Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, petemcewan said:

The Pandemic will pass as the vaccines and treatments are rolled out. And the sky will not fall in.And what few civil liberties are temporarily suspended will be restored.

Great post, Pete!

I just wish I could be as optimistic as you on the Civil Liberties front. 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Great post, Pete!

I just wish I could be as optimistic as you on the Civil Liberties front. 

what civil liberties have you lost?

6 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

what liberties have been reduced?  for the vast majority of the population masks is not even an inconvenience. I appreciate that there are those who find it difficult but there are exemptions. 

I personally know of several people [and I'm autistic, classed as socially isolated and so have much less social interaction than average] who are unable to use public transport, despite being mask exempt, due to perceived and/or actual hostility from the public, or who have been denied access to shops, again, despite being mask exempt.

That's just masks, there are many other civil liberty issues, such as the fact that the Coronavirus Act 2020 brought in in March 2020 made changes to the Mental Health Act 1983.

Previously, to section a person, two doctors were required to sign a document, and one of them must be familiar with the patient. The Coronavirus Act altered that so that only one doctor is required to sign the sectioning paper, and there is no requirment for that doctor to know the patient.

Other changes include longer detention periods.

I don't know why I bother posting this stuff, as I can guarantee the response will be apologists rushing in saying 'it'll only be used in emergencies....it's only temporary.... etc, etc.

When it comes to civil libereties it's about what such powers can be used for- in this case, anyone objecting to aspects of the lockdown who is having success at communicating their views to the public, is open to being labelled by an authority as mentally ill and conveniently locked away.

19 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

is it ok for those who lockdown is protecting are less worthy? you seem to be saying they are... 

No, I'm saying that those being damaged by the lockdown are as worthy as those who feel protected by it- every discussion of the protective benefits of the lockdown should therefore refer to those who are/will be damaged by the lockdown, so that the actual pros/cons can be better assessed- currently this is far from the case.

3 hours ago, avalunche said:

Have you considered that if we continue locking down to protect people like you, it will result in massive unemployment, destroyed economy, no one paying tax to pay your comfie pension?   Its probably already too late to change course.

I know there is a tendency in Sheffield to think benefits and public sector wages magically appear in bank accounts, but no, someone went without part of their earnings to pay them.  The sums didn't add up pro-covid with the government having to borrow billions, and they sure dont now. 

Serious and unexpected change is coming, do not rely on things to continue as they always have done.

I bet some will think that by increasing taxes on far fewer people working, we can somehow continue,  no chance of that at all.   Magic money tree?   Well in that case, pensions will stay the same but a loaf of bread will end up a tenner.  

That's an incredibly unfair post. Catmiss has disclosed that aged 66 she has lung condition, and your response implies that her life is less important because of the unemployment and disingenuously feigning concern for her 'comfie pension'.   It wasn't Catmiss who locked down the economy, it's the Government's policy.

This nonsense about "I know there is a tendency in Sheffield to think benefits and public sector wages magically appear in bank accounts, but no, someone went without part of their earnings to pay them." Tell that to the Government who are paying up to £7,000 a day for consultants in the outsourcing sector who have delivered us a failing track and trace system.

I'm sure you're right that serious changes are coming, and no-one in their right minds are expecting things to continue as they always have done. I doubt very much it will be the most well off who'll pay in financial terms for the response to Coronavirus, it will be those with the least broadest shoulders. 

Edited by Mister M

23 minutes ago, Mister M said:

That's an incredibly unfair post. Catmiss has disclosed that aged 66 she has lung condition, and your response implies that her life is less important because of the unemployment and disingenuously feigning concern for her 'comfie pension'.   It wasn't Catmiss who locked down the economy, it's the Government's policy.

This nonsense about "I know there is a tendency in Sheffield to think benefits and public sector wages magically appear in bank accounts, but no, someone went without part of their earnings to pay them." Tell that to the Government who are paying up to £7,000 a day for consultants in the outsourcing sector who have delivered us a failing track and trace system.

I'm sure you're right that serious changes are coming, and no-one in their right minds are expecting things to continue as they always have done. I doubt very much it will be the most well off who'll pay in financial terms for the response to Coronavirus, it will be those with the least broadest shoulders. 

It is neither fair nor unfair.  But a statement of fact.  99.5% of people who get this disease survive.    So what are the lockdowns for exactly? Who are they to protect?  The 0.5% who are old and have serious illnesses.   These are irrefutable facts.  

Meanwhile those with quite treatable conditions, various cancers, heart attacks, are dying because the NHS is closed for business.  Still paying for it of course.

So incredibly happy to read this morning that NHS workers will be first in line to get the barely tested vaccine.  

Edited by avalunche

5 minutes ago, avalunche said:

It is neither fair nor unfair.  But a statement of fact.  99.5% of people who get this disease survive.    So what are the lockdowns for exactly? Who are they to protect?  The 0.5% who are old and have serious illnesses.   These are irrefutable facts.  

Meanwhile those with quite treatable conditions, various cancers, heart attacks, are dying because the NHS is closed for business.  Still paying for it of course.

To stop the NHS being totally overwhelmed by people who need hospitalisation.

Edited by Longcol

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

To stop the NHS being totally overwhelmed by people who need hospitalisation.

Which never happened and nightingale wards were never used.   So what is the excuse this time around?

2 minutes ago, avalunche said:

Which never happened and nightingale wards were never used.   So what is the excuse this time around?

If you paused to think for a second or two, you might just discover that you’ve answered your own question.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

If you paused to think for a second or two, you might just discover that you’ve answered your own question.

No, I don't come up with excuses for parasites.  Enlighten me.

7 minutes ago, avalunche said:

Not enough trained intensive care nurses. You can't conjure them up overnight.

9 minutes ago, avalunche said:

Didn't have the staff for the nightingale hospitals.

4 minutes ago, avalunche said:

No, I don't come up with excuses for parasites.  Enlighten me.

I’m not sure that your reply is relevant to my post.

I was replying to your assertion that the NHS wasn’t overwhelmed last time. I was inviting you to consider that and lockdown in the same context.

Have a think and try to make sense when you reply.