Coronavirus - Part Two.

10 hours ago, melthebell said:

Those that cant..fine, those that wont........are selfish knobs, case closed

Selfish in what way? 

To be honest I don't want to get in to a pro/con re the mask situation but something you have to understand is the wealth of information to support both arguments. Just because you think you are right, doesn't mean you are and that goes for both sides. What we now really need to be doing is assessing our personal risks. 

This is now becoming a big issue, there is a huge division between the public over our personal beliefs on something we know very very little about and even more annoying is both sides will swear we need to "come together and help each other" when all we do is bicker, argue or belittle each other for not holding the same opinions. 

10 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Why do you campaign so much for people to not wear masks?

Anna is ok about wearing one, but wants help to make it comfortable. So why encourage her to not wear one?

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Can’t wait to get somebody out of a mask can you!

I'm not encouraging her not to wear one, simply suggesting she establish if she is medically exempt. Personally, I would like to see a lot less people with masks on- it upsets a lot of us, and that itself causes harm.

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Thankyou all for your ideas.

I can manage to wear a mask for the short time I am in shops, but I'm doubtful it does much good other than to reassure other people. It's not a lot to ask is it? (There again there's also the argument that some people find it scarey - a constant reminder of the troubled times we're living in... and there's no doubt our confidence and freedoms are being eroded.) 

I wouldn't trouble the doctor, they probably have more pressing things to do at the moment, and anyway, have you tried getting an appointment these days? I worry for the people who have serious medical problems.  

However anyone who has to wear one for work all day every day has my sympathy.

I'm glad that some on this thread recognise how disturbing masks are to some of us.  

4 hours ago, redruby said:

My guess is that it’s nasal irritation caused by fibres or maybe dust on the mask. Or possibly even just the slight pressure on the nose.  I think the smooth stretchy fabric ones might cause least irritation but I agree that they probably don’t actually do much other than reassure others.

The suggestions of making an appointment with a doctor about something like mild nasal irritation from wearing a mask go some way to explaining why it’s difficult to get a GP appointment (and was even pre Covid)

Interesting to note that Anna and Redruby don't think the masks they wear do much in terms of stopping the virus spread, and, wear them mainly to reassure others- this is actually quite common.

Let me inform everyone who wears masks mainly to reassure others, as Anna has already mentioned, there are many of us out there who, far from finding it reasurring, actually find the sight of masked public to be highly disturbing- maybe there could be more consideration of those people? 

I'd suggest you wear a mask if you believe they work, and be wary of wearing them to 'reassure others', as those others may well wish you were doing the exact opposite.

Of course, another big reason people are wearing masks, despite not believing they work, is because they are forced to. 

I wonder if, amongst mask wearers, the numbers wearing them purely because of being forced to/to 'reasure others' might outnumber those wearing them because they think they work?

8 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I wonder if, amongst mask wearers, the numbers wearing them purely because of being forced to/to 'reasure others' might outnumber those wearing them because they think they work?

I wear mine to protect your health and the health of other people. They do work, there’s plenty of evidence out there if you choose to read it.

I find it quite sad that there is a small minority of people who won’t wear masks and consequently put others at risk. It really isn’t much to ask, yet quite a few anti-social people find reasons to refuse to contribute to the collective good.

3 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I wear mine to protect your health.....

You are not protecting my health, you are harming it.

15 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

there are many of us out there who, far from finding it reasurring, actually find the sight of masked public to be highly disturbing- maybe there could be more consideration of those people? 

Nah, those people just need to grow up.

How do you feel about women who choose to wear a veil?  Do they disturb you too?

Edited by Arnold_Lane

4 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I find it quite sad that there is a small minority of people who won’t wear masks and consequently put others at risk. It really isn’t much to ask, yet quite a few anti-social people find reasons to refuse to contribute to the collective good.

I find it sad that a large number who are wearing masks do not believe they work, and are doing so either becasue they are forced to, or because they well meaningly but wrongly assume that it 'reassures others'.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

You are not protecting my health, you are harming it.

I’m really not harming your health.

If you come near me unmasked, you risk harming mine though. Please don’t.

1 minute ago, Arnold_Lane said:

How do you feel about women who choose to wear a veil?  Do they disturb you too?

It would if I saw hundreds of them a day and they were being forced to wear them.

Just now, Pettytom said:

I’m really not harming your health.

Yes you are- and making out that you have a better understanding of my mental health than I do is supremely arrogant.

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

I find it sad that a large number who are wearing masks do not believe they work, and are doing so either becasue they are forced to, or because they well meaningly but wrongly assume that it 'reassures others'.

You don’t know that. You’ve just made it up.

Just now, Pettytom said:

You don’t know that. You’ve just made it up.

You don't know the opposite- you've just made it up.

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Why do you think they ‘wrongly assume’?

My Mum would be the first one to say she feels massively reassured and much more confident being out and about if everyone is wearing masks.

7 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I find it more sad and disturbing that a number of people pretend that they are worried that government measures are causing an increase in cancer deaths, suicides etc. when the reality is they probably don't care at all; they just don't want to wear a mask.

Edited by Arnold_Lane