Coronavirus - Part Two.

West77.

I'm in agreement with what you say in your last sentence.

I'm 70+ with Asthma.But according to my last medical,generally in good health. 

I will be standing patiently (twice ,I presume) in line when it comes to it.

Good health and a long life to you.

18 hours ago, enntee said:

Disappointed to have had to deal with a door-knocker that had no awareness of the fact that she was breaking lockdown rules.

"MoneyExpert" that try and get you to change utility/broadband/telephone contracts.

I'm sure that at some level your door knocker knew what she was doing was probably wrong but maybe she was  struggling to pay for food, rent, heat or maybe christmas presents for her offspring. 

People who do these jobs tend to be poorly paid and poorly treated by both their employer and the benefit system. 

Some ones telling porkies,

"

Anger flared last night after the Department of Health and Social Care’s Twitter account was used in an effort to rubbish a report challenging official scaremongering by analysing key facts about the coronavirus pandemic.

Under the headline ‘Covid: What They Don’t Tell You’, a two-page article in yesterday’s Daily Mail raised multiple questions about the manner in which the Government has dealt with the crisis."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8973737/Fury-government-uses-Twitter-propaganda-tool-attack-Mails-covid-analysis.html

4 hours ago, retep said:

Some ones telling porkies,

"

Anger flared last night after the Department of Health and Social Care’s Twitter account was used in an effort to rubbish a report challenging official scaremongering by analysing key facts about the coronavirus pandemic.

Under the headline ‘Covid: What They Don’t Tell You’, a two-page article in yesterday’s Daily Mail raised multiple questions about the manner in which the Government has dealt with the crisis."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8973737/Fury-government-uses-Twitter-propaganda-tool-attack-Mails-covid-analysis.html

Not sure anyone actually is telling porkies (or the vegan alternative) 

Not entirely sure why people (though it only seems to be  Duncan Smith, a couple of MPs from the hate poor people end of the party and some Daily Telegraph  journalists) are angry. Projections are projections and reality reflects the results of people actions which are driven to a greater or lesser extent by government policies. 

As far a I can see then reality shows that in general people are being sensible (with the already noted exceptions )  and despite a poor implementation of some parts  by the government, the general government strategy seems to be working which is why we aren't following the projections. which I would have thought would be a good thing?

I've not idea what the Daily Mail would do differently, but I presume that IDS and his buddies would sooner follow the Trump strayegy of basically do nothing which doesn't seem to be working. 

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

Not sure anyone actually is telling porkies (or the vegan alternative) 

Not entirely sure why people (though it only seems to be  Duncan Smith, a couple of MPs from the hate poor people end of the party and some Daily Telegraph  journalists) are angry. Projections are projections and reality reflects the results of people actions which are driven to a greater or lesser extent by government policies. 

As far a I can see then reality shows that in general people are being sensible (with the already noted exceptions )  and despite a poor implementation of some parts  by the government, the general government strategy seems to be working which is why we aren't following the projections. which I would have thought would be a good thing?

I've not idea what the Daily Mail would do differently, but I presume that IDS and his buddies would sooner follow the Trump strayegy of basically do nothing which doesn't seem to be working. 

I love the Daily Mail's inability to compare like with like.

"It pointed out that Government predictions on the number of the potential deaths from the virus were wildly inaccurate. In a July report commissioned by Chief Medical Officer Sir Patrick Vallance, scientists predicted that there could be 119,000 fatalities if a second wave coincided with a peak of winter flu – but the actual figure has so far turned out to be less than half of that."

Like you said it ignores the effect of the current lockdown - and the second wave came in autumn not winter and before the flu season. Perhaps the wave after Christmas easing might though. January and February could be really tough.

Edited by Longcol

50 minutes ago, Longcol said:

"It pointed out that Government predictions on the number of the potential deaths from the virus were wildly inaccurate. In a July report commissioned by Chief Medical Officer Sir Patrick Vallance, scientists predicted that there could be 119,000 fatalities if a second wave coincided with a peak of winter flu – but the actual figure has so far turned out to be less than half of that."

Like you said it ignores the effect of the current lockdown - and the second wave came in autumn not winter and before the flu season. Perhaps the wave after Christmas easing might though. January and February could be really tough.

It was using the governments own results, as in Mike Grahams tweet, questioning the government.

30 minutes ago, retep said:

It was using the governments own results, as in Mike Grahams tweet, questioning the government.

So the "facts" in the Mail article re: the second wave were wrong. Hardly a first.

Edited by Longcol

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

So many similarities to when I worked on the millenium bug back in the late 90s. It never happened so it was overblown and not a problem.

The fact that many thousands (millions?) of us worked on it to make it an non-event is irrelevant.

Covid-19 has the potential to seriously blow up in our faces (exponential growth) that a level of prudence is appropriate. The fact that the levels have been largely contained due to restrictions and lockdowns doesn't mean they were not necessary. The projections were based on no actions being taken (amongst other factors) - actions were taken and now we see the results.

I think you just need to look at the USA if you want to see the result of inaction.

Edited by whiteowl

6 hours ago, whiteowl said:

So many similarities to when I worked on the millenium bug back in the late 90s. It never happened so it was overblown and not a problem.

The fact that many thousands (millions?) of us worked on it to make it an non-event is irrelevant.

Covid-19 has the potential to seriously blow up in our faces (exponential growth) that a level of prudence is appropriate. The fact that the levels have been largely contained due to restrictions and lockdowns doesn't mean they were not necessary. The projections were based on no actions being taken (amongst other factors) - actions were taken and now we see the results.

I think you just need to look at the USA if you want to see the result of inaction.

The Daily Mail has published a lot of hogwash over covid. Earlier this month, when the numbers of infections hadn’t risen very dramatically they had headlined this something like ‘Just a 10% increase in cases’ and argued there was no need for a lockdown.

Oh, and according to article they did last week apparently all of us will be vaccinated by the January. 

But looking at their news for today we will be in lockdown until spring when vaccines start being rolled out.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

The Daily Mail has published a lot of hogwash over covid. Earlier this month, when the numbers of infections hadn’t risen very dramatically they had headlined this something like ‘Just a 10% increase in cases’ and argued there was no need for a lockdown.

Oh, and according to article they did last week apparently all of us will be vaccinated by the January. 

But looking at their news for today we will be in lockdown until spring when vaccines start being rolled out.

December roll out according to the Guardian,

"As G20 leaders pledged to ensure the equitable distribution of Covid-19 vaccines, drugs and tests so that poorer countries are not left out, the US, UK and Germany each announced plans to begin vaccinations in their countries in December, while Spain said it would start administering the vaccine to its citizens in January."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/23/us-germany-and-uk-could-start-covid-vaccinations-as-early-as-december

2 hours ago, redruby said:

The Daily Mail has published a lot of hogwash over covid.

They're at it today, the government supposedly wasting taxpayers money on "home comforts" for home workers.

HMRC alone used almost £4million of public taxes on working from home, with its staff spending £500,000 on transporting office furniture to employees' homes. HMRC staff were also given an allowance of £80 for an office chair and £120 for a desk.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8975839/Cash-wasted-home-comforts-Whitehall-staff-worked-remote.html

I can't speak for them all but my OH works 60+ hours a week as a civil servant (she's paid for 37). 

She has back problems so needs a special desk and chair.    I'm tall and need a special chair, my chair isn't anything special but cost a lot more than £120.

Funny how the DM doesn't mention anything about the huge saving on electricity, heating and lighting - that has had to come out of our own pockets now home working is the norm.