Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Can all the anti-vacs please raise your hands & make yourselves known, so that we won't be wasting resources on you, which you don't believe in anyway? 

If that lot who were often to be found protesting outside the Peace Gardens, regularly on a Saturday morning until the £10k fines were put in place, get a jab before me, I'll be kicking off. 

is that a joke?

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

How come for years they always said there cannot be a cure for the common cold. Along comes COVID19 and there is a 90% effective vaccine within 12 months. COVID19 is in the same virus catagory as the common cold.

because the common cold does not cause tens of thousands of deaths in each wave.

There's going to be some interesting logistical problems to be addressed in getting 

the mRNA vaccine into people.

Possible military run centres for large scale vaccination . I can't see how one can just nip up the GP's and get jabbed . Cold Chain logistics need to be sorted ,

1 minute ago, petemcewan said:

There's going to be some interesting logistical problems to be addressed in getting 

Possible military run centres for large scale vaccination . I can't see how one can just nip up the GP's and get jabbed . Cold Chain logistics need to be sorted ,

As many buildings are not being used at present, I would have thought that they could be used when mass vaccinations are to be done.  Football grounds and leisure centres immediately come to mind.  Yes, it could well be the military, or reservists, doing the actual injections.  Maybe even cadets or scouts?

With the very elderly and clinically vulnerable at the front of the queue, I would have thought it would be difficult getting them to the centres.  Perhaps mobile units would be needed to visit people in their homes. 

I can't help visualising a tank rolling up my street and armed personnel getting out to give the old lady opposite an injection though!

26 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Sheffield, Rotherham and Barnsley have been left off the list of 67 places to receive mass testing. A bit odd as we were all previously in Tier 3.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54885657

It does seem odd - especially as Doncaster is getting mass testing despite Barnsley having the highest number of cases per 100,000 for the last week in South Yorkshire.

The London Boroughs that are getting testing are all around 150 or so cases per 100,000 and a quick glance shows a nmuber of other places with lower infection rates than Sheffield (391 per 100,000) eg Essex, Durham, Nottinghamshire, Northumberland. I'm sure there are many more.

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Not least that the vaccine needs to be transported & stored at around -70 to -80 degrees. 

Thirsty Relic and Baron 99 both spot on 

The Moderna mRNA vaccine looks like it can be shipped and stored in ordinary freezer trucks. Other vaccine candidates seem to have even less severe storage requirements.

Let's hope that there are very capable and clever people being drafted in to manage the whole  storage and delivery programme of the BioNTech vaccine.

50 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

The Moderna mRNA vaccine looks like it can be shipped and stored in ordinary freezer trucks. Other vaccine candidates seem to have even less severe storage requirements.

Let's hope that there are very capable and clever people being drafted in to manage the whole  storage and delivery programme of the BioNTech vaccine.

Dry ice would give you a nice temp of about -70 Celsius, so storage shouldn’t be too difficult. I’d imagine that the brains who could make an RNA based vaccine, should be able to work out how to keep it cool.

Here’s hoping anyway.

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

Capable and clever people, that rules out  Boris and his sidekick Hancock then.  :roll:

Greg Fell made an interesting point at the end of his latest update.  Apparently 80% of people believe that if they caught covid it would be from a stranger.  Of course the reverse is true, as we spend more time with family and friends.  I’ve suspected a lot of people think this from the outset and it is probably one of the reasons covid can spread so quickly. Some people will worry unnecessarily about passing a stranger on a footpath briefly but won’t consider their own close family and friends to pose the same danger.