Coronavirus - Part Two.

9 hours ago, Pettytom said:

How much do you think they will need?

How long do you think they will need it for?

You seem to have strong opinions on this, or it might just be a knee jerk defence of the government. I’m assuming that you’ve spent a bit of time salivating over your calculator.

My assessment is that minimum wage is a minimum.  And that people deserve to be treated with dignity.

What do you think?

I fully agree with this.

I also think that the minimum wage should be the legal minimum that working people are ever expected to live on when prevented from working through no fault of their own.

Especially when Boris Johnson says he is struggling to manage on his salary.

This government has turned out to be as uncaring as all previous Tory governments and we still have too many "I'm all right Jacks" who are happy enough to see it happening.

I sincerely hope that the rich are the ones who are going to pay all this back rather than the usual victims, the poor.

That's why the better off would sooner see the poor struggle than give them the support they need.

30 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Just confirmed that Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster will be moving into tier 3 from 1 minute past midnight Friday into Saturday.

No confirmation yet on how long for however.

Sheffield covid cases are already falling.

7 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I fully agree with this.

I also think that the minimum wage should be the legal minimum that working people are ever expected to live on when prevented from working through no fault of their own.

Especially when Boris Johnson says he is struggling to manage on his salary.

This government has turned out to be as uncaring as all previous Tory governments and we still have too many "I'm all right Jacks" who are happy enough to see it happening.

I sincerely hope that the rich are the ones who are going to pay all this back rather than the usual victims, the poor.

That's why the better off would sooner see the poor struggle than give them the support they need.

all of the money used to support covid has been electronically printed. No borrowing involved, except from our own magic money tree.

From this article

The South Yorkshire region – which covers Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley – has secured a total of £41m from government in return for shutting pubs and other businesses. The package includes £11m for enhanced test and trace and local enforcement and £30m to support businesses affected by the tier 3 restrictions.

The figure is lower, per head, than the packages agreed by Lancashire and the Liverpool city region, the first two areas to go into tier 3 last week. It works out as £22.77 a head, compared with about £28 a head in the other two regions.

1 minute ago, taxman said:

From this article

The South Yorkshire region – which covers Sheffield, Rotherham, Doncaster and Barnsley – has secured a total of £41m from government in return for shutting pubs and other businesses. The package includes £11m for enhanced test and trace and local enforcement and £30m to support businesses affected by the tier 3 restrictions.

The figure is lower, per head, than the packages agreed by Lancashire and the Liverpool city region, the first two areas to go into tier 3 last week. It works out as £22.77 a head, compared with about £28 a head in the other two regions.

Not that simple though - surely the per head number should not use the population, but the fraction of the population who will need support. This must depend on what types of jobs each area has and could be very different.

2 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Not that simple though - surely the per head number should not use the population, but the fraction of the population who will need support. This must depend on what types of jobs each area has and could be very different.

Exactly.  Its not a cash handout to every person in the county.

Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave Sheffield to go on holiday in the UK if you leave before Saturdays restrictions come into force? If so, are you supposed to then travel home once the restrictions come in on Saturday? All the guidance seems to be for areas already in a restricted area. 

21 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Sheffield covid cases are already falling.

all of the money used to support covid has been electronically printed. No borrowing involved, except from our own magic money tree.

And who, at the treasury,  keeps you so well informed?

Making things up as you go along is obviously a trait of Tory supporters as well as Tory Governments.

Why not electronically print another few billion pounds so that we can look after the poor then?

2 minutes ago, manc80 said:

Does anyone know if you are allowed to leave Sheffield to go on holiday in the UK if you leave before Saturdays restrictions come into force? If so, are you supposed to then travel home once the restrictions come in on Saturday? All the guidance seems to be for areas already in a restricted area. 

We were planning to go away Fri afternoon, but although that is possibly technically still allowed I think it's against the spirit of the law so we've cancelled it. I doubt we'll be welcome elsewhere if we're from a Tier3 zone.

We're off to Rotherham, Donny or Barnsley for our holidays instead!

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And who, at the treasury,  keeps you so well informed?

Making things up as you go along is obviously a trait of Tory supporters as well as Tory Governments.

Why not electronically print another few billion pounds so that we can look after the poor then?

The Tories don't want to, thats why.

9 minutes ago, nightrider said:

The Tories don't want to, thats why.

We gathered that a long time ago.

49 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Do you think they've worked that out?

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Do you think they've worked that out?

I don't think anyones worked that out, based on the abuse I got on twitter from locals for saying this.