Coronavirus - Part Two.

8 hours ago, Mister M said:

Only last week Johnson was lambasting Starmer at PMQs for suggesting taking such an approach....

Saw that! Johnson is as confused as his restriction rules,  to be fair  even though Ive give him some stick in past I wouldn't want to be in his position,  as we all know he is trying to keep the economy going by way of the reginal lockdowns and a national lockdown will really mess the economy up,  so it is a dammed if you do or  don't situation.  either situation will only slow this virus down but not get rid of it,  we have just got to bare with it till a vaccine comes along, IMO. 

23 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Saw that! Johnson is as confused as his restriction rules,  to be fair  even though Ive give him some stick in past I wouldn't want to be in his position,  as we all know he is trying to keep the economy going by way of the reginal lockdowns and a national lockdown will really mess the economy up,  so it is a dammed if you do or  don't situation.  either situation will only slow this virus down but not get rid of it,  we have just got to bare with it till a vaccine comes along, IMO. 

I wonder how people on this Forum feel about having much stricter laws and enforcement regarding the breaking of Coronavirus rules.

Because although I've got huge criticism of this Government's handling of Coronavirus, ultimately they are reliant on individual citizens obeying some fairly simple rules regarding social distancing, mask wearing, and hygiene measures.

I listen to radio phone ins, and many people do have legitimate criticism of the Government, however if others are not complying with the rules, that makes the need for lockdowns all the more likely,

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

I wonder how people on this Forum feel about having much stricter laws and enforcement regarding the breaking of Coronavirus rules.

Because although I've got huge criticism of this Government's handling of Coronavirus, ultimately they are reliant on individual citizens obeying some fairly simple rules regarding social distancing, mask wearing, and hygiene measures.

I listen to radio phone ins, and many people do have legitimate criticism of the Government, however if others are not complying with the rules, that makes the need for lockdowns all the more likely,

I agree,   If everyone complied with simple common sense rules we would be alot better off. 

1 hour ago, tzijlstra said:

Because that is how this government operates. Tell your cronies first so they can find opportunities to make money, then tell allied press so they stay on your side and only then tell the public you are meant to be serving. 

A full new lockdown is a complete nonsense, anybody who looks up the figures for the tier 3 cities sees that those measures work, just roll that out across the country and at least have the SMEs and self-employed that make up a huge proportion of the UK economy have half a chance of surviving this pandemic. 

Possibly, but I was reading something about this a few months ago. The article I read (I forget where) said something along the lines of big announcements tend to get leaked a few days in advance and the government uses those few days to gauge public reaction. If there is a major outcry then it was never their intention and the leaks were false, otherwise they are following public wishes. Totally smacks of the Cummings playbook.

Edited by whiteowl

29 minutes ago, whiteowl said:

Totally smacks of the Cummings playbook.

Or Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair's spin doctor; although Campbell did it much better.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Or Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair's spin doctor; although Campbell did it much better.

That's a fair comment.

2 hours ago, tzijlstra said:

Because that is how this government operates. Tell your cronies first so they can find opportunities to make money, then tell allied press so they stay on your side and only then tell the public you are meant to be serving. 

A full new lockdown is a complete nonsense, anybody who looks up the figures for the tier 3 cities sees that those measures work, just roll that out across the country and at least have the SMEs and self-employed that make up a huge proportion of the UK economy have half a chance of surviving this pandemic. 

Agreed, and it wouldn't surprise me if that is the outcome next week.

There has to be some definition of how we transition out of tier 3 also. Not just vague statements, and all pulling together.

Edited by Bargepole23

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

I think the police are probably told not to be heavy handed, because they don't want riots to break out. If they arrest someone who resists and it gets ugly, it will find it's way into social media. Surely everyone can see this, especially if someone is of a certain background.

However, I've thought for months that it's too relaxed, and we need to look at what countries who are fairing better are doing.

People saying, ''it's too confusing I don't know what to do'' - is too common.

Here was my plan... (and still is)

1. As soon as you leave your property, you wear a face covering. No ifs no buts. That way it's easy to police. Just drive around and fine people - this needs enforcing

2. Before entering any building, you are temperature checked, and HAVE to clean your hands. It's not difficult to have a station in building entrances. 3 Steps... wear mask / clean hands / temperature gun / (then distancing as well of course)

3. Make use of the army working with the police

4. People coming into the country unless bringing in goods, should all isolate, or be tested (there not point us doing anything if people can come in and bring it in with them)

In a rare watching of the news yesterday (for good reason as I nearly put a brick through the TV), I saw Nottingham.

Tougher action needed.

Get all the CCTV, and police camera footage, fine every one of them. And put that on the front page of newspapers.

The one who knocked off the police woman's hat, should be locked up (assault police officer if we need something to do them for)

That for me, was a huge offence. It shows complete lack of regard for authority and the virus, and the kind of thing that will encourage others.

11 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I think the police are probably told not to be heavy handed, because they don't want riots to break out. If they arrest someone who resists and it gets ugly, it will find it's way into social media. Surely everyone can see this, especially if someone is of a certain background.

However, I've thought for months that it's too relaxed, and we need to look at what countries who are fairing better are doing.

1. As soon as you leave your property, you wear a face covering. No ifs no buts. That way it's easy to police. Just drive around and fine people - this needs enforcing

2. Before entering any building, you are temperature checked, and HAVE to clean your hands. It's not difficult to have a station in building entrances. 3 Steps... wear mask / clean hands / temperature gun / (then distancing as well of course)

4. People coming into the country unless bringing in goods, should all isolate, or be tested (there not point us doing anything if people can come in and bring it in with them)

In a rare watching of the news yesterday (for good reason as I nearly put a brick through the TV), I saw Nottingham.

Tougher action needed.

Get all the CCTV, and police camera footage, fine every one of them. And put that on the front page of newspapers.

The one who knocked off the police woman's hat, should be locked up (assault police officer if we need something to do them for)

That for me, was a huge offence. It shows complete lack of regard for authority and the virus, and the kind of thing that will encourage others.

Fully agree with that.

There is much which can be done rather than having complete lockdowns which should be a critical last resort.

Only time you don't wear a mask should be in your own home and in your own car (when not carrying passengers who are not in your "bubble").

It would be a damned nuisance but far better than destroying jobs and it's not going to be for ever.

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Tougher action needed.

About 20k police short. And short of medical staff to make these nightingale hospitals vaguely useful. Who'd have thought a decade of austerity would have consequences!

50 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Apparently Boris is going to address the nation today at 4pm after second lockdown plan leak.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/breaking-boris-johnson-address-nation-22935822#source=breaking-news

It wasn't a leak. It was a "leak" ie a quite deliberate feed of information to tame media contacts to test the water without having to face questions. 

Now a rare appearance by the PM where he doesn't have to answer questions again.

80 seat majority this lot have got. 

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Tougher action needed.

How do small businesses, already struggling, find the staffing and money to do that?

Not saying I disagree with you, but as always, the devil is in the detail.