Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, altus said:

The government needs to stop feeding that speculation too. Too many of the public don't do nuanced messages. If a minister announces "We may have a vaccine available before XMAS for NHS staff but a wider roll out won't happen until the spring" many of the public will just hear that as "We may have a vaccine available before XMAS". They need to phrase it as "We won't have a vaccine widely available until the spring but may be able to get early doses to NHS staff by XMAS". Much as ministers might want to put a positive spin on things they must resist the urge to.

Yes, too right. The press have got a lot to answer for.  
The possible relaxation of restrictions just for Christmas followed by a lockdown sounds like a shambles. I don’t suppose anyone wants to the Grinch that cancels Christmas but really is it worth it??!! Apart from anything else a lot of folks find January depressing at the best of times. How will it be it Covid cases start rocketing and we end up locked down for even longer in winter?

Par for the course for the spineless PM we have.

Makes decision too late because he follows the pack.

Wants to please everyone while at the same time being responsible for thousands of unnecessary deaths.

Spending money on PPE unfit for purpose and then being proud of doing so

Doesn't want to upset the electorate but is willing to sacrifice sections of the population in his constant drive for public acceptance...

Go BoJo Go - you are a sexist racist cheat and a liar and your are a death knell for the UK population.

Do the right thing and fall on your sword!

4 hours ago, melthebell said:

strangely theres scientists out there that have been fighting previous outbreaks of coronavirus, sars, swine flu, bird flu, ebola etc

Who have spent their whole lives devoted to learning and fighting viruses

sadly just seen a post on facebook from south yorkshire news about a young lad that got beaten up for backing up a tram driver when he told two lads to wear masks. The whole of the comments were from young (i presume) people A: mentioning he should mind his own business and B: They shouldnt wear masks if they dont want to. the virus being a hoax and them being real truthseekers was thrown in there as well :(

I suspect the thugs that beat up the victim, don't believe themselves as 'truthseekers'; just <removed>  trying to justify their violence. Hope they're caught and chucked inside prison.

The people believing that the virus is just a hoax are really worrying. They're on Talk Radio and LBC to a lesser extent. They make Philomena Cunk, and Barry ****peas sound intelligent.

3 hours ago, altus said:

The government needs to stop feeding that speculation too. Too many of the public don't do nuanced messages. If a minister announces "We may have a vaccine available before XMAS for NHS staff but a wider roll out won't happen until the spring" many of the public will just hear that as "We may have a vaccine available before XMAS". They need to phrase it as "We won't have a vaccine widely available until the spring but may be able to get early doses to NHS staff by XMAS". Much as ministers might want to put a positive spin on things they must resist the urge to.

I agree.

This is just a continuation of the dreadful communication throughout this pandemic. 

I think everyone understands that the public want a Christmas where they can see their families, but if the consequence of that is more deaths, and longer lockdowns, then personally I think Ministers should take responsibility and advise the public not to treat Christmas as though it were just an ordinary Christmas.  I know Johnson in particular wants to be loved, but no one will thank him if he doesn't lead from the front and do the right thing.

Edited by nikki-red

3 hours ago, altus said:

I agree. The trouble is, the popular press, in pursuit of clicks and comments will twist even the clearest, most carefully constructed messaging into a sensational headline, specially designed to raise expectations, dash hopes and whip up a good old furore. 

22 hours ago, melthebell said:

strangely theres scientists out there that have been fighting previous outbreaks of coronavirus, sars, swine flu, bird flu, ebola etc

Who have spent their whole lives devoted to learning and fighting viruses

sadly just seen a post on facebook from south yorkshire news about a young lad that got beaten up for backing up a tram driver when he told two lads to wear masks. The whole of the comments were from young (i presume) people A: mentioning he should mind his own business and B: They shouldnt wear masks if they dont want to. the virus being a hoax and them being real truthseekers was thrown in there as well :(

Yes the comments are shocking. Nearly all saying he deserved to get beaten, some even saying the beating wasn't severe enough to teach him to keep his mouth shut. Real eye opener how much scum we have in this city.

23 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Yes the comments are shocking. Nearly all saying he deserved to get beaten, some even saying the beating wasn't severe enough to teach him to keep his mouth shut. Real eye opener how much scum we have in this city.

Thing is if it was normal crime, theyd be mouthing off about people should stand up against muggers etc, just cant make it up

My God!  At the end of each Downing Street Briefing I keep expecting  Matt Hancock to say,  Hi de Hi,  he looks like Geoffrey Fairbrother.  :hihi:

It has occurred to me. That as we are patiently standing in line with our sleeve/gansey rolled up. There might be those with loads of money, slipping in the back door for their Cov-19 vaccination.

Is it feasible ,that  there will be an underground market through  which a fist full of quids  will queue jump you to a jab?

After all, it's a business.

And like some people sell a kidney. Could a person sell their place in the queue?

Maybe I'm just being daft.

Stay safe you all -not long to go.

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

There might be those with loads of money, slipping in the back door for their Cov-19 vaccination.

Is it feasible ,that  there will be an underground market through  which a fist full of quids  will queue jump you to a jab?

After all, it's a business.

Just like getting a flu vaccine, if you are not elidgable yet, private companies may offer the flu vaccine for £xx

Not underground at all, just how things work. Same with the COVID vaccine.

Piece in the i newspaper today, taken from 'The New Scientist'.  Mass vaccinations with most expected to be vaccinated England by next April. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2237475-covid-19-news-nhs-drafts-plan-to-vaccinate-adults-in-england-by-april/

Edited by Baron99

Overheard a gobby braggart in a garden centre earlier this afternoon, telling someone he'd bumped into that he was going to ignore any regulations regarding Christmas - he was having as many people and relatives round as he liked. "No Government is going to tell me how to spend my time - if I want to have a dozen for dinner, I'll have a dozen for dinner..."

The poor soul who'd been chosen to listen to all this "me, me, me" rubbish, politely responded that he hoped that the loudmouth would have a lovely Christmas...

Well, fair do's.

Let's face it...it might turn out to be his last.

Edited by RiffRaff

1 hour ago, enntee said:

Disappointed to have had to deal with a door-knocker that had no awareness of the fact that she was breaking lockdown rules.

"MoneyExpert" that try and get you to change utility/broadband/telephone contracts.

It beggers belief doesn't it !          Stupid some people.