Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

No you can't.  A person wearing a face covering poses no threat to you.  Therefore, your finding it disturbing is irrational.

You have linked it to the beginning of totalitarianism.  That is paranoia.

You are wrong. 

But, as I said, even if we assumed you be right, it still scuppers the 'wearing a mask soley to ressure others' approach as the stress and  ensuing harm to mental health is just as real, isn't it?

Edited by onewheeldave

Just now, onewheeldave said:

You are wrong. 

But, as I said, even if we assumed you be right, it still scuppers the 'wearing a mask soley to ressure others' approach as the stress and  ensuing harm to mental health is just as real, isn't it?

The mental health of the paranoid few does not trump the physical health of the majority.

1 minute ago, Arnold_Lane said:

The mental health of the paranoid few does not trump the physical health of the majority.

You've no evidence that it is 'only a few'.

Just now, onewheeldave said:

You've no evidence that it is 'only a few'.

Most people don't suffer from PPD unless you can prove otherwise?

1 minute ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Most people don't suffer from PPD unless you can prove otherwise?

You've misunderstood, I'm not talking about PPD, but about those who find masking distressing. I won't be going along with your incorrect and offensive implication that anyone distressed by masking is mentally ill.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

You've misunderstood, I'm not talking about PPD, but about those who find masking distressing. I won't be going along with your incorrect and offensive implication that anyone distressed by masking is mentally ill.

If you don't have a mental illness or a development disorder why would you find masking distressing?

Because it's the beginning of totalitarianism?  

Here's a telling figure just mentioned by the BBC.  Exactly a month ago, there were 91 people so I'll they were placed on ventilators.  That figure has now risen to 516.

4 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

How do they get on with Burkas and motorbike helmets? Even hoodies if pulled tight? Genuine question.

49 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

How do they get on with Burkas and motorbike helmets? Even hoodies if pulled tight? Genuine question.

You'd need to compare like with like. How would you cope if 90+% of the people you encounter from now on were wearing a burka/motorcycle helmet?  

How would you feel living in a society where it had been decreed by the government that anyone not wearing a motorcycle helmet/burka would be fined?

I'm guessing you'd quickly get used to it, just as you have with masking, be happy to go along with the governments justification for why everyone now has to wear a motorcycle helmet/burka, but a little thought should tell you that for those who don't go along with the governments reasons, or, those who are vulnerable in certain way, will find a world where everyone has to wear a motorcycle helmet/burka to be quite threatening.

22 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

No one is saying otherwise- simply pointing out that many of the public wearing masks are not following that information, and incorrect use of masks can be harmful to health.

I was merely pointing out, as several people had mentioned people not using masks correctly, that there has been information out there to show how they should be used correctly.

Maybe it needs to be more widely distributed, with TV adverts and/or billboards?

1 hour ago, Becky B said:

I was merely pointing out, as several people had mentioned people not using masks correctly, that there has been information out there to show how they should be used correctly.

Maybe it needs to be more widely distributed, with TV adverts and/or billboards?

I suspect part of it is that a lot of people who are wearing masks do not believe they work [as seen from several posts on this thread] and are wearing them soley because they are being forced to. They know full well that they shouldn't be stuffing them in pockets and that they should be using new ones, but, they don't care, they'll just do the minimum necessary to  get in a shop without hassle or rising a fine.

Amongst the pro maskers here there seems to be a naive assumption that anyone wearing a mask actually believes they work- that's not true, for some, they are being forced to do something they would not, left to their own choice, do.

9 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

But you can't extrapolate from your mum being reassured to everyone, or even, the majority, being ressured. Seeing masked people does not ressure me, it harms me- I am far from the only one.

But yet you manage to visit multiple shops a day?

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/157/?tab=comments#comment-8372026