Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

According to the link posted below, covid has killed, in the UK, 0.06% of the population. Conclude from that what you will. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Current daily death rate in the UK is 34 [for context 450 die of cancer/day in the UK].

As I suspect you are somewhat aware of, the deaths caused by the lockdown, through ruined lives, mass unemployment, suicides and lack of access to medical treatment are going to be considerable but currently there seems to be close to zero interest or acknowledgement of those deaths- I'll leave to you to decide whether you think they could grossly outweigh the damage of the actual virus.

And there were 1,431 covid related deaths on 8 April before the effects of lockdown kicked in.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19uk/deathsoccurringbetween1marchand30april2020        (section 6)

3 hours ago, Easy livin said:

The consequence is that a tiny percentage of already poorly people would have shorter lives.

That's it 

In total.

No it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I wish it was, but it isn't.

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

It is only due to non-adherence to the rules that lockdown has had to happen.

It is only due to adherence to the rules that UK borrowing between April and August totalled £173.7bn

3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

Current daily death rate in the UK is 34 [for context 450 die of cancer/day in the UK].

and why is it only 34?

because we had a lockdown march to july?

people wearing masks?

handwashing?

social distancing?

what would deaths be like without all those?

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and why is it only 34?

people wearing masks?

handwashing?

social distancing?

38?

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

and why is it only 34?

people wearing masks?

handwashing?

social distancing?

AFAIK Boris ordered lockdown when he was shown a paper that estimated without a lockdown the UK was facing 500,000 deaths. Up to then he still believed in "herd immunity".

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

38?

Something more than 1,431 is much more likely.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/116/?tab=comments#comment-8369029

What's really strange at minute us the low level of infection in Africa

The WHO just put some figures out in last hour ,say death toll might hit 2 million before a vaccine is ready .

Being following this lady since the start.

Her take on herd immunity

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/health/coronavirus/prof-devi-sridhar-herd-immunity-minority-view-which-shows-complete-disrespect-young-people-2980536%3famp

3 hours ago, Litotes said:

I conclude that covid has killed 0.06% of the population.

I am not aware of the figures of deaths caused by the lockdown - perhaps you can provide the facts?

Are you aware of the potential deaths caused by Brexit and there seems to be "close to zero interest or acknowledgement of those deaths"

But on the otherhand, we can reduce the impact of covid by wearing masks, adhering to social distancing and being responsible.

And if we do that, then we can also avoid mass unemployment, suicides and enable access to medical treatment.

It is only due to non-adherence to the rules that lockdown has had to happen.

Wear a mask, don't become a statistic...

And don't believe the naysayers who rally against the impact of the virus.

A thousand likes for this ^^

12 hours ago, Easy livin said:

The consequence is that a tiny percentage of already poorly people would have shorter lives.

That's it 

In total.

It’s not.

But simple maths seems to be beyond you, so I give up. 

9 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

38?

That’s a really silly comment.

Without our current measures, Covid would be out of control. We could easily be seeing several hundred deaths per day again. Maybe more.

Stop agitating against reasonable measures. Wear a face covering. Keep your distance. Wash your hands. Don’t be an idiot.

Beat it together.

Edited by Pettytom

PettyTom

As a starting point, I think it’s widely agreed amongst the morally alert in society. That there is a duty to be a minimally decent Samaritan, that is, one should go out of one’s way to help another if it entails little cost to oneself.

Wearing a face covering, and socially distancing are of little cost to oneself-it's not a great deal to ask. And by doing so we are helping one another get on with life.

Consequently ,we will beat it together.

My only objection to wearing one is that I've noticed that my mouth corners, and the area immediately under my nose, tend to sting a bit after wearing one for any length of time. 

9 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

38?

Your post said 34 so I used that, stop moving things once people pull you up on it, you was doing it before With longcol saying what he quoted wasn't right

Edited by melthebell