Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

There isn't anything that says you have to remove your masks between shops and many people don't. 

And many do.....

If you want to remove it it's easy to to using the band that goes round your tabs and wear it on your wrist.

Or, as many do, stuff it in their pocket...

And how many people's main weekly shop is a visit to a supermarket so they only need a mask a week?

I don't know, neither do you. How many visit multiple shops per day? [I certainly do]

Edited by onewheeldave

4 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

And many do.....

Or, as many do, stuff it in their pocket...

I don't know, neither do you. How many visit multiple shops per day? [I certainly do]

The less of the virus there is circulating then the better it is for all of us. Masks can help prevent the virus circulating.

1 minute ago, Longcol said:

The less of the virus there is circulating then the better it is for all of us. Masks can help prevent the virus circulating.

only if they are used correctly. Used incorrectly, they not only become useless, but can harm the user.

Just now, onewheeldave said:

only if they are used correctly. Used incorrectly, they not only become useless, but can harm the user.

So people need to learn to use them correctly to avoid harming themselves and become like the thousands who use them correctly and are potentially preventing harming others - which is the main point of wearing a mask.

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

So people need to learn to use them correctly to avoid harming themselves and become like the thousands who use them correctly and are potentially preventing harming others - which is the main point of wearing a mask.

Realistically though that won’t happen. And I am unconvinced by the ‘protecting others’ argument. A person is not ‘protecting others’ if they infect themselves using a mask incorrectly and then pass the virus on.    We are now in a situation where COVID is increasing exponentially even with mask use in place. Masks have been used as a tool to help release lockdown and clearly given the current situation it would appear their benefit is very modest if there is indeed any benefit at all.

It does seem that we've got to the stage where we need to run some ads, across a number of tv channels just to catch all ages, on exactly how to wear a face covering / face mask? 

My wife, (early 60's), regularly uses public transport. 

Rushing for a bus, she had her face mask in her bag, & jumps on board without it.  Rightly, she said, the driver challenged her, asking if she was exempt?  Said no, & puts her mask on. 

A few days later, she's on another bus.  A young woman, only person at a bus stop on London Rd, late teens / early 20's gets on.  Black face mask literally hanging by the strap from one ear.  Buys ticket from driver but this driver says nothing?  When she comes back down the stairs to get off, the face mask is still hanging? 

My wife asked the driver why he'd said nothing?  The response was, "Didn't notice."  Hmmm? 

4 minutes ago, redruby said:

Realistically though that won’t happen. And I am unconvinced by the ‘protecting others’ argument. A person is not ‘protecting others’ if they infect themselves using a mask incorrectly and then pass the virus on.    We are now in a situation where COVID is increasing exponentially even with mask use in place. Masks have been used as a tool to help release lockdown and clearly given the current situation it would appear their benefit is very modest if there is indeed any benefit at all.

It depends where contamination is taking place - and it would appear to be largely in situations where masks aren't worn and social distancing isn't happening.

How do you infect yourself by using a mask incorrectly btw - and is the probability of self infection using a mask incorrectly greater than not wearing a mask?

9 minutes ago, redruby said:

Masks have been used as a tool to help release lockdown and clearly given the current situation it would appear their benefit is very modest if there is indeed any benefit at all.

You do realise the majority of infections occur in private dwellings right? I've never heard of someone catching it in their local supermarket where social distancing and face covering (should) take place. As far as I'm aware, wearing a face covering at home, or someone else's home is not compulsory, so your "very modest if there is indeed any benefit at all" regarding face coverings is a little flawed if you don't mind me saying so.   

10 minutes ago, Longcol said:

It depends where contamination is taking place - and it would appear to be largely in situations where masks aren't worn and social distancing isn't happening.

How do you infect yourself by using a mask incorrectly btw - and is the probability of self infection using a mask incorrectly greater than not wearing a mask?

The theory is that even with a face covering / face mask on, you still unsubconsciously continue to touch your face or purposely adjust the face covering / face mask, having touched other surfaces which someone with COVID-19 has already touched?   You also might inadvertently infect yourself if you're not careful how you remove you face covering / mask. 

That's why it's not just the face covering that's important but also the hand washing. 

Edited by Baron99

14 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

You do realise the majority of infections occur in private dwellings right? I've never heard of someone catching it in their local supermarket where social distancing and face covering (should) take place. As far as I'm aware, wearing a face covering at home, or someone else's home is not compulsory, so your "very modest if there is indeed any benefit at all" regarding face coverings is a little flawed if you don't mind me saying so.   

My bold. 

You'd be hard pushed to pinpoint the exact place where you're likely to catch COVID-19?  You might get away with saying I caught it in Sheffield. 

There's no proof you CAN'T catch it in a supermarket?  You're still mixing with a variety of people, some who aren't wearing face coverings, might be asymptomatic, picking up & putting down produce, which you then pick up? 

Edited by Baron99

10 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The theory is that even with a face covering / face mask on, you still unsubconsciously continue to touch your face or purposely adjust the face covering / face mask, having touched other surfaces which someone with COVID-19 has already touched?   You also might inadvertently infect yourself if you're not careful how you remove you face covering / mask. 

That's why it's not just the face covering that's important but also the hand washing. 

It is a bogus argument though. If you have poor hand hygiene then you must be as likely to infect yourself without a mask as with one.

For those of us who do keep our hands clean, the risk must be minimal. 

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

You'd be hard pushed to pinpoint the exact place where you're likely to catch COVID-19?  You might get away with saying I caught it in Sheffield. 

There's no proof you CAN'T catch it in a supermarket?

Correct, and I never said you couldn't, the point I was making is you are more likely to catch it round your mates house with no face covering or social distancing.