Coronavirus - Part Two.

Government information on masks informs us that wearing a mask does not stop you getting the virus ( although it’s best to do so) but if you already have the virus it stops you giving it to other people.

1 hour ago, pattricia said:

Government information on masks informs us that wearing a mask does not stop you getting the virus ( although it’s best to do so) but if you already have the virus it stops you giving it to other people.

Exactly

2 hours ago, redruby said:

I will wear a mask on the basis that it may possibly be a small benefit in certain indoor environments and provide reassurance for some. From a selfish point of view though, I do like the fact that masks have stopped some people skipping out of my way like frightened rabbits in shops. That isn’t because I haven’t socially distanced properly it is just because some people are in a state of high anxiety. The same happens sometimes passing people (most often elderly people) on footpaths who expect me to risk getting run over darting into a busy  road or to throw myself into a hedge when I’m still 200 yards away. I absolutely support social distancing but I do think more information needs to be communicated about it. I have heard many scientists say any possible risk of catching covid passing someone on the street for a couple of seconds is not really possible unless you were to cough or sneeze right in their face.  Which I believe to be true as if covid was infectious enough to spread passing someone for a few seconds outdoors surely it would have spread much, much more quickly. 

Who said anything about a few seconds outdoors? The whole point of mask wearing is indoors. And the ban on households mixing outdoors is because you tend to spend more time together, and closer

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Exactly

Who said anything about a few seconds outdoors? The whole point of mask wearing is indoors. And the ban on households mixing outdoors is because you tend to spend more time together, and closer

I think Ruby is correctly highlighting the tendency of some people to social distance excessively in outdoor situations.

She’s quite right, passing a stranger on the pavement carries almost zero risk, jumping into the road carries a much higher risk.

6 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I think Ruby is correctly highlighting the tendency of some people to social distance excessively in outdoor situations.

She’s quite right, passing a stranger on the pavement carries almost zero risk, jumping into the road carries a much higher risk.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant and I have to admit it bothers me. I do feel sorry for people that are that anxious but at the same I don’t like being made to feel like leper and go to unnecessary lengths of social distancing! 

3 hours ago, redruby said:

Yes, that is exactly what I meant and I have to admit it bothers me. I do feel sorry for people that are that anxious but at the same I don’t like being made to feel like leper and go to unnecessary lengths of social distancing! 

That happened to me, quite early on in lockdown.  I was approaching an old lady coming the other way, moving to step  into the road to go round her, when she veered into my path, then scuttled out into the road and screamed "two metres apart!!" at me!

I was trying to, the daft woman!

23 minutes ago, Becky B said:

That happened to me, quite early on in lockdown.  I was approaching an old lady coming the other way, moving to step  into the road to go round her, when she veered into my path, then scuttled out into the road and screamed "two metres apart!!" at me!

I was trying to, the daft woman!

It has happened to me many times 🙄 I had an oldish couple stop and turn to face a hedge in a gennel when I went past (it was not even a narrow gennel), an old lady on a river footpath in Derbyshire informed us that we were to pass ‘back to back’ and a woman with a pram stormed in a huff into the road because we didn’t do so before we were anywhere near close!! I understand some people find seeing people in masks distressing but I get far more bothered by this especially as it is so unnecessary.  

6 minutes ago, redruby said:

It has happened to me many times 🙄 I had an oldish couple stop and turn to face a hedge in a gennel when I went past (it was not even a narrow gennel), an old lady on a river footpath in Derbyshire informed us that we were to pass ‘back to back’ and a woman with a pram stormed in a huff into the road because we didn’t do so before we were anywhere near close!! I understand some people find seeing people in masks distressing but I get far more bothered by this especially as it is so unnecessary.  

I think that people are getting better at it though. I’m out walking for a couple of hours everyday and recently, quite a few people have walked past me on the pavement, without muttering. Maybe it’s my new deodorant 

2 hours ago, redruby said:

It's happened to me too. Doesn't it make you feel awful? But they would probably argue that they/you are keeping safe, just like the mask wearers do. However it's all part of the damage this blasted pandemic is doing, it's not just about the deaths, sad as they are, if it goes on indefinitely will we ever be able to get back to normal? Trust, once lost, is harder to regain.

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's happened to me too. Doesn't it make you feel awful? But they would probably argue that they/you are keeping safe, just like the mask wearers do. However it's all part of the damage this blasted pandemic is doing, it's not just about the deaths, sad as they are, if it goes on indefinitely will we ever be able to get back to normal? Trust, once lost, is harder to regain.

Except for the obvious fact that mask wearers are keeping you safe. Footpath dodgers are simply being over-cautious and probably need the same level of education that the anti-maskers need, but in a different direction.

On 13/10/2020 at 12:54, avalunche said:

Correct.  Also what was quite predictable, was that the students would end up paying eye watering fees and accommodation costs just to end up doing online learning!  

Though I do not agree that young people should sacrifice their life and future to keep those who have already lived their lives alive for a few months longer.  I find it quite obscene frankly.  I read this quote elsewhere

"Never have so many sacrificed so much for so few"

Some of the old ones you would happily sacrifice are the reason you are living in a free country.  Have some respect.

On 13/10/2020 at 16:12, Anna B said:

Just a quick comment re: 'avoidable deaths' and 'overwhelmingly kills those who are well past average life span and with comorbidities.' 

My sprightly 95 year old relative, who still lives happily at home alone, was recently an emergency admission to Hospital at the height of the pandemic, where he was operated on for a twisted bowel. We were not allowed to visit, but insisted he come out as soon as possible and broke our own lockdown (we're in our 70s) to care for him, as otherwise he would have been admitted to a care home to recuperate.

He came bouncing back to health, and after a fortnight was much better, and is now as good as he ever was. 

If he had been resident in a care home he would probably never have been admitted to hospital in the first place, and if he had been sent to a care home to recuperate the chances are he would never have left  it. 

I just wanted to point out that the death toll in the old is not necessarily the inevitability that you seem to think and am concerned that the elderly are generally being written off without a thought.  

Well said.  I'm disgusted at the attitude some people have towards our elderly.  I bet Tom Moore's done more for the NHS in a couple of weeks of his hundredth year than the overwhelming majority of those willing to sacrifice him and his contemporaries will do in their lifetime.

Can I also congratulate you and your partner (?) on being fit enough in your 70s to look after your 95 year old relative.  I know it's not easy.  That's a heartwarming story and I'm sure he feels extremely fortunate that he has such caring relatives.  I hope you still all make many memories together, despite this ruddy virus.  Thank heavens for caring, loving families like yours.

Edited by Lex Luthor

Can anyone tell me if the new rules mean I can still go into my relatives house who is in my bubble ? 

Edited by pattricia

9 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I think that people are getting better at it though. I’m out walking for a couple of hours everyday and recently, quite a few people have walked past me on the pavement, without muttering. Maybe it’s my new deodorant 

I think it WAS getting better but I’ve noticed it starting up again😕