Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

It's the media that  is pushing the scaremongering agenda.

I do agree, that is what media does.

If you remember when Tony Blair was our Prime Minister, one reason why he was succesful was his spin doctor and the slippery tongue of Tony Blair.

Boris Johnson does seen to be able to even speak common sense and I assume his spin doctor is happy with the chaos the press are creating.

15 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Had 1 group the other day sat at separate tables but wanted to sit near each other lol then tried saying they weren't together

But with businesses struggling, who would turn them away, I assume you didnt.

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

Talking of which, travelling from a tier 3 area to a tier 2 area - just for a pint - shouldn't happen either.

A married Sheffield couple, both in their early 70's, took a 90+ relative to a Dronfield pub last weekend.

Understand that an contact address was left at the pub, but was it a legitimate one?

I thought so far it’s only “not advised” to travel out of tier 3.  The relative can be in the support bubble of the others if she lives alone.

I agree it shouldn’t happen but not sure if it’s actually illegal.

43 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

I thought so far it’s only “not advised” to travel out of tier 3.  The relative can be in the support bubble of the others if she lives alone.

I'm sure you're right, but wouldn't you have thought they were "old enough to know better"?!

I know this trio - they'll have sat there, moaning that it was too cold/hot, too draughty/stifling, seats too hard/soft, beer not as good as everywhere else, pricey too...and look at her! What does she think she looks like?! And isn't all this ridiculous?! And where's the toilet in here? Do they do food? I don't want any, I'm just curious. They know how to charge, don't they?

😉

58 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I do agree, that is what media does.

If you remember when Tony Blair was our Prime Minister, one reason why he was succesful was his spin doctor and the slippery tongue of Tony Blair.

Boris Johnson does seen to be able to even speak common sense and I assume his spin doctor is happy with the chaos the press are creating.

But with businesses struggling, who would turn them away, I assume you didnt.

Them no, they were already there, normally yes, we have to, like everything, get caught you get closed down

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

The amount of g roups in more than 6s we've had to turn away is astonishing, and not just 7 and 8 people, we're talking 10 and even 12

Some try and hide it by coming in as two groups but give it away by talking to each other.

Had 1 group the other day sat at separate tables but wanted to sit near each other lol then tried saying they weren't together they just happened to bump into each other in Whitby, just happened to be there the same week, walking down the same street and came on the same ship at the same time, hmmmm it's these people that will give us worse restrictions come Christmas

And you're expected to "police" it too!

You're right - there are too many people who think they're exempt from the advice and rules.

As ever, it'll be the minority who bugger it all up for everyone over the so-called festive season.

And probably the same minority who get their faces on TV saying how ludicrous all the regulations are...

58 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Support bubbles often are between different Covid areas, especially at the boundary of counties, as Sheffield is.  This is clearly such a case.

"You must not meet socially with friends and family indoors in any setting unless they are part of your household or support bubble. This includes private homes and indoors in hospitality venues, such as pubs. You must also not meet with people outside of your household or support bubble in a private garden or in most outdoor public venues.

A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit public places together."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-covid-alert-level-very-high#meeting-with-family-and-friends

That is the law on this matter.  There is advice on travel in and out of areas, in the same document:

"we are advising people not to travel into or out of an area if it has been categorised as a very high alert level area. This is part of wider measures to help manage the risk of transmission. You can continue to travel into or out of very high alert level areas if you need to for work, education, to access youth services or because of caring responsibilities."

Being part of a bubble, particularly one person with others in a bubble surely is part of "caring responsibilities".  Even if not, it is advice, not the law.

Elsewhere (can't find it as I type this), there is other advice on 2 single people each in their own household who are in a relationship being treated as one household,

Anyway, this advice is likely to only last a few more days - after that I reckon we'll follow other areas of the UK and other countries and go for a full circuit breaker lockdown.  The only reason I can see Boris has not done it so far is that he thinks Covid is a  northern issue, and he's scared of the backlash in London if he did a National lockdown.

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Support bubbles often are between different Covid areas, especially at the boundary of counties, as Sheffield is.  This is clearly such a case.

