Coronavirus - Part Two.

24 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

My Bold

Proper Classroom Experience.

In our Grandkids Experience.

One pupil gets Cori V so because he's in the same bubble  is asked not to come in & self isolate (but his younger brother can come in ???)

Next day younger Grandkids asked not to come in etc because a Teacher has Cori V.

School keeps open - with windows open - but that's alright because they have underfloor heating ??????

By this time two Teachers have Cori V.

Next day 4 Teachers have Cori V  - School Shuts

and god knows how many Parents have been infected through taking their Children to School- including one of our other daughters.

Yep Ann nothing like the Proper Classroom Experience circa 2020.

Keep safe

I was simply saying that online learning is not the answer, it's problematic for all sorts of reasons.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I was simply saying that online learning is not the answer, it's problematic for all sorts of reasons.

The main one being lack of laptops for kids. It’s definately doable and has been done in schools - often fee paying - throughout the pandemic. Universities have done it as well, the open university has done the whole distance learning for decades.

It shouldn’t be problematic.

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

The main one being lack of laptops for kids. It’s definately doable and has been done in schools - often fee paying - throughout the pandemic. Universities have done it as well, the open university has done the whole distance learning for decades.

Doable for some university courses. For those with lab or workshop work, engineering for example, it leaves a big gap.

Not forgetting that lectures are just one part of university life.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

For a few it isn't for an entire nation, it is. 

Working or schooling from home is never going to be as effective at doing it at the particular school/workplace. It just isn't. 

2 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

Working or schooling from home is never going to be as effective at doing it at the particular school/workplace. It just isn't. 

For school I would mostly agree but I do remember reading recently that a lot of school pupils had found their mental health had improved during lockdown. I think this was teenagers rather than small children. We do hear a lot about how important school is for kids mental health but it worth remembering that school is not universally wonderful for all kids.

With regards to workplaces I have worked at least as effectively at home than in the office (probably a bit more so as I’m less tired and don’t have all the disruptions offices usually have). I know the same applies to most (but not all) colleagues. However, I do think than meetings and training are more effective in a face to face situation. Going forward I, like most others in my workplace, would like a hybrid of office and home working.

31 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

Not long term, but it would be a useful port in the storm we’re in.

Just been revealed that Boris Johnson has been told to self isolate as he has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Coronavirus.

Hope he'll be okay.

34 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Just been revealed that Boris Johnson has been told to self isolate as he has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Coronavirus.

Hope he'll be okay.

That means we won’t see him until the middle of January.

Be interesting if he does test positive for it again and how it effects his health.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

For school I would mostly agree but I do remember reading recently that a lot of school pupils had found their mental health had improved during lockdown. I think this was teenagers rather than small children. We do hear a lot about how important school is for kids mental health but it worth remembering that school is not universally wonderful for all kids.

With regards to workplaces I have worked at least as effectively at home than in the office (probably a bit more so as I’m less tired and don’t have all the disruptions offices usually have). I know the same applies to most (but not all) colleagues. However, I do think than meetings and training are more effective in a face to face situation. Going forward I, like most others in my workplace, would like a hybrid of office and home working.

We're always hearing about 'the new normal,' well isn't this an opportunity to apply that to education in general, which in my opinion needs an overhaul as it is no longer fit for purpose. 

Kids need great role models, and to be able to navigate their way through a new world with better values and more emphasis on sustainability and the environment. Amongst other things. Do we still need to be teaching trigonometry when we could be teaching finance? And shouldn't their be more attention paid to applied science etc? What about life skills? Problem solving?There's plenty more, and I'm sure people will think of others. 

Anna B,

Most of England's schools follow the National Curriculum. If you dip into the link ,I've provided,you will see some of the topics that are being taught in our schools.

The subject matter seems adequate to me.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-curriculum

Edited by petemcewan

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

That means we won’t see him until the middle of January.

Be interesting if he does test positive for it again and how it effects his health.

so if you have had covid you can catch it again...is that correct  ?

thanks

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

We're always hearing about 'the new normal,' well isn't this an opportunity to apply that to education in general, which in my opinion needs an overhaul as it is no longer fit for purpose. 

Kids need great role models, and to be able to navigate their way through a new world with better values and more emphasis on sustainability and the environment. Amongst other things. Do we still need to be teaching trigonometry when we could be teaching finance? And shouldn't their be more attention paid to applied science etc? What about life skills? Problem solving?There's plenty more, and I'm sure people will think of others. 

I definitely agree on this. I think I would have benefited from lessons in managing personal finance at school rather than learning from experience!!

On another note I think we should also learn lessons about protecting the environment from this too.