Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Amazon are making a mint at present, with earnings up 37%,

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/oct/29/amazon-profits-latest-earnings-report-third-quarter-pandemic

and this will clearly continue given the UK lockdown.   While only "essential" shops are open for business, if you want anything else, you can usually get it from Amazon.  With other UK businesses failing and /or shedding workers, Amazon are expanding 

Amazon are expanding and the upside is that they are creating employment amidst the sad unemployment situatation the Pandemic is causing.

15 minutes ago, francypants said:

Apart from the obvious businesses who provide a service rather than a product,  there's nothing to stop smaller businesses selling online. I'm afraid if they don't already do so, it's their own fault by being so far behind.

To a point you're right. But that means they'll still let alot of retail staff go and some smallershops sell stuff that's just not economic to post out.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

To a point you're right. But that means they'll still let alot of retail staff go and some smallershops sell stuff that's just not economic to post out.

I can't understand why the little shops in the high streets have to close, they are easier to control spacing ect, one in one out or if size permitting two in at time keeping the safe distance rule,  plus screens at the counters,  at least they are getting a chance to survive, plus wouldn't it  be one less headace for the Goverment as in Furlow ect.

2 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I can't understand why the little shops in the high streets have to close, they are easier to control spacing ect, one in one out or if size permitting two in at time keeping the safe distance rule,  plus screens at the counters,  at least they are getting a chance to survive, plus wouldn't it  be one less headace for the Goverment as in Furlow ect.

I've wondered that. I know a few shops that are run safely, have relatively low footfall who could stay open in my view. Ditto the likes of Currys. You don't buy what's on display, they bring it out in a box. 

8 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I've wondered that. I know a few shops that are run safely, have relatively low footfall who could stay open in my view. Ditto the likes of Currys. You don't buy what's on display, they bring it out in a box. 

Chip shops, sandwhich shops and little news agents which beats standing in a mile long que outside asda, morrisons if you just want buy a paper.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

the problem comes in defining what a little shop is, if you go down that route there will be shops just over whatever definition you use who will challenge it. 

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

the problem comes in defining what a little shop is, if you go down that route there will be shops just over whatever definition you use who will challenge it. 

By square foot surely? They roll that out when it comes to opening shops at Easter.

The ‘Statement: F— Lockdown ‘ 300+ rave at Kelham Island on Halloween eve where the organiser  said he could get a £10,000 fine but it would be worth it sums up the attitude of a lot of people. In my neighbourhood Pre tier 3  we had police attending a large house party     juxtaposed with an elderly couple wrapped up in coats having a socially distanced garden meeting with family < 6.  It seems fewer people, perhaps fuelled by lockdown opposers/apathy/bloody mindedness/ are subscribing to the all in this together attitudes of the March lockdown  which may result in failure or extension of the current one

The places I feel sorry for are the ones who have spent a small fortune to make them corona safe, and now have to shut down anyway. Hardly seems fair.

8 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

By square foot surely? They roll that out when it comes to opening shops at Easter.

Perhaps, but what happens if a shop is a couple of square foot over the limit, are they really any safer then one a couple of square foot under the limit? 

Is a smaller shop with one door more or less safe then a slightly larger shop with two doors which allows for a proper one-way system. 

There are times when you need a crystal clear message and this is one of them. 

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

The places I feel sorry for are the ones who have spent a small fortune to make them corona safe, and now have to shut down anyway. Hardly seems fair.

The restrictions after will be just the same as the restrictions before, so these places will be ready to open and be able to open more safely than after the first lockdown. 

Once the next lockdown is over then I'd hope regions would move to either tier 2 or 3 restrictions depending on local circumstances and then go down the tiers in a sensible progression rather than everyone move to tier 1 and work upwards. 

8 hours ago, catmiss said:

The ‘Statement: F— Lockdown ‘ 300+ rave at Kelham Island on Halloween eve where the organiser  said he could get a £10,000 fine but it would be worth it sums up the attitude of a lot of people. In my neighbourhood Pre tier 3  we had police attending a large house party     juxtaposed with an elderly couple wrapped up in coats having a socially distanced garden meeting with family < 6.  It seems fewer people, perhaps fuelled by lockdown opposers/apathy/bloody mindedness/ are subscribing to the all in this together attitudes of the March lockdown  which may result in failure or extension of the current one

That might well happen. Australia have had no new cases in the last couple of days but their lockdown has been very strict and gone on for much longer than 4 weeks.