"You must not meet socially with friends and family indoors in any setting unless they are part of your household or support bubble. This includes private homes and indoors in hospitality venues, such as pubs. You must also not meet with people outside of your household or support bubble in a private garden or in most outdoor public venues.

A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit public places together."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-covid-alert-level-very-high#meeting-with-family-and-friends

That is the law on this matter.  There is advice on travel in and out of areas, in the same document:

"we are advising people not to travel into or out of an area if it has been categorised as a very high alert level area. This is part of wider measures to help manage the risk of transmission. You can continue to travel into or out of very high alert level areas if you need to for work, education, to access youth services or because of caring responsibilities."

Being part of a bubble, particularly one person with others in a bubble surely is part of "caring responsibilities".  Even if not, it is advice, not the law.

Elsewhere (can't find it as I type this), there is other advice on 2 single people each in their own household who are in a relationship being treated as one household,

Anyway, this advice is likely to only last a few more days - after that I reckon we'll follow other areas of the UK and other countries and go for a full circuit breaker lockdown.  The only reason I can see Boris has not done it so far is that he thinks Covid is a  northern issue, and he's scared of the backlash in London if he did a National lockdown.

I did read today that London has an R rate of 2.8 but I can't verify it.

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

The amount of g roups in more than 6s we've had to turn away is astonishing, and not just 7 and 8 people, we're talking 10 and even 12

Some try and hide it by coming in as two groups but give it away by talking to each other.

Had 1 group the other day sat at separate tables but wanted to sit near each other lol then tried saying they weren't together they just happened to bump into each other in Whitby, just happened to be there the same week, walking down the same street and came on the same ship at the same time, hmmmm it's these people that will give us worse restrictions come Christmas

my friends must be the exception then. 5 of us sat at 3 tables, and we went in the afternoon to avoid crowds.

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Yes its only advised. Nothing illegal whatsoever about travelling out of tier 3. The idea is of course that people are sensible and only do it if they really need to (work, need to visit elderly relative at home if they live alone etc - not so much to take  your elderly relative to the local pub!)

33 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

And you're expected to "police" it too!

You're right - there are too many people who think they're exempt from the advice and rules.

As ever, it'll be the minority who bugger it all up for everyone over the so-called festive season.

And probably the same minority who get their faces on TV saying how ludicrous all the regulations are...

I know people following the rules who say the rules are ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, nightrider said:

my friends must be the exception then. 5 of us sat at 3 tables, and we went in the afternoon to avoid crowds.

Different tiers, Sheffield high up, north Yorkshire is tier 1

41 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I know people following the rules who say the rules are ridiculous.

So do I.

Covid doesn't know or care what their opinion is.

Just had another group of 7 trying to come on, told them I couldn't accept them. Even if they split into 2, as technically they are still 1 group. Just as they were going to leave 2 went out, so that left 5.

They paid separately, so 2 groups, that means there was 3 groups in 1 larger group. Technically depending where they are coming from, they might not be meant to be doing this

4 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Pettytom

It's the media that  is pushing the scaremongering agenda.

Declining antibodies to Cov-19 ! OMG the sky is falling ! We're doomed,dooomed,! Everybody is going to die !

It's not just antibodies that fight infection. The Adaptive arm of the immune system is becoming of significant interest in the campaign

for treatments against Cov- 19 .

There's an almost macabre gleefulness by the media when reporting 

anything that looks like a set back,in the pursuit of  treatments for Cov-19.

Below is the source of the quote I put in thread 2227

I've included a link that is informative about the part played by Memory B cells and the like.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02400-7#ref-CR1

I recall that back in 1986 there was the doom laden imagery of Tombstones and Icebergs-campaign masterminded by Sammy Harari.

I never bought into that scenario and I'm not buying the wares  being peddled by the 21st century equivalent.

So on we go -optimistic  as ever.

So I'm going to shut up for a time.

To the Forum.Stay safe and get you Flu Vax.

Which is why I was pointing out that the research you posted seems to be suggesting that being infected with covid will likely lead to at least a degree of immunity. Previously one of the doom laden bits of scaremongering was the suggestion that infection might yield no immunity due to the absence or low numbers of antibodies.