Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

People have a short memory... 

At the height of the original pandemic we were being actively advised not to wear masks. 

So why the panic now? 

Incidently, I wear a mask simply to avoid confrontation, not because I believe it does much good. 

Well I agree. I’m not at all convinced masks make a huge difference - it’s the widespread incorrect use of them that bothers me most.  There are lots of people using none too clean masks, those seemingly using them as a chin warmer and those taking them on and off with unclean hands. 

I predicted cases would rise with kids going back to school and more people returning to the workplace. Viruses spread in crowded, poorly ventilated indoor spaces even with masks. The government eased restrictions too quickly.

6 minutes ago, redruby said:

Well I agree. I’m not at all convinced masks make a huge difference - it’s the widespread incorrect use of them that bothers me most.  There are lots of people using none too clean masks, those seemingly using them as a chin warmer and those taking them on and off with unclean hands. 

I predicted cases would rise with kids going back to school and more people returning to the workplace. Viruses spread in crowded, poorly ventilated indoor spaces even with masks. The government eased restrictions too quickly.

The whole point of the face covering is to restrict the spatter that comes out of your mouth. It would be great if they were all sparkly clean, but it really doesn’t matter much if they are a bit dirty.

In any case, they do work and it is the law that you have to wear them in shops.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

I agree to an extent. However, simply opening everything up will result in thousands, or possibly tens of thousands of deaths. So, opening up requires caution. 

I can do most things that I want to do in a mask. I can easily keep a couple of metres away from others. They seem like simple steps that could potentially save many lives. I’ve no objection to doing either. I’ve also go a good stock of soap and hand gel.

I’m also out of patience with all of the anti-masker “civil liberties” moaners. 

Your problem there is "I" most people couldn't care less if you can do most of your things, they're concerned about the things they can't do and that's something I'm hearing a lot from people. 

"Well I'm alright so they can lockdown for years as far as I'm concerned" 

Could in this situation is a very key word. I don't know how long it takes but I haven't received any alerts from any of the bars/pubs/restaurants I've been to. 

Another issue we're seeing now is we are all getting sick of each other because we seem to be unable to have a genuine discussion anymore that doesn't result in emotional bickering. This thread is over 100 pages of case and point. 

14 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

Your problem there is "I" most people couldn't care less if you can do most of your things, they're concerned about the things they can't do and that's something I'm hearing a lot from people. 

"Well I'm alright so they can lockdown for years as far as I'm concerned" 

Could in this situation is a very key word. I don't know how long it takes but I haven't received any alerts from any of the bars/pubs/restaurants I've been to. 

Another issue we're seeing now is we are all getting sick of each other because we seem to be unable to have a genuine discussion anymore that doesn't result in emotional bickering. This thread is over 100 pages of case and point. 

Outline a few of the things that you can’t do whilst wearing a face covering in a public place.

18 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Outline a few of the things that you can’t do whilst wearing a face covering in a public place.

Almost if not all sports. Pubs, bars, restaurants. You can't distance at sports events, cinemas or other entertainment venues without having a heavily reduced maximum capacity. 

More to the point, wearing them for long periods of time is very awkward. I applaud the employees of various companies that I see wearing them all day long as personally it would irritate me. Like most, I can cope with having to stick it on for a few minutes to nip in to a shop or whatever, but I wouldn't fancy it for say, the entirety of a match, or the length of a film. I'd say theres a possibility numbers would drop so substantially on recreational places that they wouldn't be profitable. 

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Tinfoil towers are helping out 3 oldies. I'm not sure what happens if this is brought into play.

That's good of you đź‘Ť

12 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

Almost if not all sports. Pubs, bars, restaurants. You can't distance at sports events, cinemas or other entertainment venues without having a heavily reduced maximum capacity. 

More to the point, wearing them for long periods of time is very awkward. I applaud the employees of various companies that I see wearing them all day long as personally it would irritate me. Like most, I can cope with having to stick it on for a few minutes to nip in to a shop or whatever, but I wouldn't fancy it for say, the entirety of a match, or the length of a film. I'd say theres a possibility numbers would drop so substantially on recreational places that they wouldn't be profitable. 

Sheffield Wednesday owe me for part of last year’s season tickets and probably all of this season. A sum of well over £1000, so I fully get the sport thing. I miss it, but there are bigger things at stake.

