Coronavirus - Part Two.

7 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I find it sad that a large number who are wearing masks do not believe they work, and are doing so either becasue they are forced to, or because they well meaningly but wrongly assume that it 'reassures others'.

I find it more sad and disturbing that a number of people pretend that they are worried that government measures are causing an increase in cancer deaths, suicides etc. when the reality is they probably don't care at all; they just don't want to wear a mask.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

5 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Yes you are- and making out that you have a better understanding of my mental health than I do is supremely arrogant.

People refusing to wear masks affects the mental health of others. Maybe you should examine your own arrogance.

Edited by Pettytom

1 minute ago, nikki-red said:

Why do you think they ‘wrongly assume’?

My Mum would be the first one to say she feels massively reassured and much more confident being out and about if everyone is wearing masks.

But you can't extrapolate from your mum being reassured to everyone, or even, the majority, being ressured. Seeing masked people does not ressure me, it harms me- I am far from the only one.

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

People refusing to wear masks affects the mental health of others. Maybe you should examine your own arrogance.

And people wearing maks affects the mental health of others [adversely]

Just now, onewheeldave said:

But you can't extrapolate from your mum being reassured to everyone, or even, the majority, being ressured. Seeing masked people does not ressure me, it harms me- I am far from the only one.

Yes, but that's irrational and caused by paranoia.

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Unmasking society and removing social distancing rules would lead to the total isolation of about two million vulnerable people, who would all have to isolate themselves from society.

I actually do understand your problems, probably better than you think I do. However, on balance, being upset at the sight of people wearing masks is a much lower priority than allowing  millions of people to go about their daily lives reasonably normally.

I think we will all be glad when this is over. Until then, we all need to look after each other. You don’t seem to be up for that.

Edited by Pettytom

Just now, onewheeldave said:

Doesn’t that work both ways tho? I’m sure my Mums far from being the only one too.

You not being reassured isn’t more important than my Mum being the opposite.

And you being sure you’re not the only one not reassured doesn’t mean everyone, or even the majority either.

3 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

And people wearing maks affects the mental health of others .

But at least you don't get wet.

12 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Tell your doctor- there may well be a medical reason, in which case you could be exempt.

Dave there is no need to consult a doctor or get any approval to become exempt.  Simply deciding you are  exempt is sufficient.

Here is the link to the goverments website.   There's even a nice card you can download and print off / show on your phone.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

Exemption cards

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law.

Access exemption card templates

You can argue all you like about face coverings / masks; which tiers certain parts of the country should be in; should we be in a 'circuit breaker' lockdown or one that lasts months but while ever we have a stupid minority blatantly ignoring simple advice to socially distance, we'll never get a grip on this until we have a vaccine that works. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/warning-after-drinks-pelted-police-19100155

You'd have thought those moaning in Liverpool would have more sense? 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

Yes, but that's irrational and caused by paranoia.

Well it's not as I can back it up with reason.

But, just supposing it was "irrational and caused by paranoia", it still scuppers the 'wearing a mask soley to ressure others' approach as the stress and  ensuing harm to mental health is just as real

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

I think we will all be glad when this is over. Until then, we all need to look after each other. You don’t seem to be up for that.

No. It's just that the subset of people I'm looking out for is a different subset to the ones you are looking out for.

1 hour ago, avalunche said:

Dave there is no need to consult a doctor or get any approval to become exempt.  Simply deciding you are  exempt is sufficient.

Here is the link to the goverments website.   There's even a nice card you can download and print off / show on your phone.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

Exemption cards

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law.

Access exemption card templates

i know- I've directed several autistic and/or vulnerable people to that route- I assumed Anna would not be comfortable not masking unless assured she was exempt by a doctor.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

I actually do understand your problems, probably better than you think I do. However, on balance, being upset at the sight of people wearing masks is a much lower priority than allowing  millions of people to go about their daily lives reasonably normally.

Interesting. What do you think my problems are? Why do you think you understand them better than I think you do?

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

we'll never get a grip on this until we have a vaccine that works. 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/warning-after-drinks-pelted-police-19100155

You'd have thought those moaning in Liverpool would have more sense? 

No chance.   These are the same ilk who gathered in huge crowds during lockdown to celebrate Liverpool's win.  They cheered when rockets were fired at the Liver building and caused damage.    But they'll be crying they're victims.

28 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Well it's not as I can back it up with reason.

But, just supposing it was "irrational and caused by paranoia", it still scuppers the 'wearing a mask soley to ressure others' approach as the stress and  ensuing harm to mental health is just as real

No you can't.  A person wearing a face covering poses no threat to you.  Therefore, your finding it disturbing is irrational.

You have linked it to the beginning of totalitarianism.  That is paranoia.