Coronavirus - Part Two.

RiffRaff,

You've stirred the cynic in me.

You might like the document in the link.

See page 6, Public confidence....

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/our-work/pubs_archive/pubs-pdfs/2020/200709-The-Publics-Role-in-COVID-19-Vaccination.pd

Link describes policy making in  vaccine allocation. (US based . But policy concerns translate easily to UK context).

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

The cynic in me begins to wonder if the term "key workers" might suddenly encompass other groups, such as politicians, civil defence and council officials and the like...y'know, those people who are deemed to be more important because of their (supposed) organisational skills and the like.

A bit like those fortunates who would have been granted access to the nuclear shelter, if and when!

OT, but I don't think that's a thing any more, the destructive power of modern nuclear weapons being such that the depths required for siting such a shelter make them unfeasible....or so I have read in any case.

But I can agree with your point about "key workers". I can quite well forsee MP's voting to rebrand themselves as key workers.

5 hours ago, petemcewan said:

RiffRaff,

You've stirred the cynic in me.

You might like the document in the link.

See page 6, Public confidence....

https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/our-work/pubs_archive/pubs-pdfs/2020/200709-The-Publics-Role-in-COVID-19-Vaccination.pd

Link describes policy making in  vaccine allocation. (US based . But policy concerns translate easily to UK context).

Hmmmmm......

".... neither capricious nor unjustly weighted in favor of some people over others ...."

We'll see, won't we!

(Ta for the link, by the way. Don't think I'll bother ploughing through 47 pages, though. But maybe I should.....) 

BBC news tonight showing a graph showing deaths are not going up like in the first wave, this must be good news, will be good to get out of lockdown 🙂

Edited by MuteWitness

2 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

BBC news tonight showing a graph showing deaths are not going up like in the first wave, this must be good news, will be good to get out of lockdown 🙂

Why would anyone end a lockdown when infections, hospitalisations and deaths are still rising?

2 hours ago, MuteWitness said:

From what I’ve read I believe this because treatments for covid have improved. 
I want to get out lockdown too but I think it would be massive mistake to start lifting restrictions too quickly, especially when infections are still so high and Christmas is coming up. Lifting restrictions over the summer too quickly is part of the reason we are in the second lockdown now. We need to be patient.

Edited by redruby

1 hour ago, redruby said:

I want to get out lockdown too but I think it would be massive mistake to start lifting restrictions too quickly, especially when infections are still so high and Christmas is coming up. Lifting restrictions over the summer too quickly is part of the reason we are in the second lockdown now. We need to be patient.

Agree with you.  I reckon the lockdown won't be lifted until the following week of the 9th December? 

The trouble is then, no matter how many requests the Govt issues for social distancing, etc., with a fortnight before Christmas, everything is going to out the window.   We've already seen it over the summer. 

The pubs & bars will have to remain closed, even if it's one of their busiest periods but regardless, I reckon, we'll be in a 3rd lockdown, around second weekend in January, regardless of any possible vaccination, which, even if available by then, would only just be starting to be rolled out to the most vulnerable groups.   

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Even at the beginning of this pandenmic, some thought the deaths rates were not worth putting the country into record debt.

If things are improving, perhaps the economy needs to be released, so that the Government can raise tax monies for the NHS.

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Even at the beginning of this pandenmic, some thought the deaths rates were not worth putting the country into record debt.

If things are improving, perhaps the economy needs to be released, so that the Government can raise tax monies for the NHS.

How can increased infections, hospitalisations and deaths be classed as "things are improving"?

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Agree with you.  I reckon the lockdown won't be lifted until the following week of the 9th December? 

The trouble is then, no matter how many requests the Govt issues for social distancing, etc., with a fortnight before Christmas, everything is going to out the window.   We've already seen it over the summer. 

The pubs & bars will have to remain closed, even if it's one of their busiest periods but regardless, I reckon, we'll be in a 3rd lockdown, around second weekend in January, regardless of any possible vaccination, which, even if available by then, would only just be starting to be rolled out to the most vulnerable groups.   

Don't say that, with these bloody lockdowns this year I can't fit in any holidays from work lol

5 hours ago, Longcol said:

How can increased infections, hospitalisations and deaths be classed as "things are improving"?

Yes. The fact that treatments have improved doesn’t warrant opening everything back up now. I think some don’t realise that doing that would do more damage to the economy than holding out a bit longer with restrictions until vaccinations can make a difference.