Coronavirus - Part Two.

My masks (and I have several different types, ) for some inexplicable reason, invariably make my nose run. Very annoying, and I have to remove my mask to wipe my nose. Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

My masks (and I have several different types, ) for some inexplicable reason, invariably make my nose run. Very annoying, and I have to remove my mask to wipe my nose. Any ideas?

Youch - that must be a so and so - consult your GP rather than SF for that one.

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I put one on this evening to go to an event. There was a tiny bit of tissue paper inside it, which I inhaled. That resulted in a rather embarrassing coughing fit, and a delayed entrance.

As for a constructive idea to help your runny nose, have you tried taking antihistamine?

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No, but I’m the opposite. 
We have to wear masks for our entire shift, I have a slightly blocked up nose all week, that clears over the weekend then comes back on a Monday.

18 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Tell your doctor- there may well be a medical reason, in which case you could be exempt.

30 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Tell your doctor- there may well be a medical reason, in which case you could be exempt.

Why do you campaign so much for people to not wear masks?

Anna is ok about wearing one, but wants help to make it comfortable. So why encourage her to not wear one?

33 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Can’t wait to get somebody out of a mask can you!

53 minutes ago, Anna B said:

If they’re washable it could be the detergent?

Man suffers worst symptoms after catching COVID-19 for a second time. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54512034

Note that he is an apparently healthy 25 yr old with no underlying health or immune issues, other than he's been previously infected by COVID-19. 

Potentially not good news for anyone who is much older & finds themselves In a similar situation? 

22 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Man suffers worst symptoms after catching COVID-19 for a second time. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54512034

Note that he is an apparently healthy 25 yr old with no underlying health or immune issues, other than he's been previously infected by COVID-19. 

Potentially not good news for anyone who is much older & finds themselves In a similar situation? 

People catch viruses twice on a regular basis. If thousands of people were catching it twice, we might need to worry.  Just the odd outlying case is nothing to get excited about, unless you have a paper to sell.

Thankyou all for your ideas.

I can manage to wear a mask for the short time I am in shops, but I'm doubtful it does much good other than to reassure other people. It's not a lot to ask is it? (There again there's also the argument that some people find it scarey - a constant reminder of the troubled times we're living in... and there's no doubt our confidence and freedoms are being eroded.) 

I wouldn't trouble the doctor, they probably have more pressing things to do at the moment, and anyway, have you tried getting an appointment these days? I worry for the people who have serious medical problems.  

However anyone who has to wear one for work all day every day has my sympathy.

6 hours ago, Dardandec said:

You do realise the majority of infections occur in private dwellings right? I've never heard of someone catching it in their local supermarket where social distancing and face covering (should) take place. As far as I'm aware, wearing a face covering at home, or someone else's home is not compulsory, so your "very modest if there is indeed any benefit at all" regarding face coverings is a little flawed if you don't mind me saying so.   

Infections started to rise significantly in September when kids returned to school, more people returned to their workplace and students returned to universities. Face coverings had already been compulsory in shops and public transport for many weeks.

My belief is that much more emphasis needs to be placed on ventilating indoor spaces as much as possible and spending as little time as possible in indoor spaces with those outside our household e.g. airing classrooms at regular intervals and leaving doors and windows open as much possible.

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

Thankyou all for your ideas.

I can manage to wear a mask for the short time I am in shops, but I'm doubtful it does much good other than to reassure other people. It's not a lot to ask is it? (There again there's also the argument that some people find it scarey - a constant reminder of the troubled times we're living in... and there's no doubt our confidence and freedoms are being eroded.) 

I wouldn't trouble the doctor, they probably have more pressing things to do at the moment, and anyway, have you tried getting an appointment these days? I worry for the people who have serious medical problems.  

However anyone who has to wear one for work all day every day has my sympathy.

My guess is that it’s nasal irritation caused by fibres or maybe dust on the mask. Or possibly even just the slight pressure on the nose.  I think the smooth stretchy fabric ones might cause least irritation but I agree that they probably don’t actually do much other than reassure others.

The suggestions of making an appointment with a doctor about something like mild nasal irritation from wearing a mask go some way to explaining why it’s difficult to get a GP appointment (and was even pre Covid)