Coronavirus - Part Two.

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Without having the full details I would hazard a guess that the money negotiated comes with very specific purposes and very specific criteria.

It is not supposed to be a top-up for the local authorities purses to do what they wish.

No, all the money for long term projects has been given out by Robert jenrick to constituencies like robert jenricks. 

Which is nice.

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What are we defining as fair?   What is the criteria that's applied? What sort of numbers are we talking about? How did those numbers compare with others?  What formulas?

I'm not blinkered in my views at all. I just reflect the practical realities instead of getting caught up in media hysteria, biased politicians stroking their egos nor make sweeping statements without facts.

How could you possibly declare that 41 million is "a cop-out"  The only people who will know such things will be those subject to negotiation and the person who eventually makes the final decision.   

On the face of it, when looking at the population numbers and applying comparisons with the monetary levels of support given to other regions it seems pretty much in the ball park to me.   I have said before, as have other people on this thread, the money is not intended to be distributed to every single person in the region as a little windfall. It is there for those people and businesses who are in genuine financial distress and need assistance.

People need to read the rules and get a grip. Of course some industries will feel a heavy impact from this whilst others will barely notice. A vast majority of people working white-collar positions will probably be carrying on as normal or at the very worst simply having to work from home. South Yorkshire is not particularly known as a hotbed for tourists and so may in fact feel the impact less than other cities or areas which depend heavily on visitor attractions and hospitality.

It's all the balancing exercise which goes far beyond some moronic simplistic headline grabbing formula of breaking the figure down to a per person amount. 

One thing I will concede has pleasantly surprised me is that our regional mayor has reached his deal and agreement with far more dignity and professionalism than that across the Pennines.  

So OK Boris well take 41 m as Yorkshire people aren't worth it dignity  jarvis should resign 

49 minutes ago, ormester said:

So OK Boris well take 41 m as Yorkshire people aren't worth it dignity  jarvis should resign 

Jarvis has taken the same money per head of population has other areas have done roughly £8 for help with testing and track and trace and a further £20 for dealing with support for business.

Edited by hobinfoot

4 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What are we defining as fair?   What is the criteria that's applied? What sort of numbers are we talking about? How did those numbers compare with others?  What formulas?

I'm not blinkered in my views at all. I just reflect the practical realities instead of getting caught up in media hysteria, biased politicians stroking their egos nor make sweeping statements without facts.

How could you possibly declare that 41 million is "a cop-out"  The only people who will know such things will be those subject to negotiation and the person who eventually makes the final decision.   

On the face of it, when looking at the population numbers and applying comparisons with the monetary levels of support given to other regions it seems pretty much in the ball park to me.   I have said before, as have other people on this thread, the money is not intended to be distributed to every single person in the region as a little windfall. It is there for those people and businesses who are in genuine financial distress and need assistance.

People need to read the rules and get a grip. Of course some industries will feel a heavy impact from this whilst others will barely notice. A vast majority of people working white-collar positions will probably be carrying on as normal or at the very worst simply having to work from home. South Yorkshire is not particularly known as a hotbed for tourists and so may in fact feel the impact less than other cities or areas which depend heavily on visitor attractions and hospitality.

It's all the balancing exercise which goes far beyond some moronic simplistic headline grabbing formula of breaking the figure down to a per person amount. 

One thing I will concede has pleasantly surprised me is that our regional mayor has reached his deal and agreement with far more dignity and professionalism than that across the Pennines.  

No matter how Boris and co calculated it, I can guarantee it won't be enough. 

We have real hardship coming down the line.

39 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No matter how Boris and co calculated it, I can guarantee it won't be enough. 

We have real hardship coming down the line.

........in your uncorroborated opinion.

Personally, I heard it all before.  For some people no matter what figure gets put forward they will scream it never will be enough. Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome.

