Coronavirus - Part Two.

Boris wont do the national lock because of the economy fair enough he also wont let the population go back to normal and let the virus take its own course, but by letting the spread rise in each area before put in the high risk bracket, surely in time when every area all over the country has gone through this he as in fact let the virus takes its own course. :huh:

Edited by PRESLEY

52 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Immunity I hear you ask, maybe not?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54512034

From your linked article-

"

So far, reinfection seems to be rare - there have been only a few examples out of more than 37 million confirmed cases.

Reports in Hong Kong, Belgium and the Netherlands said they were no more serious than the first. One in Ecuador mirrored the US case in being more severe, but did not need hospital treatment."

"Given the fact that to date over 37 million people have had the infection, we would have expected to have heard of many more incidents if such very early reinfections with severe illness were common."

13 hours ago, Jim117 said:

How hard can this be? Is wearing a mask so difficult? Wearing a mask is an irritable inconvenience but I can easily cope with it and I’m a quite heavy smoker. I don’t believe for one minute that there is any medical reason to not wear one other than mental issues like maybe autism. Round our way the most common group of people I see flouting the rules in shops are middle aged men (my age group) who presumably think they are too “hard” to be challenged on their behaviour or indeed to actually catch Covid. Regarding all the bull being spoken about sheep, hoaxes, government control, etc, I have in the past participated in civil disobedience when I have thought it necessary but at the moment I will quite happily wear a mask if I think it will even slightly help me, my family or my fellow citizens. Just to finish, my nephew and his family have got Covid, my elderly parents neighbours have got Covid and my sister in law’s neighbours have got Covid. In the last example the wife has been told to say her goodbyes to her husband although she can’t go to hospital to do it in person because she has Covid.

Or perhaps they simply feel that wearing them is pointless and uncomfortable for a disease that 99.5% of people survive, and that the government stupid edicts should be resisted not complied with?  The same government who told is in March that masks don't work, months later to mandate them for shoppers but not shop staff,  to then later say shop staff must also wear them.   The same government that paid people to go out and have a meal on them to "help out",  and then told people off for going out and spreading the disease.

If you were to ask any medical professionals who routinely use face masks, they would tell you they are used and then instantly dis-guarded.    The way we use them, repeatedly, touching them all the time, adjusting, makes them utterly worthless.  Its pure theatre that we are wearing them.  Others who know more about diseases and our immune system tell us that what we are doing is actually weakening our immune system!

When I think of this government I think bring them to justice for what they have done and the lives ruined and lost.

Edited by avalunche

6 minutes ago, avalunche said:

Or perhaps they simply feel that wearing them is pointless and uncomfortable for a disease that 99.5% of people survive, and that the government stupid edicts should be resisted not complied with?  The same government who told is in March that masks don't work, months later to mandate them for shoppers but not shop staff,  to then later say shop staff must also wear them.   The same government that paid people to go out and have a meal on them to "help out",  and then told people off for going out and spreading the disease.

If you were to ask any medical professionals who routinely use face masks, they would tell you they are used and then instantly dis-guarded.    The way we use them, repeatedly, touching them all the time, adjusting, makes them utterly worthless. 

User error. Its not that masks don't work.

Its a major failure that there was no education campaign explaining how to safely use them. Also perhaps a major failure of our education system that so many did not think to find out how to use them safely (very easy with google) before using them.

51 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Its a major failure that there was no education campaign explaining how to safely use them. Also perhaps a major failure of our education system that so many did not think to find out how to use them safely (very easy with google) before using them.

Is it at all practical for the public to use masks safely?

Taking them off and  putting them on repeatedly as they enter/leave multiple shops means they have to touch the masks. The masks need to be stored [in a pocket?]

If they change to a new disposable mask each time, how many masks/day will they need? That is expense and, there are reports on the environmental issues arising from all the plastic in all the abandoned masks.

1 hour ago, avalunche said:

Or perhaps they simply feel that wearing them is pointless and uncomfortable for a disease that 99.5% of people survive, and that the government stupid edicts should be resisted not complied with? 

I Agree.

If you were to ask any medical professionals who routinely use face masks, they would tell you they are used and then instantly dis-guarded.    The way we use them, repeatedly, touching them all the time, adjusting, makes them utterly worthless.  Its pure theatre that we are wearing them.  Others who know more about diseases and our immune system tell us that what we are doing is actually weakening our immune system!

There are also many medical professionals who wear masks only because they are forced to, and, they have to stay quiet as, putting forward their reasons why compulsory masking is counter productive, puts their job at risk.

Its pure theatre that we are wearing them.  

It is. Well put.

The following is not high theatre..

A high degree of compliance will maximise the impact of universal masking in public. The global shortage of surgical masks and N95 respirators is a serious concern. In line with the recent recommedation by US CDC for healthy people to wear a cloth face cover in public [14], we strongly support the use of cloth masks as a simple, economic and sustainable alternative to surgical mask as a means of source control for general community use, so that disposable surgical masks and N95 respirators can be reserved for use in health care facilities. Such intervention is likely to be life-saving in many resource limited settings.

https://erj.ersjournals.com/content/early/2020/04/27/13993003.01260-2020

I won't be chucking my mask into a crowd.

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

No one wants to pay to use masks correctly,  IE use for 15 minutes then throw them away, for a disease with a 99.5% survival rate.  Same as no one wants Boris to spend 100 billion of public funds  on constantly testing us for that same disease.  Perhaps if it was serious and millions were dying, then yes.  But not for something that overwhelmingly kills those who are well past average life span and with comorbidities.. 

Its a criminal overreaction, that has led to numerous avoidable deaths due to denying tax payers access to the NHS that they are heavily taxed for - and still does this to this day.  Better make sure you don't get ill in the foreseeable future as you will be on your own!

What has surprised me, is how pathetic, and weak minded our people are. How easily they accepted illogical tyranny with barely a complaint.  A tribute to our dumbed-down education system I guess.

Edited by avalunche

6 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

The following is not high theatre..

A high degree of compliance will maximise the impact of universal masking in public. The global shortage of surgical masks and N95 respirators is a serious concern. In line with the recent recommedation by US CDC for healthy people to wear a cloth face cover in public [14], we strongly support the use of cloth masks as a simple, economic and sustainable alternative to surgical mask as a means of source control for general community use, so that disposable surgical masks and N95 respirators can be reserved for use in health care facilities. Such intervention is likely to be life-saving in many resource limited settings.

We've heard it a thousand times. How about addressing the point raised a few posts back, that masks are not being used in a safe manner, and my suggestion that it may be virtually impossible to use masks in a safe manner?

Edited by onewheeldave

I am now thinking that Sheffield  along with Nottingham and  maybe other cities has had extra  measures imposed  because of high numbers of student cases.  We now cannot  meet with our own families in our own homes. This was allowed to happen by the Government and the Universities and was  I believe predictable.  I am not sure how much the students themselves are responsible but their interests seem to have been put ahead of those of the rest of us.

8 minutes ago, Common Tater said:

I am not sure how much the students themselves are responsible 

If the reports and pics of loads of freshers going to Corp nightclub last month is true, then I'd say a fair bit.