Coronavirus - Part Two.

8 minutes ago, butlers said:

Again not looked recently but wasn't Sweden the it EU country to try leaving economy mostly open.

And the upshot,  very similar economic damage as it's nordic neighbours but with 5 fold the death rate.

New Scientist ,if you want to go look

Sweden's "success story";

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2251615-is-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-a-cautionary-tale-or-a-success-story/

4 hours ago, ivan edake said:

What I can't understand is the fact that the government puts all these measures in place then allows car boots to take place all over the country and also various demonstrations.Both these activities attract thousands of people who are all close together.I was also surprised that not only has Blackpool illuminations been allowed to take place they have been given a two month extension.Allowing these activities is a bad decision,small wonder youngsters organise booze ups and quite rightly think they have the right to organise a similar crowd mixing activity.

Even more oddly, Blackpool isn't doing to bad on covid numbers compared with the rest of Lancashire. 

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Even more oddly, Blackpool isn't doing to bad on covid numbers compared with the rest of Lancashire. 

Maybe people catch it in Blackpool but it gets recorded in their home town when it develops a week or so down the line? Seems to have happened here in France. Where we live is a very popular tourist destination but covid cases are minimal.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Didn't you read the first paragraph of the link?

"About 15 million people in England have a long-term condition (1). Long-term conditions or chronic diseases are conditions for which there is currently no cure, and which are managed with drugs and other treatment, for example: diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, arthritis and hypertension."

Yes.

Most, if not all, conditions which leave the sufferer especially vulnerable to covid are also long term. 

The converse isn't true- many long term conditions do not mean the person is especially vulnerable to covid [eg autism]

'Vulnerable to covid' is a sub-set of 'long term conditions' and therefore smaller.

Originally, in direct response to my-

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

I've no problem with vulnerable people shielding [if they choose to, equally, if they choose not to, that's their decision]. It makes far more sense for the vulnerable to be in quaranteen, rather that everyone.

you said

That's about 25% of the population of England, Where is the infrastrucure to ensure they get food deliveries etc? Who is going to do their jobs presuming they're not retired?

i.e. that the vulnerable make up "about 25% of the population of England"

I asked for a link- you instead provided one saying that 25% of the population have long term conditions, of which the vulnerable are a smaller subset. 

If you are going to maintain that 25% of the population are vulnerable, you need to provide a link to that- do you have one?

1 hour ago, catmiss said:

At the beginning of lockdown in March NHS sent letters to everyone who had a longstanding health condition which made them ‘extremely vulnerable’  to the virus advising them to shield and pack a suitcase in case of hospital admission. Given the rise in infection rates shouldn’t these people be supported, if they choose, to shield again?

Yes, I think that those who are especially vulnerable to covid should, if they choose to shield, be supported. And everyone who is not especially vulnerable, should get back to their working lives.

I think if that had been done the first time round it would have made a lot more sense, and, the cost of supporting the self isolating vulnerable would have been minor compared to the economic devastation caused by locking down everyone.

6 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Yes.

Most, if not all, conditions which leave the sufferer especially vulnerable to covid are also long term. 

The converse isn't true- many long term conditions do not mean the person is especially vulnerable to covid [eg autism]

'Vulnerable to covid' is a sub-set of 'long term conditions' and therefore smaller.

Originally, in direct response to my-

you said

i.e. that the vulnerable make up "about 25% of the population of England"

I asked for a link- you instead provided one saying that 25% of the population have long term conditions, of which the vulnerable are a smaller subset. 

If you are going to maintain that 25% of the population are vulnerable, you need to provide a link to that- do you have one?

https://healthpolicy-watch.news/one-in-five-people-could-be-more-vulnerable-to-severe-covid-19-because-of-underlying-conditions-but-only-4-at-high-risk-concludes-lancet-study/

Still waiting for a response to "fine scientific minds" who disagree with aspects of lockdown.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/93/?tab=comments#comment-8368027

There's loads, I'm just not good at remembering contingent facts like names. However someone's just posted a link about Sweden- Anders Tegnell was basically the person behind Sweden's strategy, he clearly disagreed with aspects of the lockdown- he's a chief epidemiologist.

Just now, onewheeldave said:

There's loads, I'm just not good at remembering contingent facts like names. However someone's just posted a link about Sweden- Anders Tegnell was basically the person behind Sweden's strategy, he clearly disagreed with aspects of the lockdown- he's a chief epidemiologist.

Sweden's strategy gave them a much higher death rate than neighbouring countries and you're citing him as an expert????

Just now, Longcol said:

Sweden's strategy gave them a much higher death rate than neighbouring countries and you're citing him as an expert????

He is a chief epidemiologist.

Done yourself there.

He is  chief epidemiologist for the gov.

The previous one ,said they likely got it wrong maybe about April from memory

In June,on review,   he also agreed they should have locked down harder

Edited by butlers

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Again, that's not saying that 25% of the population are especially vulnerable to covid- it's saying that "We estimated that 1·7 billion (UI 1·0–2·4) people, comprising 22% (UI 15–28) of the global population, have at least one underlying condition that puts them at increased risk of severe COVID-19 if infected (ranging from <5% of those younger than 20 years to >66% of those aged 70 years or older). "

When it says "We estimated that 349 million (186–787) people (4% [3–9] of the global population) are at high risk of severe COVID-19 and would require hospital admission if infected (ranging from <1% of those younger than 20 years to approximately 20% of those aged 70 years or older)."

that is referring to the vulnerable- note they make up 4%, not 25%.

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And the outcome of his advice has given Sweden a much higher death rate than neighbouring countries.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2251615-is-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-a-cautionary-tale-or-a-success-story/

You wanted names of scientists/experts who disagree/d with some aspects of lockdown- there are many, he is one of them.