Coronavirus - Part Two.

49 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

My dentist is open. It’s not easy to get an appointment, but they are certainly open

Only for Emergecy cases.

2 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

You can go on and on about the covid deaths, in the absence of getting some idea of the deaths that will result from the lockdown hysteria, it's fairly meaningless.

The vast majority of those 40,000 were in the main extremely ill and would likely have died in the very near future anyway.

So, you think it's a good idea to send cancer patients to a hospital to get chemo )which reduces the immune system) where there a load of covid patients?

37 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

That was not the point being made and you know it. Emotive responses like that are just fuel for derailing this thread.

Any death is tragic. However, the important question to be asked is should the deaths of 40,000 people, significant numbers of whom already had underlying conditions or other causes of for their fatalities be sufficient grounds for causing widespread disruption, catastrophic effects to economy and in some cases risking death from other causes to the wider population.

Alarming as the alleged covid related death rate is.... thinking bigger picture it is still insignificant compared to the numbers of the national population. 

As others have pointed out it is all well and good the news, governments and every talking head focusing on the big scary numbers of covid infections but what no-one is talking about is how hard lockdowns, economic damage and cancelling other health services has potential to lead to severe damage or even risk death for everybody else.

Where exactly does the line get drawn.  41,862 dead looks scary.  0.06% dead doesn't.  

Anyone can cherry-pick numbers in headlines to make them look dramatic.  On the other hand its not wholly unreasonable to see why SOME people think there is a lot knee-jerk heavy handed reaction to try and find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist

So what should we doing then? Open up as normal but lock granny away in total isolation for 12 months? 

We aren't doing much different to the rest of the planet are we?

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

So, you think it's a good idea to send cancer patients to a hospital to get chemo )which reduces the immune system) where there a load of covid patients?

Aren't Covid patients on segregated wards?  I would have thought so.

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Yes they are. Even if they’re suspected or have been exposed they’re placed in side rooms and barrier nursed until they have a couple of negative tests.

Most inpatients have a test before they’re admitted, and then if they’re still in hospital are retested every 5 days (on our ward anyway).

Edited by nikki-red

2 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Yes they are. Even if they’re suspected or have been exposed they’re placed in side rooms and barrier nursed until they have a couple of negative tests.

Most inpatients have a test before they’re admitted, and then if they’re still in hospital are retested every 5 days (on our ward anyway).

Cheers, now I can go and get a chest Xray I have been putting of for several moths, 

10 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Cheers, now I can go and get a chest Xray I have been putting of for several moths, 

NHS England is even planning covid-free hospitals during a second wave. Some hospitals in England to be kept Covid-free in second wave

A series of hospitals will be designated as coronavirus-free zones during the second wave of the outbreak in a significant policy shift designed to ensure the NHS continues treatment for cancer and other conditions, the Guardian has learned.

NHS England is determined not to repeat the widespread suspension of normal service that occurred in the first wave, which doctors and charities have criticised for damaging patients’ health, leading to more deaths and creating a backlog of millions of treatments.

54 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

It wasn't the first time, but hopefully we've learnt. 

I thought Boris might have shut pubs Mon to Thurs as they dont do much week days and normal opening Fri- Sat- Sun.  :huh:

3 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

The vast majority of those 40,000 were in the main extremely ill and would likely have died in the very near future anyway.

Wrong again - although you keep repeating it  - "underlying conditions" (which are attributed to about 95% of covid deaths) and "at deaths door / extremely ill" are two separate things.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/96/?tab=comments#comment-8368062

53 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Wrong again - although you keep repeating it  - "underlying conditions" (which are attributed to about 95% of covid deaths) and "at deaths door / extremely ill" are two separate things.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/96/?tab=comments#comment-8368062

Yes, I recall refuting your confused claim. For whatever reason/s you do not listen to what I'm actually saying- try these

https://patient.info/news-and-features/covid-19-coronavirus-what-is-an-underlying-health-condition

https://www.who.int/classifications/icd/Guidelines_Cause_of_Death_COVID-19.pdf?ua=1#:~:text=There is increasing evidence that,to COVID-19.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

It wasn't the first time, but hopefully we've learnt. 

Some wards were made into 'Covid wards' first time, same thing can happen again.

11 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Where does it say people with underlying conditions are "extremely ill"?

btw your "refutation" was refuted - so you started banging on about Sweden again soon afterwards.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/97/?tab=comments#comment-8368098

Edited by Longcol