Coronavirus - Part Two.

13 hours ago, Anna B said:

But will it be a temporary change? These things have ways of staying on the statute book long after their relevance, which then turn round and bite people long after they are appropriate for purpose.

I suggest you look at the Act, especially Section 88.

Or read this: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-act-report-september-2020/two-monthly-report-on-the-status-on-the-non-devolved-provisions-of-the-coronavirus-act-2020-september-2020

Especially this:

Temporary modification of mental health and mental capacity legislation

Not yet in force

Current workforce data suggests we do not have critical gaps, and therefore the powers are not needed in the foreseeable future, and plans are being drawn up to revoke this power, in so far as it applies to England, shortly. Paras 11 to 13 of schedule 8, which change the procedural rules of the Mental Health Review Tribunal for Wales, were commenced on 27 March 2020. These provisions only apply in Wales.

All it takes is a few minutes of research instead of knee jerk reactions to headlines.

Are we nearly there yet ?  Ans, Yes.

Hold on and be safe and we'll get through this.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/10/26/oxford-vaccine-prompts-immune-response-in-old-people-astrazeneca

For the scientifically minded.

Would it not be prudent to administer  a CD 4/CD8 cell test 

to those testing positive (rt.PCR) for Cov-19?

The levels of these cells give a snapshot of the state  of the immune system .

The upshot being a count of less than 500 CD 4s(peripheral  blood count ) coupled with  low CD 8s might mean the person will progress to severe Cov-19

symptoms .

An immune profile better than the above,might indicate that the person testing postive may very well get away with mild/moderate Cov-19 symptoms.

Note: CD 4/CD8 cell counting is not an antibody test.

If I was testing positive for Cov-19. I'd like to know the state of my immune system Humeral and Cell mediated.

For all the professors out there . Is the above "dead in the water",or is it worth a punt ?

If you've got the quids you can get any test you like..

Edited by petemcewan

On 22/10/2020 at 21:11, Baron99 said:

I wonder if any pubs that don't have a kitchen could get away with getting a load of menus online of local takeaways & having them /  Deliveroo supply the food? 

Afterall, the rules say 'serve' food; can't see anywhere it says it has to be cooked on site? 

Well someone has developed a similar idea to what I had. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/sheffield-pub-teams-pizzeria-help-it-stay-open-during-tier-3-lockdown-3014713

On 25/10/2020 at 08:47, avalunche said:

Have you considered that if we continue locking down to protect people like you, it will result in massive unemployment, destroyed economy, no one paying tax to pay your comfie pension?   Its probably already too late to change course.

I know there is a tendency in Sheffield to think benefits and public sector wages magically appear in bank accounts, but no, someone went without part of their earnings to pay them.  The sums didn't add up pro-covid with the government having to borrow billions, and they sure dont now. 

Serious and unexpected change is coming, do not rely on things to continue as they always have done.

I bet some will think that by increasing taxes on far fewer people working, we can somehow continue,  no chance of that at all.   Magic money tree?   Well in that case, pensions will stay the same but a loaf of bread will end up a tenner.  

I think you missed my, perhaps clumsily made, point. I don’t need (or am expecting) anyone to ‘lockdown’ to keep me safe as I can make the decision to self isolate (or not) and have financial and social support to assist me in my decision. Others, including many young people, who have high Covid risk factors but normally live full and productive lives may not have the same advantage. Are these people also acceptable collateral damage? There’s also the long term health implications and costs to individuals, services and society from Covid complications 

12 minutes ago, catmiss said:

I think you missed my, perhaps clumsily made, point. I don’t need (or am expecting) anyone to ‘lockdown’ to keep me safe as I can make the decision to self isolate (or not) and have financial and social support to assist me in my decision. Others, including many young people, who have high Covid risk factors but normally live full and productive lives may not have the same advantage. Are these people also acceptable collateral damage? There’s also the long term health implications and costs to individuals, services and society from Covid complications 

That’s a very dignified response to a rather unpleasant post.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

That’s a very dignified response to a rather unpleasant post.

