Coronavirus - Part Two.

11 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I read that alot of breast cancer screenings were missed as well. Small businesses are disappearing everyday - mine is clinging on by its fingertips, the entire industry is clinging on by its fingertips. I'm not saying it isn't a painful **** show (one that's been horribly mismanaged) but what's the option? Don't say Sweden.

The best option would be a functioning public health system - see many Asian countries that seem to be coping just fine.

For us though its either mass unemployment or large numbers of deaths and long term illnesses. It's become painfully apparent we can't manage this. We could do a lot better if we stopped outsourcing, but we all know that's not going to happen under this government (which we have for at least another 4 years).

I was shopping in the Home Bargain store today & noticed none of the staff were wearing facemasks although they were mixing with customers. I spoke to  one of the customers who wasn't wearing a mask. When I asked her she said she hadn't got one.

We keep hearing about the government fining people for ignoring the anti virus guidelines but how do shops carry on trading & completing ignoring their customers welfare by not having any guidelines  or just simpliy turn a blind eye to the actions of customers who blatantly are putting others health at risk.

If the government or local authorities  were keener with the store managers as a health & safety risk this would soon have a good effect. It would be interesting to read what opinions others have on this  post .  Happy Days! 

Yes I agree but it's not only shops. I went into town on the bus today and at least 4 people had masks on but had them pulled down under their chins. I can't see them point in that. Surely if they're aware of the need to wear a mask at least wear it properly. I worry that a lot of people are becoming very complacent.

21 hours ago, Longcol said:

How many billions have HMG thrown at "Track & Trace" - only to find that their main IT system appears to be an Excel spreadsheet.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/05/ministers-accused-of-putting-lives-at-risk-with-covid-data-error

Can you get any more incompetent?

Seeing as you can buy Excel for between about £60 and £130 I wonder who pocketed the rest of the money from the contract.

1 hour ago, PopT said:

I was shopping in the Home Bargain store today & noticed none of the staff were wearing facemasks although they were mixing with customers. I spoke to  one of the customers who wasn't wearing a mask. When I asked her she said she hadn't got one.

We keep hearing about the government fining people for ignoring the anti virus guidelines but how do shops carry on trading & completing ignoring their customers welfare by not having any guidelines  or just simpliy turn a blind eye to the actions of customers who blatantly are putting others health at risk.

If the government or local authorities  were keener with the store managers as a health & safety risk this would soon have a good effect. It would be interesting to read what opinions others have on this  post .  Happy Days! 

Report them to the police. I believe they are keen to set some examples.

30 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I think it would be better to have a word with the Store Manager/Manageress,  if your not pleased with the response,  mention your going to report it to their head office or the police. 

35 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I just ask anyone unmasked to stand away from me.

To be fair, I don’t encounter too many anti-social types

I thought I read somewhere that individual police officers had targets they were supposed to meet for arrests/cautions etc.  If that is so, you would have thought that "soft" targets such as those not enforcing the rules/people not wearing masks (after asking for evidence that they are not exempt of course) would neatly get figures up to targets.  Ditto large groups of people people in/sitting outside pubs and so on.

2 hours ago, PopT said:

This is so strange - I was in a Home Bargains yesterday (not a Sheffield branch)

and the complete opposite was the case, All the staff had masks on and if anything were keeping their distance from customers. 

I think it is down to each branch manager by the look of things.

Keep safe

21 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Maybe you need to acknowledge that masks, distancing and hand hygiene are all simple, but effective steps in combating a serious threat to public health.

That, and the fact that unless we all act together, this thing will become even worse than it is now.

We are doing that. Sanitizer is absolutely everywhere. Masks on pretty much everyone. Distancing where possible. 

So what next? As mentioned in this thread plenty of times, industries are hanging by a thread. The BBC have reported half a million redundancies are likely to come. Entire sectors are at risk and to add to that the public are turning on each other even more so now their education, jobs, treatments and livelihoods are at stake. People are and will become desperate. 

If even 10% of those affected by redundancies (and I'm aware this is drastic) end up dying due to suicides or knock on effects from losing their jobs (homelessness, illnesses, lack of treatment) it will have killed more people than the virus has in the UK

Simply saying stick a mask on and wash your hands is not going to cut it, nor is locking down. 

1 hour ago, Tomm06 said:

We are doing that. Sanitizer is absolutely everywhere. Masks on pretty much everyone. Distancing where possible. 

So what next? As mentioned in this thread plenty of times, industries are hanging by a thread. The BBC have reported half a million redundancies are likely to come. Entire sectors are at risk and to add to that the public are turning on each other even more so now their education, jobs, treatments and livelihoods are at stake. People are and will become desperate. 

If even 10% of those affected by redundancies (and I'm aware this is drastic) end up dying due to suicides or knock on effects from losing their jobs (homelessness, illnesses, lack of treatment) it will have killed more people than the virus has in the UK

Simply saying stick a mask on and wash your hands is not going to cut it, nor is locking down. 

I think it will be an awful lot more than half a million. Small businesses (under 20) don’t have to do consultations for redundancy. Government seems happy to bin the arts off so that’s a lot of people signing on. 

But arguably, sticking a mask on, washing your hands and keeping your distance does work. What have Germany done that’s radically different? Their population (90%) have complied.