Coronavirus - Part Two.

'One minute past midnight on Saturday' for Sheffield(South Yorks) to enter Level 3, Very High tier

This can be taken 2 ways. Which one is it?

00:01, 24/10/2020

or

00:01, 25/10/2020

Either way is rubbish as I'm sure we'll have some celebrating in the streets immediately after the deadline.

How about 05:00 25/10/2020.

How long is this lock stock and especially two barrels if caught breaking the rules going to last this time. :huh:

Leicester is still in lockdown after theirs started in June...

Just now, whiteowl said:

Leicester is still in lockdown after theirs started in June...

Well its a minimum of 28 days.

Cases are already falling in Sheffield, so the 28 days does not make sense to me. In 1 week if the trend continues why do we need to stay in Tier3. Clearly Tier2 was doing the trick already.

Going from Tier2 to Tier3 gets us money from the government apparently. 

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why would I need to?

I don't believe for one second that going into tier 3 automatically equals that every single person in a region is going to be out of a job and unable to earn a living.  I don't believe that every single business is suddenly going to be on a knife edge and on the brink of of closing the doors forever.

Rising above all the hysteria and anti-government rhetoric, a simple reading of the rules shows that shops, offices, schools, universities, public services, transport all remain open.

Even in the the obviously more precarious world of hospitality, certain venues, particularly those serving food will still be able to do at least some business. Add on the fact that many people are already or will be able to work from home and carry on with their jobs as normal - it is blindingly obvious that not everybody is going to necessarily be financially impacted.

For those who are genuinely suffering hardship that is what the financial support is there for. They are quite rightly the ones entitled to it - but it's not some windfall for the masses.  Its support for those people and businesses who actually need it. 

Instead of people and certain politicians making meaningless per person comparisons to portray a negative image and manipulate the press why don't they spend some of that time properly assessing how many and for how long .  

Lol I knew you would have blinkered blue views 

41m is a cop out  it should be fair I dont see it as fair 

1 hour ago, ormester said:

Lol I knew you would have blinkered blue views 

41m is a cop out  it should be fair I dont see it as fair 

What are we defining as fair?   What is the criteria that's applied? What sort of numbers are we talking about? How did those numbers compare with others?  What formulas?

I'm not blinkered in my views at all. I just reflect the practical realities instead of getting caught up in media hysteria, biased politicians stroking their egos nor make sweeping statements without facts.

How could you possibly declare that 41 million is "a cop-out"  The only people who will know such things will be those subject to negotiation and the person who eventually makes the final decision.   

On the face of it, when looking at the population numbers and applying comparisons with the monetary levels of support given to other regions it seems pretty much in the ball park to me.   I have said before, as have other people on this thread, the money is not intended to be distributed to every single person in the region as a little windfall. It is there for those people and businesses who are in genuine financial distress and need assistance.

People need to read the rules and get a grip. Of course some industries will feel a heavy impact from this whilst others will barely notice. A vast majority of people working white-collar positions will probably be carrying on as normal or at the very worst simply having to work from home. South Yorkshire is not particularly known as a hotbed for tourists and so may in fact feel the impact less than other cities or areas which depend heavily on visitor attractions and hospitality.

It's all the balancing exercise which goes far beyond some moronic simplistic headline grabbing formula of breaking the figure down to a per person amount. 

One thing I will concede has pleasantly surprised me is that our regional mayor has reached his deal and agreement with far more dignity and professionalism than that across the Pennines.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

34 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

A vast majority of people working white-collar positions will probably be carrying on as normal or at the very worst simply having to work from home. South Yorkshire is not particularly known as a hotbed for tourists and so may in fact feel the impact less than other cities or areas which depend heavily on visitor attractions and hospitality.

Tourism contributes roughly £1.2bn to the economy of Sheffield each year. That’s not a trifling sum by any means. 

We have some extremely well visited tourist attractions in the city.

This divisive semi-lockdown will do nothing to help that. The financial settlement is tiny in comparison to the business lost. 

38 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

One thing I will concede has pleasantly surprised me is that our regional mayor has reached his deal and agreement with far more dignity and professionalism than that across the Pennines.  

I don’t know how you define dignity

In my world, it doesn’t involve rolling over and having your tummy tickled by Boris Johnson and Honest Bob Jenrick.

4 hours ago, Bilge said:

We were planning to go away Fri afternoon, but although that is possibly technically still allowed I think it's against the spirit of the law so we've cancelled it. I doubt we'll be welcome elsewhere if we're from a Tier3 zone.

We're off to Rotherham, Donny or Barnsley for our holidays instead!

Check the rules (if you can...)

You may well be allowed to go, if you're prepared to isolate on your return.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

What are we defining as fair?   What is the criteria that's applied? What sort of numbers are we talking about? How did those numbers compare with others?  What formulas?

I'm not blinkered in my views at all. I just reflect the practical realities instead of getting caught up in media hysteria, biased politicians stroking their egos nor make sweeping statements without facts.

How could you possibly declare that 41 million is "a cop-out"  The only people who will know such things will be those subject to negotiation and the person who eventually makes the final decision.   

On the face of it, when looking at the population numbers and applying comparisons with the monetary levels of support given to other regions it seems pretty much in the ball park to me.   I have said before, as have other people on this thread, the money is not intended to be distributed to every single person in the region as a little windfall. It is there for those people and businesses who are in genuine financial distress and need assistance.

People need to read the rules and get a grip. Of course some industries will feel a heavy impact from this whilst others will barely notice. A vast majority of people working white-collar positions will probably be carrying on as normal or at the very worst simply having to work from home. South Yorkshire is not particularly known as a hotbed for tourists and so may in fact feel the impact less than other cities or areas which depend heavily on visitor attractions and hospitality.

It's all the balancing exercise which goes far beyond some moronic simplistic headline grabbing formula of breaking the figure down to a per person amount. 

I agree

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I suppose dignity is in the eye of the beholder. It's always good to achieve these things without a lot of screaming and shouting but maybe Mr Burnham and his staff have looked at their  area and feel that the amount offered is really too little to support everyone and everything that needs it. in which case his stance is the correct one. 

It may very well be the case that the amount on offer to our region is insufficient. Time will tell in both cases. 

in response to another post.  If it is correct that cases in south yorkshire are falling then hopefully this will be a short spell which  hopefully will drive the virus further out of circulation which can only be a good thing. 

So after initially trying to get us to accept just £20m the Government increased the offer to £30m which brought it in line with other similarly sized population areas... so why all the talk about formulas and fairness if they're going around individual areas trying to get them to accept less money than others?

And now we've accepted it it seems that the Government are refusing to allow the money to be spent in any of the ways that our local governments suggested would be beneficial.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/21/south-yorkshire-agrees-to-go-under-tier-3-covid-restrictions

1 hour ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

So after initially trying to get us to accept just £20m the Government increased the offer to £30m which brought it in line with other similarly sized population areas... so why all the talk about formulas and fairness if they're going around individual areas trying to get them to accept less money than others?

And now we've accepted it it seems that the Government are refusing to allow the money to be spent in any of the ways that our local governments suggested would be beneficial.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/21/south-yorkshire-agrees-to-go-under-tier-3-covid-restrictions 

Without having the full details I would hazard a guess that the money negotiated comes with very specific purposes and very specific criteria.

It is not supposed to be a top-up for the local authorities purses to do what they wish.