Coronavirus - Part Two.

So another blunder by the Government? another Government U-turn about to happen?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55311717

The plan to ease Covid rules over Christmas in the UK is a "rash decision" that will "cost many lives", two leading medical journals have said.

The Health Service Journal and British Medical Journal said people might see the lifting of restrictions "as permission to drop their guard".

Edited by melthebell

Its interesting that the roll out of the vaccine is being done differently in Scotland and England. In Scotland its care homes and staff first, in England it goes to GP practices first.

Maybe it is done the same, but presented differently?

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Its interesting that the roll out of the vaccine is being done differently in Scotland and England. In Scotland its care homes and staff first, in England it goes to GP practices first.

Maybe it is done the same, but presented differently?

I spoke to my m-i-l's Sheffield care home about this the other day. I was told that the problem concerned the "package" of 1000 vaccines - it couldn't be broken down enough in the "correct" time and the transportation problems to each care home from a central hub.

Are there any homes locally with 1000 residents and staff? I doubt it.

My conclusion was that, unless someone gets a grip, care homes are going to miss out for the time being.

Your exact question was asked on BBC Breakfast the other morning : how it was possible in Scotland, but not England.

The response was that there are "legal differences".

Unfortunately, the response wasn't followed up....

Edited by RiffRaff

48 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

I spoke to my m-i-l's Sheffield care home about this the other day. I was told that the problem concerned the "package" of 1000 vaccines - it couldn't be broken down enough in the "correct" time and the transportation problems to each care home from a central hub.

Are there any homes locally with 1000 residents and staff? I doubt it.

My conclusion was that, unless someone gets a grip, care homes are going to miss out for the time being.

Your exact question was asked on BBC Breakfast the other morning : how it was possible in Scotland, but not England.

The response was that there are "legal differences".

Unfortunately, the response wasn't followed up....

Of course it wasn't followed up - our journolist are asleep at the wheel more often than not.

On 14/12/2020 at 07:41, El Cid said:

Maybe you would be happy to allow those that have been vaccinated more freedoms?

Those that have received the first vaccination won’t be fully covered to ‘have more freedoms’ in time for Christmas. As it’s still unclear if the current vaccine prevents transmission recipients will still have to follow restrictions 

5 hours ago, catmiss said:

Those that have received the first vaccination won’t be fully covered to ‘have more freedoms’ in time for Christmas. As it’s still unclear if the current vaccine prevents transmission recipients will still have to follow restrictions 

Plus they have to have the Booster 21 days later.

Looks like expectations of full vaccine deployment and going back to "normal" by summer are unrealistic according to the National Audit Office:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-less-than-half-of-uk-population-could-be-vaccinated-in-2021-spending-watchdog-says-12162805

12 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Looks like expectations of full vaccine deployment and going back to "normal" by summer are unrealistic according to the National Audit Office:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-less-than-half-of-uk-population-could-be-vaccinated-in-2021-spending-watchdog-says-12162805

There are around nine million people aged over 70 in the UK, these are the ones that need the vaccine. So if you vaccinate the old and vulnerable, you will need 30 million doses of vaccine for 15 million people. Maybe more if you vaccinate NHS and care staff.

I thought the tiers were being reviewed today - has anyone heard anything? I can't find any news online.

I assume we'll still be in tier 3 though.