Pubs are fine though. I’m happy to see the end of the scrum at the bar. Good pubs will make it through this.

I still don’t see the issue with wearing a mask and keeping apart. It’s easy, it works and it will hasten our route back to normality.

3 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

We were advised not to wear them at the time because there was a global shortage due to ever country buying them up and most of them being manufactured in China who were, at that time, shut down as they fought to stop the virus spreading within their own populations.

The advice of that time not to wear them wasn't medical advice, it was about the best use of resources at the time. The supplies we could get at that point were needed for front-line NHS workers and other key workers.

Over time the problem of shortages eased as more manufacturing turned towards producing them. Our first lockdown succeeded in reducing the spread of the virus to low levels and at that point it became a better use of resources, not to mention a necessity if we were to reopen from lockdown, to get people reduce the risk of infection spreading again by wearing masks so that more of the virus-laden water droplets we breath out would get trapped in the mask. It's not something you need to believe in, it's been proven science for well over a century. Had people actually done this rather than throwing a hissy fit then there would have been a good chance that we wouldn't have almost 5000 new confirmed infections today, 10x the number we had in July.

That might very well be true, in fact I'm sure it is, but that was not what the government were saying at the time. 

We were all being comfortably reassured that masks were not necessary for all sorts of reasons, in fact they were more dangerous because they spread a 'false sense of security and made people careless,' 'we were not wearing them correctly,' 'they were not up to the required standard' (are they any better now?) etc and after all, we were only 'following the science.' 

Actually, they were trying to cover up their own inefficiency in not having enough PPE instead of admitting it from the outset.  And that's the problem with Boris, everything comes with its own hidden agenda, the truth has to be dragged out of them like pulling out fingernails. It is this sort of government U turn / misinformation / lying, that has made people angry and suspicious of anything they say.

They treat us like idiots. We have the internet, we can find the truth out for ourselves. Tell the truth in the first place and they might gain our respect.  

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Go to a decent live music event. Go to a theatre outside the West end. Go to a professional football match.  Go to a wedding with more than 15 people. Go to a real exhibition. Go to a concert. Go to an event.

I can go on. I'm not saying I disagree with the restrictions imposed but they are going to really really hurt.

7 minutes ago, Anna B said:

That might very well be true, in fact I'm sure it is, but that was not what the government were saying at the time. 

We were all being comfortably reassured that masks were not necessary for all sorts of reasons, in fact they were more dangerous because they spread a 'false sense of security and made people careless,' 'we were not wearing them correctly,' 'they were not up to the required standard' (are they any better now?) etc and after all, we were only 'following the science.' 

Actually, they were trying to cover up their own inefficiency in not having enough PPE instead of admitting it from the outset.  And that's the problem with Boris, everything comes with its own hidden agenda, the truth has to be dragged out of them like pulling out fingernails. It is this sort of government U turn / misinformation / lying, that has made people angry and suspicious of anything they say.

They treat us like idiots. We have the internet, we can find the truth out for ourselves. Tell the truth in the first place and they might gain our respect.  

What's your definition of the truth Anna?

40 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Regarding BoShambles I think you'll find lying, laziness and incompetence rather than a hidden agenda.

His aspiration to be a Churchill for the 21st century will get as far as being a nodding dog on the parcel shelf of a car.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/22/its-boristime-v-coronatime-and-theres-only-ever-one-winner

Edited by Longcol

17 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Regarding BoShambles I think you'll find lying, laziness and incompetence rather than a hidden agenda.

His aspiration to be a Churchill for the 21st century will get as far as being a nodding dog on the parcel shelf of a car.

I agree, from what I’ve read he’s disillusioned with the office of PM and the salary. The virus seems to have spoiled his jolly and I think there’ll be another spat with the back benchers when latest measures don’t work and he has to limit contact between households in the run up to Christmas 

9 hours ago, Pettytom said:

The whole point of the face covering is to restrict the spatter that comes out of your mouth. It would be great if they were all sparkly clean, but it really doesn’t matter much if they are a bit dirty.

In any case, they do work and it is the law that you have to wear them in shops.

I rather think it does matter if someone puts a virus contaminated mask over their mouth and nose and/or takes a mask on or off with virus contaminated hands. I understand the point of masks protecting others (to a degree) but if someone contaminates themselves using a mask incorrectly then that is way for the virus to spread and that person could then  pass it to vulnerable person in their household.