How many times over decades do we keep hearing the same.......   the NHS is always allegedly destitute and on the brink of collapse, despite vast amounts being thrown at it each year......  Benefits are allegedly always too little for people get by, despite the fact that successive governments have made numerous tweaks and changes to not only the policies for the type of benefits available...The minimum wage is always allegedy too low and people struggling to survive, despite the fact that it is been subject to increases almost every single year since it's Inception....

Now suddenly  the whines are starting that emergency Covid support is "not enough" for people to survive on despite the fact that it didn't even exist until the few weeks ago

Taxpayer money is finite. Some people need to realise that and stop making ridiculous predictions just to do a bit of point scoring against the government.

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Check the rules (if you can...)

You may well be allowed to go, if you're prepared to isolate on your return.

We are allowed. So why would we need to isolate? Just going elsewhere in UK. Might reconsider plans as it’s probably doable, just struggling to weigh it all up.

57 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Personally, I heard it all before.  For some people no matter what figure gets put forward they will scream it never will be enough. Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome.

How many times over decades do we keep hearing the same.......   the NHS is always allegedly destitute and on the brink of collapse, despite vast amounts being thrown at it each year......  Benefits are allegedly always too little for people get by, despite the fact that successive governments have made numerous tweaks and changes to not only the policies for the type of benefits available...The minimum wage is always allegedy too low and people struggling to survive, despite the fact that it is been subject to increases almost every single year since it's Inception....

Now suddenly  the whines are starting that emergency Covid support is "not enough" for people to survive on despite the fact that it didn't even exist until the few weeks ago

Taxpayer money is finite. Some people need to realise that and stop making ridiculous predictions just to do a bit of point scoring against the government.

I don’t think you know what it’s like for people on benefits, I don’t think you know what it’s like for low earners and I’m pretty sure you don’t care either. And that’s fine.

I bet you could lose a third of your income and be totally fine. Thousands can’t. And that will be millions in a month or so. 

Don't presume what you THINK I know and don't know about, you just set yourself up to look foolish. 

I have family members who are dependent on benefits for life and I've had to deal with the social services, support organisations and local government during both my past legal work and personal life.

Also, you cannot seriously believe that I went from comprehensive school to comfortable salary overnight. I have had plenty of periods on low or no income myself in my career. 

None of any of the above changes my perfectly valid point. Public money is not infinite and some people's definitions of "poverty" and "hardship" in this country really needs a reality check

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

And yet there's always enough money for pet projects etc, and £7,000+ per day covid consultants, not to mention another £3,000 pay rise for every MP.....

Comparison of support packages to authorities placed in Tier 3 shows that they're pretty much the same  £ per head of population.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/21/tier-3-covid-lockdowns-how-each-regions-support-package-compares

Greater Manchester             -  £29 pp

South Yorksh ire                       - £29.29 pp

Liverpool / Merseyside         - £28.21 pp

Lancashire                                    - £28 pp

What I'm not clear about is how long this money is supposed to last.

34 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Don't presume what you THINK I know and don't know about, you just set yourself up to look foolish. 

I have family members who are dependent on benefits for life and I've had to deal with the social services, support organisations and local government during both my past legal work and personal life.

Also, you cannot seriously believe that I went from comprehensive school to comfortable salary overnight. I have had plenty of periods on low or no income myself in my career. 

None of any of the above changes my perfectly valid point. Public money is not infinite and some people's definitions of "poverty" and "hardship" in this country really needs a reality check

It is NOT infinate, but its frankly alarming what they are finding money for (without any kind of over sight) and what they're happy to vote against. 

Edited by tinfoilhat

4 Nottingham University students fined £10,000 each & suspended from the university for organising party & lying to police. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54631524

Good but its just a shame that we've had a number of high profile individuals who seem to be able to flout the law & escape punishment? 

As well as the home grown law breakers, saw a tv report last week which showed American rapper, Kanye West, coming out of a hotel in London, a day after landing, when in fact he should have been in isolation.