Coronavirus - Part Two.

5 hours ago, Longcol said:

Presumably you can provide a link to the pdf download?

I can supply this which is a link to the pdf download where I got the data from. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+percentage+of+the+uk+dont+have+a+mobile+phone&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB919GB919&oq=what+percentage+of+the+uk+dont+have+a+mobile+phone&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.23567j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As stated it is from 2014.

5 hours ago, Longcol said:

Another link showing UK mobile ownership by adults a good deal less than 97%.

https://www.finder.com/uk/mobile-internet-statistics#:~:text=In 2019%2C 79% of UK,is spent on social media.

I think you will find that that link is mainly about mobile internet usage on a mobile phone by age group, not by ownership and not general mobile phone use. Although it does state that around 79% on UK adults own a smart phone it seems to vary on who is doing the survey. Many older people like me do not have or use a data package that allows them to surf the net away from home and use the phone mainly as a phone. 

Edited by apelike

4 hours ago, Pettytom said:

That’s really not true.

I'm quoting the ONS.

According to Statista, 4% of households don’t have a mobile at all. 20% of households only have one phone.

Also according to Statistica...  "Currently, approximately 95 percent of households in the United Kingdom (UK) own a mobile phone" (2018) Yet it also states that in 2017, there were 79.17 million mobile subscriptions in the UK, across the entire population of 66.04 million inhabitants. Not much difference to the ONS data of 78.5 million. So it seems there are more mobile phones about than people by the looks of it.

Edited by apelike

5 hours ago, apelike said:

I'm quoting the ONS.

Also according to Statistica...  "Currently, approximately 95 percent of households in the United Kingdom (UK) own a mobile phone" (2018) Yet it also states that in 2017, there were 79.17 million mobile subscriptions in the UK, across the entire population of 66.04 million inhabitants. Not much difference to the ONS data of 78.5 million. So it seems there are more mobile phones about than people by the looks of it.

Many people own more than one phone, for a variety of purposes. Which leave the obvious possibility that ....

Fill in your own gap.

57 minutes ago, melthebell said:

God you lot argue some crap

I've stopped myself from posting on SF for a good fortnight plus now, mainly because I'd noticed that across a number of threads, the 'arguments' (and I use that term very loosely), have become a never ending circle of banal point scoring & absurdities, rather than taking the argument forward. 

Your comment above, Melthebell, has to be the most insightful posting in a long while. 

23 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I've stopped myself from posting on SF for a good fortnight plus now, mainly because I'd noticed that across a number of threads, the 'arguments' (and I use that term very loosely), have become a never ending circle of banal point scoring & absurdities, rather than taking the argument forward. 

Your comment above, Melthebell, has to be the most insightful posting in a long while. 

Well I try lol

Yeah I don't 'jump' into many debates on here recently too cos of the point scoring, when I do I do try to post facts, or post against something I see as wrong.

Back on topic now please.

If you really want to discuss how many people own mobile phones feel free to start a thread about it.

Just been listening to the press conference from Chief Medical Officer, Chris Whitty & Chief Scientific Advisor, Sir Patrick Vallance, laying out the current scientific evidence, numbers & where the UK could be heading if the current numbers are extrapolated.   Perfectly presented without histrionics, just laid out the bare facts. 

To sum up. Carry on, as at present, come mid to late October, 50,000 cases & around 200 deaths per day.  

Clearly the facts from Whitty & Vallance are rubbing some in society up the wrong way?  Even by the end of the press conference, the two of them were, according to the radio, already trending on Twitter, # sack Whitty & Vallance.  Oh, dear! 

Thank God, Twitter isn't real life.  

Edited by Baron99

16 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Just been listening to the press conference from Chief Medical Officer, Chris Whitty & Chief Scientific Advisor, Sir Patrick Vallance, laying out the current scientific evidence, numbers & where the UK could be heading if the current numbers are extrapolated.   Perfectly presented without histrionics, just laid out the bare facts. 

To sum up. Carry on, as at present, come mid to late October, 50,000 cases & around 200 deaths per day.  

Clearly the facts from Whitty & Vallance are rubbing some in society up the wrong way?  Even by the end of the press conference, the two of them were, according to the radio, already trending on Twitter, # sack Whitty & Vallance.  Oh, dear! 

I listened to it as well and was astounded at the oversimplification of the numbers offered. The obvious problem with the highlighted statement is that cases and deaths have become disassociated. The recent increase in cases has not resulted in an increase in deaths because of the age profile of those cases. HMG or SAGE haven't offered any evidence that these will become associated again now that society has extreme countermeasures in place at all levels. 

Another question that I haven't seen answered is whether there are enough vulnerable people left to have the correlation we saw before, or are they already dead? 

Right now, the predictions are zombie statistics supported by junk science. We should be careful not to put too much reliance on them.

17 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Nothing particularly new or surprising in there but more of a preamble for the government to follow up with whatever measures they deem fit to impose.

The basic rules of hygiene and sensible social distancing remain the same for most people whilst the Cabinet has to balance the economy against the health of the nation.

I don’t think that there should be much confusion in understanding the day to day rules which apply in a particular area,but there has been much evidence of a lack of truth and consistency over the last few months.

Statistics have been manipulated and absurd promises made concerning testing which remains the major failure of the government

33 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Nothing particularly new or surprising in there but more of a preamble for the government to follow up with whatever measures they deem fit to impose.

The basic rules of hygiene and sensible social distancing remain the same for most people whilst the Cabinet has to balance the economy against the health of the nation.

I don’t think that there should be much confusion in understanding the day to day rules which apply in a particular area,but there has been much evidence of a lack of truth and consistency over the last few months.

Statistics have been manipulated and absurd promises made concerning testing which remains the major failure of the government

Well I don't recall either Whitty or Vallance commenting on test & tracing situation but then again, these two things have been used as political ping-pong with various figures banded about & what we had here are a couple of men of science who only deal in facts. 

Clearly what we had today was the facts & now we await the policy.

The PM will use today's info briefing, tomorrow in his address to the nation, either impose a tightening of the lockdown screw or use it as a last & final warning of a future lockdown?   

I think the hospitality industry will take a bit of a hit again in some way? 

Think back to the televised briefing when the national lockdown was lifted a couple of months ago which Whitty spoke at & all the talk was optimistic & about getting yourself out to the pubs & restaurants to spend money & rejuvenate that sector of the economy, albeit with caveats of maintaining social distancing & regular hand washing?  I remember the look on Whitty's face that he didn't look entirely happy being at that press conference. 

Also at this press conference, it was clearly stated that if people failed to follow the social distancing / hygiene advice & the numbers started to climb, restrictions would be re-imposed, with pubs & restaurants taking a hit at the expense of keeping the schools & other areas of industry open. 

Edited by Baron99

Well, I see this mornings briefing by the scientists was, quite simply, an opportunity missed.  The opportunity to engage people who are fed up with the politicians, especially the key 18-40 age range.  I was bored by the end of it, and if I was, those considerably younger than me would have been.

Why didn't they focus on facts close to them, such as the report that the huge rise in infections in Bolton was traced to one bloke coming home from holiday, ignoring 14-days of self-isolation, going out boozing with his mates and infecting them, and those out drinking in different pubs as they went on a pub crawl. I posted this link at post #1094

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-54205353

Add that to the fines for ignoring self-isolation, and the ability to report people for lock-down breaches, and you should see a big effect on attitudes.