Coronavirus - Part Two.

51 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Its quite clear that Boris Johnson cannot and should not set the rules for the entire country, because he is out of touch with their needs and circumstances and one rule for the whole country just would not be right for everyone.

so everyone makes their own rules? - that will work wont it

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Its quite clear that Boris Johnson cannot and should not set the rules for the entire country, because he is out of touch with their needs and circumstances and one rule for the whole country just would not be right for everyone.

Quite often the "needs and circumstances" are just selfishness.  

Lockdown2 has been a farce.  

Illegal wedding party guests fined £200 each after trying to hide from furious police

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/illegal-wedding-party-guests-fined-23031329

24 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

To be frank, I don't quite see why Johnson - or Starmer, for that matter - would be anything other than in touch with my needs and circumstances.

I can't see why the "one rule" would be any more or less relevant to someone living in Belfast or Bristol.

In short, the fewer people we meet in the next few weeks/months, the better.

How about there being a difference between London and a small village in Sheffield?

Just cancel Xmas,  Sherriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman)  did in Prince of Thieves.  :hihi:

12 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Most of the UK probably agree with you (I certainly do), but the pressure put on the Government by the small minority who already ignore the Covid rules, and the press (who have a major say in matters through their headlines and pressure), added to the wishes of the religious, and the children, and others wanting a bit of cheer, meant some easing was going to happen anyway, whether it was sanctioned or not.

For a  few days over Xmas, the rules are put to one side.  That does not mean we all have to change our routines.  We can choose to treat those 2 days the same as any others in these Covid days, and hope that those who accept the freedom of a few days enjoy it, and use it as a release before going back to the lockdown routine we're all used to.

As far as my family  and I are concerned, we will not be doing anything at Xmas to put ourselves at further risk.  We won't be getting together, we'll carry on as normal, even if Boris says we can.  We'll be doing the best we can to stay safe, and hope that 2021 will at some point bring us a vaccine and an end to Covid.

That's exactly what we've decided. 

Usually we have 10 here for Christmas day and we love it.  This year it is not happening.   We have ALL sacrificed so much this year, why possibly throw it all away for the sake of Christmas Day.      It is also our wedding anniversary on Boxing Day and we usually celebrate it at our daughter's house ...... not this year.

We have all agreed that it is just not worth the risk.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

They are my sentiments too. Parents with young children can still make Christmas day a special day without big family gatherings. The news about the vaccines that will be available after Christmas is good positive news which should give everyone hope Christmas 2021 will be a normal Christmas for everyone to enjoy. Missing one Christmas isn't and shouldn't be a tough difficult challenge for adults to bear.

I'm in complete agreement,  kids still get the enjoyment of opening presents, adults just put going out on the lash on hold because this day and age for the majority of adults its just another excuse to get bladdered like every weekend through out the year, as for family gatherings, it would be far safer to gather after the vaccines have been rolled out or else by being impatient it could cause some elderly folk not to be here for next Xmas when all is safe,  anyhow since early march our way of life has been a flippin nightmare, we are now on the brink of putting this nightmare behind us,  this is where the Sheffield Forum comes into its own,  so lets get the message out to our familys to hold back and keep safe, hopefully this message will spread faster than this awful thing we have plighting our lives at the moment.

13 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A good post. The positive news about the vaccines is a game changer. 

Cheers,  Yes it really is positive news and game changer, it would even better if the people on the prioty list could get their jabs before Xmas, using the existing test centres is an exellent idea to get the vaccine circulated quicker.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

How about there being a difference between London and a small village in Sheffield?

It only takes one person to transmit it given the right (wrong, but you see what I mean) circumstances.

Makes no odds whether he's standing in Gloucester Road tube station or rambling through the Hope Valley.

Has there been a second lockdown then? I thought it had been cancelled. When this was due to start I thought things would be the same as the first lockdown so I stayed in for the first week. I then decided to go and get some grub,I was amazed. There were cars and people every ware.I decided to avoid the traffic and go to Fox Valley.The car park was packed as were the shops. Most of them appeared to be open including those I didn't  think were allowed to  open,I gave it up as a bad job.It came as no surprise that the death toll has since continued to rise.The governments answer, lets have five days of doing anything,mixing and going anywhere over xmas. Start a third wave and force another lockdown.The mind boggles at such gross incompetence and total lack of consideration for NHS workers.

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

It only takes one person to transmit it given the right (wrong, but you see what I mean) circumstances.

Makes no odds whether he's standing in Gloucester Road tube station or rambling through the Hope Valley.

Well England, Scotland and Wales have all had different rules, at different times.

There are roughly 3,000,000 newly self-employed that have not been elidgable for furlough, they could end up homeless.

We should be living in a free country were people can choose to work or not. We seem to be entering into a dictatorship, with another pay freeze and needing permission to meet family members at a special time.

People voted for Boris to get Brexit done, not for this country to led by Boris the dictator.

4 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Just cancel Xmas,  Sherriff of Nottingham (Alan Rickman)  did in Prince of Thieves.  :hihi:

No need to cancel Christmas. Even if you're on your own you can still enjoy the day. Break out the Baileys (or tipple of your choice,) get some nice food in that you enjoy and a few treats, settle back in front of the fire, warm and snug, watch what you want on the telly, and count your blessings. Plenty of people would love a Christmas like that.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

No need to cancel Christmas. Even if you're on your own you can still enjoy the day. Break out the Baileys (or tipple of your choice,) get some nice food in that you enjoy and a few treats, settle back in front of the fire, warm and snug, watch what you want on the telly, and count your blessings. Plenty of people would love a Christmas like that.

Agree entirely.  Just one day, although there's two of us. 

I'd rather that, than a full Xmas dinner & wondering who might not be around by Easter?