Coronavirus - Part Two.

Can someone remind me how much we are paying the private sector for a third rate test and trace system when Public Health England has to make do with an old Excel spreadsheet for its main IT system.......................

Edited by Longcol

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Can someone remind me how much we are paying the private sector for a test and trace system when Public Health England has to make do with an old Excel spreadsheet for its main IT system.......................

£12b. And they can’t account for £8b of it. It sounds very fishy. Perhaps we should get the governments very own anti corruption champion to get right to the heart of it, just to make sure it all checks out.

Perhaps over breakfast?

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

From what I have read that's only because Burnham stubbornly refused the government's top line figure of 60 million. 

Perhaps if he he dropped the ego and realises that Manchester city region is perhaps not so important he thinks it is, the offer will still be on the table to him. It's not as if he is the only region already in tier 3

Does that region really have a mayor looking out in their best interests??  or is it a bit of a power trip by a failed Labour leader candidate desperately trying to push the boundaries of his limited devolved powers and influence.  

I do note said mayor seems be more than happy to put the entire country in a national lockdown but seemingly unwilling to respond to the obvious dramatic increases in infection in his  is own responsible region unless of course he received a nice big fat payment...... hmmm.

Have you  worked out how much 60 million per person is 35 pounds  let's hope Dan jarvis  actually   gets more tier 3  =mass enemployment 

10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

It would appear infection rates in many northern cities are decreasing and and going up in towns and suburbs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-rates-infections-england-cities-towns-manchester-newcastle-b1156024.html

That’s one of the worries.

The other one being that as well as changing geographically, they are also changing by age group. 

So the student surge is beginning to affect older people 

31 minutes ago, ormester said:

Have you  worked out how much 60 million per person is 35 pounds  let's hope Dan jarvis  actually   gets more tier 3  =mass enemployment 

I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with you before.

Welcome aboard comrade 😀

The total cost of what seems like mayhem, is actually less than £2500 each. That’s for everything since the Wuhan bat.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

That’s one of the worries.

The other one being that as well as changing geographically, they are also changing by age group. 

So the student surge is beginning to affect older people 

Not altogether sure this is all down to the "student surge" everywhere.

For example Blackburn, Barnsley and Blackpool are mentioned as places with a large increase- not places you'd associate with students. The latter possibly due to tourism, but the first two?

51 minutes ago, ormester said:

Why would I need to?

I don't believe for one second that going into tier 3 automatically equals that every single person in a region is going to be out of a job and unable to earn a living.  I don't believe that every single business is suddenly going to be on a knife edge and on the brink of of closing the doors forever.

Rising above all the hysteria and anti-government rhetoric, a simple reading of the rules shows that shops, offices, schools, universities, public services, transport all remain open.

Even in the the obviously more precarious world of hospitality, certain venues, particularly those serving food will still be able to do at least some business. Add on the fact that many people are already or will be able to work from home and carry on with their jobs as normal - it is blindingly obvious that not everybody is going to necessarily be financially impacted.

For those who are genuinely suffering hardship that is what the financial support is there for. They are quite rightly the ones entitled to it - but it's not some windfall for the masses.  Its support for those people and businesses who actually need it. 

Instead of people and certain politicians making meaningless per person comparisons to portray a negative image and manipulate the press why don't they spend some of that time properly assessing how many and for how long .  

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Not altogether sure this is all down to the "student surge" everywhere.

For example Blackburn, Barnsley and Blackpool are mentioned as places with a large increase- not places you'd associate with students. The latter possibly due to tourism, but the first two?

Maybe not. But Sheffield, Manchester, Nottingham, Newcastle, Gateshead are all places with high infection rates and increasing rates amongst older people.

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Instead of people and certain politicians making meaningless per person comparisons to portray a negative image and manipulate the press why don't they spend some of that time properly assessing and estimating how many will actually need it and how long they will actually need it for.  

How much do you think they will need?

How long do you think they will need it for?

You seem to have strong opinions on this, or it might just be a knee jerk defence of the government. I’m assuming that you’ve spent a bit of time salivating over your calculator.

My assessment is that minimum wage is a minimum.  And that people deserve to be treated with dignity.

What do you think?

Announcement on South Yorkshire possibly going into Tier 3 later this morning according to Robert Jenrick. 

Looks like I'll be missing out on my annual trip to Whitby for the first time in 11 years.

6 minutes ago, taxman said:

Announcement on South Yorkshire possibly going into Tier 3 later this morning according to Robert Jenrick. 

Looks like I'll be missing out on my annual trip to Whitby for the first time in 11 years.

But it is honest Bob that said it.

So there is a 50% chance that it isn’t true.

Let’s all hope it isnt

Just confirmed that Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster will be moving into tier 3 from 1 minute past midnight Friday into Saturday.

No confirmation yet on how long for however.