Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Just heard the PM speaking in the HoC about the new restrictions, (fully backed by Keir Starmer),  which he said is looking like they may be in place for the next 6 months, (yes, SIX MONTHS), & the PM also stated if they don't look as though they are working, further restrictions would be applied. 

The message was clear, pubs, bars & restaurants to shut at 10pm, work from home again, where possible, increased fines for those not complying. 

Well there you have it.  You wanted decisiveness, you got it.  I now await comments that these measures are now draconian & go to far; the government is trying to control the masses, etc?

Weve been shutting before 10 and doing table service anyway since we reopened.....everybodys caught up with us now lol

1 hour ago, Easy livin said:

Next to come.

£100 fine for parking in a spot used by someone else if you have not disinfected to it.

And then smiling in the direction of a pensioner

You're joking, but the way things are going, I would not be surprised if it came to pass :(

50 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Equally, if people had stop up against the lockdown in the first place, we might not be in this [lockdown] mess now.

That’s a great idea. Stand up against the lockdown and watch the bodies pile up. 

Some people.

Chief Medical officer says unless we can get a grip we are heading for 85,000 deaths over the winter period 

13 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

That’s a great idea. Stand up against the lockdown and watch the bodies pile up. 

Some people.

No, I'm just taking into account the deaths caused by the lockdown itself- those from mass unemployment, mental illness, cancer patients not treated etc, etc. As well as the consequences of civil liberty erosion.

1 hour ago, Leadhammer said:

I  personally don't think the government has gone far enough, off the top of my head.

I'm still seeing lots of people walking into my local convenience store in the area I live not wearing a face covering almost to the point that I've thought have I missed a news article or briefing on tv , but I haven't and it totally frustrates me I agree that its important to keep the economy moving but id like to see the door marshals back with the idea in mind no face covering no entry with maybe the option to purchase one at the entrance to enable entry,

this virus isnt going to go away if people keep with the I'm alright jack attitude really grinds my gears.

People have a short memory... 

At the height of the original pandemic we were being actively advised not to wear masks. 

So why the panic now? 

Incidently, I wear a mask simply to avoid confrontation, not because I believe it does much good. 

18 minutes ago, Anna B said:

At the height of the original pandemic we were being actively advised not to wear masks. 

So why the panic now? 

Incidently, I wear a mask simply to avoid confrontation, not because I believe it does much good. 

Then you should do a bit more research. There is mounting evidence that masks limit the spread of Covid. Your beliefs are irrelevant.

Does seem the countries where Mandatory mask wearing are doing better.

Hong Kong China,Germany ,New Zealand.

I carry a mask ,wear where I am meant too and go about my day.

I don't feel crushed by the state .

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Then you should do a bit more research. There is mounting evidence that masks limit the spread of Covid. Your beliefs are irrelevant.

What type of masks does the evidence support? Is it all masks including face coverings or some masks?

3 hours ago, iansheff said:

I see Sturgeon has banned visiting other households, I wonder when Boris will follow her and do the same here. She has also advised people against sharing car journey's with people from other households.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nicola-sturgeon-bans-household-visits-134724271.html

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/politics/scots-nationwide-ban-visiting-other-houses-unveiled-nicola-sturgeon-2979838

Tinfoil towers are helping out 3 oldies. I'm not sure what happens if this is brought into play.

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

What type of masks does the evidence support? Is it all masks including face coverings or some masks?

All of them to differing degrees.

But, I suspect that you know that and are just being obtuse.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So why the panic now? 

We were advised not to wear them at the time because there was a global shortage due to ever country buying them up and most of them being manufactured in China who were, at that time, shut down as they fought to stop the virus spreading within their own populations.

The advice of that time not to wear them wasn't medical advice, it was about the best use of resources at the time. The supplies we could get at that point were needed for front-line NHS workers and other key workers.

Over time the problem of shortages eased as more manufacturing turned towards producing them. Our first lockdown succeeded in reducing the spread of the virus to low levels and at that point it became a better use of resources, not to mention a necessity if we were to reopen from lockdown, to get people reduce the risk of infection spreading again by wearing masks so that more of the virus-laden water droplets we breath out would get trapped in the mask. It's not something you need to believe in, it's been proven science for well over a century. Had people actually done this rather than throwing a hissy fit then there would have been a good chance that we wouldn't have almost 5000 new confirmed infections today, 10x the number we had in July.