Thank you. Making things personal only undermines your argument 

23 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Are we nearly there yet ?  Ans, Yes.

Hold on and be safe and we'll get through this.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/10/26/oxford-vaccine-prompts-immune-response-in-old-people-astrazeneca

For the scientifically minded.

Would it not be prudent to administer  a CD 4/CD8 cell test 

to those testing positive (rt.PCR) for Cov-19?

The levels of these cells give a snapshot of the state  of the immune system .

The upshot being a count of less than 500 CD 4s(peripheral  blood count ) coupled with  low CD 8s might mean the person will progress to severe Cov-19

symptoms .

An immune profile better than the above,might indicate that the person testing postive may very well get away with mild/moderate Cov-19 symptoms.

Note: CD 4/CD8 cell counting is not an antibody test.

If I was testing positive for Cov-19. I'd like to know the state of my immune system Humeral and Cell mediated.

For all the professors out there . Is the above "dead in the water",or is it worth a punt ?

If you've got the quids you can get any test you like..

T cell counting that can discriminate between subsets is slow and expensive, relative to PCR. The T cell story is very interesting, though: https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3563

PeteMO1

Thank you for directing me to that Article.

I think we will be hearing a lot more about T Cells and Cell Mediated Immunity in respect of Cov-19 .

Like the article says,"the media pay scant attention to it".

I've included the following because, I think we need some uplifting  news ;after the announcement that antibody immunity doesn't last that long.
"Two months, sometimes three months after the vaccination the synthesis of antibodies is turned off and their level sometimes drops to zero.

"But that does not mean that the human body is no longer protected against this pathogen.

"The memory cells formed in the process whenever they encounter the same pathogen or the same antigen in the form of a vaccine begin to generate the required amount of antibodies not in two or three weeks' time, but literally within 3-4 days.

"For this reason a decline in the level of antibodies after vaccination is an absolutely normal development, so those who have been vaccinated should feel no worries," Gintsburg said. 

Share on LinkedIn

CHRISTIAN FERNSBY ▼ | October 27, 2020

Edited by petemcewan

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

PeteMO1

Thank you for directing me to that Article.

I think we will be hearing a lot more about T Cells and Cell Mediated Immunity in respect of Cov-19 .

Like the article says,"the media pay scant attention to it".

I've included the following because, I think we need some uplifting  news ;after the announcement that antibody immunity doesn't last that long.
"Two months, sometimes three months after the vaccination the synthesis of antibodies is turned off and their level sometimes drops to zero.

"But that does not mean that the human body is no longer protected against this pathogen.

"The memory cells formed in the process whenever they encounter the same pathogen or the same antigen in the form of a vaccine begin to generate the required amount of antibodies not in two or three weeks' time, but literally within 3-4 days.

"For this reason a decline in the level of antibodies after vaccination is an absolutely normal development, so those who have been vaccinated should feel no worries," Gintsburg said. 

Share on LinkedIn

CHRISTIAN FERNSBY ▼ | October 27, 2020

And, presumably, the same will hold true for those who have had covid already- the memory cells formed during the infection will ensure the same robust defence against re-infection?

Nottinghamshire has gone into tier 3 with an strange addition, no alcohol to be sold from shops after 9pm.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54717821

For the life of me, I can't see how that helps?

It would annoy me as I tend to do most of my supermarket shopping later on as there are less crowds (and presumably less chance of infection? 🤷‍♂️)

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

And, presumably, the same will hold true for those who have had covid already- the memory cells formed during the infection will ensure the same robust defence against re-infection?

Onewheeldave

The scientists looking into immunity  have to do more research before that question can be answered with a categorical "Yes".

At the moment reinfection is a rare thing-lets hope it stays that way.

You can  read up about ongoing research.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41590-020-0798-y

Two crucial questions that need answering are:

how do T  cell responses in the peripheral blood reflect events in the respiratory tract. And is T cell  activation antigen specific ?

This line of research along side vaccine development will offer humanity  life saving therapeutics.An I think that is something everybody would like to see.