Coronavirus - Part Two.

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

People have a short memory... 

At the height of the original pandemic we were being actively advised not to wear masks. 

So why the panic now? 

Incidently, I wear a mask simply to avoid confrontation, not because I believe it does much good. 

Simple short answer regardless of your thoughts,

Because it is law 

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

No, I'm just taking into account the deaths caused by the lockdown itself- those from mass unemployment, mental illness, cancer patients not treated etc, etc. As well as the consequences of civil liberty erosion.

So you keep on saying. The less Covid we have, the fewer restrictions we have and the better mental health we will all have.

Allowing Covid to run riot will lead to more cancer patients not being treated, as hospitals will be over run by Covid cases. So that’s a total red herring of yours.

Putting a bit of cloth over your nose and mouth and standing 2m apart is hardly an erosion of your civil liberties. 

It’s time that all of the stupidity stopped and people grew up a bit.

9 minutes ago, butlers said:

Does seem the countries where Mandatory mask wearing are doing better.

Not so sure about that as its not possible to tell if face masks have helped, but of course if the numbers go down then they must have and if the numbers go up its because they aren't being worn.... 

However, I have always stated that not being mandatory for all was a mistake.

Hong Kong China,Germany ,New Zealand.

Hong Kong and China are two places where they are already well prepared for pandemics so having the necessary infrastructure to deal with pandemics has helped a great deal. Being Communist has helped as well as people do what they are told to by the state. In Germany because of the low infection rates they want the mandatory wearing of them relaxed as it affecting business.

I carry a mask ,wear where I am meant too and go about my day.

I do as well so as to comply with the law.

I don't feel crushed by the state .

Maybe not just yet but in 6 months time....

Can't say it brings joy to my heart ,but it's where we are .

Thank goodness the virus arrived in Jan. this year half the winter period was gone.

The idea we are going to go into this winter period with confirmed cases numbers maybe high as the April peak is dispiriting.

Bit in Guardian today about those face shields some retail staff wear

27 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

All of them to differing degrees.

Probably correct but I do remember you once saying masks helped to significantly stop the spread and as pointed out before, the infection rate is still very small. It was able to be controlled before the wearing of masks was the norm just from lockdowns. When it was eventually introduced on 24th July the R rate was 0.7-0.9, and since their introduction the R rate has risen.

16 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

...The less Covid we have, the fewer restrictions we have and the better mental health we will all have.

No, the less covid we have will be because of those greater restrictions being in place.

Edited by apelike

14 minutes ago, apelike said:

Probably correct but I do remember you once saying masks helped to significantly stop the spread and as pointed out before, the infection rate is still very small. It was able to be controlled before the wearing of masks was the norm just from lockdowns. When it was eventually introduced on 24th July the R rate was 0.7-0.9, and since their introduction the R rate has risen.

It was controlled before by everyone staying at home. If people want a relatively normal life there are two choices. Either mask up and keep your distance, or accept that your selfish behaviour will cost thousands of lives. 

By “your” I’m talking generally, by the way, fully noting that you do wear a mask.

17 minutes ago, apelike said:

No, the less covid we have will be because of those greater restrictions being in place.

What else has happened since the 24th July?

Well here are a few establishments close to home that won't have the problem of a 10pm closing for the near future. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/health/coronavirus/four-sheffield-pubs-closed-after-customers-found-singing-dancing-hugging-and-kissing-2979816

It's establishments like these & their customers that provide the Govt with with the evidence that a tougher line is needed. 

33 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

It was controlled before by everyone staying at home. If people want a relatively normal life there are two choices. Either mask up and keep your distance, or accept that your selfish behaviour will cost thousands of lives. 

By “your” I’m talking generally, by the way, fully noting that you do wear a mask.

Wow. 

31 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

Wow. 

Is there a particular bit that made you go “wow”.

Or were you overcome by the indisputable truth of my post?

6 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Is there a particular bit that made you go “wow”.

Or were you overcome by the indisputable truth of my post?

I'm more interested in what you would class as a relatively normal life? 

The things in life we do recreationally to enjoy life are quite difficult to do with a mask and distanced. Ultimately we're doing exactly that now and I wouldn't call life relatively normal - but I suppose that depends on what the individual classes as 'living' 

I think we're in an interesting period, lock down helps but is not sustainable across a nation/planet. Opening up sees an inevitable case rise that some may say isn't as much of an issue, some will see it as catastrophic, the government have to err on the side of catastrophic. We can't however keep going in these circles. 

2 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

I'm more interested in what you would class as a relatively normal life? 

The things in life we do recreationally to enjoy life are quite difficult to do with a mask and distanced. Ultimately we're doing exactly that now and I wouldn't call life relatively normal - but I suppose that depends on what the individual classes as 'living' 

I think we're in an interesting period, lock down helps but is not sustainable across a nation/planet. Opening up sees an inevitable case rise that some may say isn't as much of an issue, some will see it as catastrophic, the government have to err on the side of catastrophic. We can't however keep going in these circles. 

I agree to an extent. However, simply opening everything up will result in thousands, or possibly tens of thousands of deaths. So, opening up requires caution. 

I can do most things that I want to do in a mask. I can easily keep a couple of metres away from others. They seem like simple steps that could potentially save many lives. I’ve no objection to doing either. I’ve also go a good stock of soap and hand gel.

I’m also out of patience with all of the anti-masker “civil liberties” moaners.