monthly wage of their employees.

the problem with making them pay, they then get rid instead